    on it started working just fine. It's a couple of years old. Would the battery fail in that short a time?

    Any advice appreciated.

    Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), Florida

    Jackson, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Jackson

    Andrew Guest

    : It has been plugged in for months, so the battery must be fully
    : charged. But today we lost power (thank you, Dennis),
    : and so I booted it up on its battery and after ten minutes it
    : blinked twice and shut itself off.

    : This can't be normal behavior. I have always used it plugged in
    : before, never on battery. When the AC power came back on it started
    : working just fine. It's a couple of years old. Would the battery
    : fail in that short a time?

    Yep. Batteries don't last very long if not treated well. My laptop
    is just over two years old, and the battery that lasted two hours when
    I bought it now lasts about 20 minutes if I'm lucky. As you've
    learned, I learned that leaving the battery in while the AC power is
    plugged in is bad for the battery. I even found this in my Toshiba
    owner's manual - I suspect you will too if you look at your laptop's
    manual. My manaul suggests you remove the battery if plugged into the
    wall for a certain amount of time.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----