My first real overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Eidelmaim, Mar 9, 2013.

  1. Eidelmaim

    Eidelmaim Guest

    Hey guys.

    Ok, so this is my first attempt at a overclock of my CPU
    currently i have a Intel cor i7 930 comes in at 2.9... my bios (asu
    sabertooth x58 mobo) has a feature for overclocking the processor up t
    3.2 as a auto clock... heres what i want to achieve... the current aut
    clock only clocks to 3.0 under demand so the cpu is running at 2.9 al
    the time until i start gaming than clocks to 3.2 ... i want to manua
    clock to between 3.4 and 3.8 or if the cpu will take it stably 4.0 ...
    do have a aftermarket cooling solution that keeps my cpu at 38.c a
    idle and does not go above 42.c under load (ambient case temp is 46.c)

    the case i am using is a raidmax full tower with 8 cooling fans tota
    providing a positive pressure cooling flow with 2 fans exhausting ou
    the top, 2 fans are providing flow across my GTX 660 and 2 fans ar
    providing flow across the CPU cooling tower with one fan directl
    attached to the tower its self.

    so what i need to know firstly is.. can this CPU be clocked up to what
    want to achieve... as i am aware that intel put a limitation on some CP
    that prevents overclocking unless its a *unlocked* cpu.

    and secondly, this is my first ever CPU overclock so i will need lots o
    help and a detailed walkthrough so i can learn and better understand th
    process of overclocking for future OC rigs.

    i have included a few links to what this build looks like and th
    cooling tower that is in this beast.

    'Image 1
    (http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/... Computer/IMG_20130307_141322_zps10963823.jpg)
    'image 2
    (http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/... Computer/IMG_20130307_141334_zps4ba62842.jpg)
    'image 3
    (http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/... Computer/IMG_20130307_141431_zps3dbddc36.jpg)

    Thanks again to the entire community for any help you all can provide.

    Eidel

    Eidelmaim, Mar 9, 2013