    doesn't experience this.

    Thanks,
    Frank

    Frank Le, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Frank Le

    Raja Guest

    Did you get any extra memory chips from other manufacturers? I just
    got a T40 with a 512MB extra RAM from crucial and it gets heated up in
    the bottom. I read in this group that Crucial and T40 doesnt match
    that well. IF u added extra memory, try removing it and see if it
    generates the same heat. Im going to try that with my T40 tonite and
    post the results.

    -Raj

    Raja, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Frank Le

    George Mills Guest

    My T40p with 1gig 7200 hdd does not get that warm. My toshiba s1 with 1gig
    did not either.

    It wa the crucial card I had and I am having issues, waiting for ibm card
    now.

    George Mills, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Frank Le

    Frank Le Guest

    Thanks for sharing.

    Yes, I added one 256 _IBM_ memory module, and yes the modules get
    really hot as well. This is definitely a concern in addition to my
    original concern about it generates heat (more than I expect) in the
    fan area.

    I assume your T40 is Intel Centrino as well?

    Regards,
    Frank

    Frank Le, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Frank Le

    Frank Le Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    Please note that I have 2 IBM memmory modules and they still get really hot!

    Regards,
    Frank

    Frank Le, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Frank Le

    Bill G Guest

    Frank, I have an R40 Centrino 1.5, just received it last week and I have
    not noticed a problem with excessive heat. It has 512 MB of
    IBM-installed RAM. Cannot compare it with another laptop since I have
    not had one for about six years. I am using it now, on my lap with a
    wireless connection and I do not notice any excessive heat. Running on
    the battery now not the adapter.

    Bill G

    Bill G, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Frank Le

    Raja Guest

    Frank
    I should say that when running on battery and downloading a lot of
    files yest, it *DID NOT* generate as much heat as the previous day.
    The first day, i was charging my battery for the first time and i
    could really feel the heat from the side as well as the bottom., I
    played with it for almost 1.5 hrs last nite and dint notice any
    heating issues when running under battery. I have to try it tonite
    with the power option and see if that generates any heat.
    And yes, my T40 is a Centrino - 1.5M, 237372U.

    -Raj

    Raja, Sep 11, 2003
  8. Frank Le

    Frank Le Guest

    Hi Bill,

    After reading your post, I should consider return it or really
    question IBM. However, I'd like to really confirm with you since you
    used the word "excessive" , I would describe mine is
    "uncomfortable/unbearable" if I put it on my laps, running on battery
    or not. Especially the memory area gets really hot. I paid a premimum
    to get IBM qualities, therefore, I'm just being careful :)

    Frank

    Frank Le, Sep 12, 2003
  9. Frank Le

    Frank Le Guest

    Thanks Raj for keeping me update. I've been running my notebook for a
    week now. Are you comfortable to put it on your lap (running on
    battery)? It's almost unbearable for me to do that. This is the reason
    I asked in the first place.

    Frank

    Frank Le, Sep 12, 2003
  10. Frank Le

    Bill G Guest

    Frank,

    I can just tell you this ... right now the R-40 is sitting on my lap ..
    no problem with heat, I consider it just warm .... running on battery.
    Not uncomfortable at all .... I suspect you may have a problem. This
    may sound stupid but I am wearing shorts and the R-40 is resting
    directly on my legs. There is no problem with the heat as far as I am
    concerned. I did a simple experiment which may help you .... I have a
    thermometer with a wire attached to a thermocouple for sensing outside
    temps. I placed the external probe between my laptop and my lap. It
    stabilized at 101.2 degrees F,at least it is moving so slowly at that
    temp it is almost stabilized. Body temp is 98.6 Degrees F so that
    should give you an idea of the heat. Not exactly a scientific
    experiment. Do not know how accurate the thermometer is but even if it
    a few degrees off that is not bad. Again, my R-40 is the 1.5 Pentium M
    with 512M of IBM installed RAM. 60 G hard drive ... DVD/CD-R/W.15 inch
    LCD ..

    Good luck

    Bill G.

    Bill G, Sep 12, 2003
  11. Frank Le

    Del Tribute Guest

    May I drive you off-topic and ask where you got the 7200RPM HD in your T40?
    Would the same drive fit in an R40? and what do you mean "1gig"? cani
    assume that's a typo and you mean 100 gig?

    Del Tribute, Oct 7, 2003
  12. Frank Le

    Zafar Kazmi Guest

    For anyone experiencing heat issues with their centrino thinkpads, I
    will recommend an upgrade to the latest BIOS. The earlier version of
    bios (at least that of T40) had a bug which caused it to heat up
    significantly.

    Zafar

    Zafar Kazmi, Oct 8, 2003