My KG7-Lite ram upgrade tale of woe

Discussion in 'Abit' started by LarryLard, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. LarryLard

    LarryLard Guest

    Hello all,

    I recently decided to get some more ram for my system (which is based
    on a KG7-Lite). This is the story of what happened, how I found help
    here without having to ask, and how YOU get to have a say in the
    ending :)

    The original system:

    KG7-Lite mobo
    Athlon 1400
    2x512MB sticks of ram, maker unknown
    Main HD: Seagate ST380021A 80GB
    Video card: MSI GeForce3 Ti500

    The plan: This system probably wants replacing, as it's getting on a
    bit, but I thought I would try and wring one last upgrade cycle from
    it. So the plan was to go to 2x1Gig sticks of ram, take the video card
    up as high as mobo compatibility will allow, and stick with it for
    another 6-12 months.

    So I go over to Crucial and tell their configurator I have a KG7-Lite.
    Wonderful, it says, here are 2 1Gig sticks of unbuffered ram goodness,
    350-ish pounds, thank you kindly. These arrive (as is Crucial's wont)
    within a few nanoseconds of the order being placed. Then the fun
    begins...

    Old sticks out - new sticks in. System won't boot, beeps like this:
    long on / long off / long on / long off. Memory problem, I says to
    myself. New sticks out, old sticks back in. Same thing. Oops.

    Research time! And I find out (too late of course - if I had known
    this then I wouldn't have started this malarkey) from here (mostly)
    that

    The KG7 has the tightest RAM slots IN THE WORLD.

    Trip to Maplins to buy squirty air in can, and contact cleaner /
    lubricant in can. Quick squirt, quick spray, shove memory in and then
    give it a little extra push - you can feel it going another step in! -
    and it boots!

    Might as well get the BIOS up to date while we're here. Flash from 4J
    up to the latest DS. Still boots ok, memtest is happier than it's ever
    been, job done, right?

    Wrong.

    Try and boot into Win2K - missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe

    For a long while I struggled with the idea that perhaps I had lost
    some vital BIOS setting for my hard disk while doing the BIOS upgrade
    (this was partly becuase I know that I was a fool for not manually or
    otherwise recording all the BIOS information before flash upgrading
    it!), that perhaps Windows' idea of the disk geometry was disagreeing
    with the BIOS' idea, that some setting should be Auto instead of
    Disabled or vice versa. Played around with a few of these.

    Then I landed on a thread in aus.computers (of all places!) containing
    this remarkable quote:

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=>

    "Compatibility issues with different types of ram. motherboards and
    operating
    systems is nothing new."

    This thread was started by someone who was getting this same error
    message following the installation of some new Kingston ram. So very
    similar to my case.

    The final test was obvious. 2 new sticks out, 1 old stick back in -
    give it a shove, boot up. Into Win2k. No problem. No escaping the
    conclusion.

    So what do I do now? I have 2 gig of not-exactly-cheap ram - Crucial
    no less! - which seem to break Win2k on this machine. Return this, get
    kingston, pray? BIOS fiddling? Like the OP of the aus.computers thread
    says, "I still can't understand how dodgy RAM would affect an OS file
    like this."

    Thanks for reading, and sorry this has been so long. Any advice?

    LarryLard, Apr 1, 2004

  2. LarryLard

    - HAL9000 Guest

    The program (ntoskrnl.exe) doesn't reside on the hard disk when it is
    run (executed). The program is first copied to memory (as all
    programs are) and then executed from memory. If things (data) can't
    be written/read to memory properly then, of course, ntoskrnl.exe will
    be corrupt in memory - hence the reporting of the problem. The file
    isn't corrupt. The file gets corrupted when an image of it is put in
    memory. Since this particular file/program is extremely important -
    it is checked for integrity before it is executed.

    To solve the problem - slow down the memory. This is done with bios
    settings. You should find that you'll have to slow the system down
    more with two sticks of RAM then with one.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Apr 1, 2004

  3. LarryLard

    LarryLard Guest

    Thought I should swing by and say thanks, that worked a treat... had a
    play around with various bios settings as found in threads here over
    the years, eventually settled on just dropping the FSB back to 100
    from 133; it was happy at anything up to about 120 but I like
    headroom. Now I can run memtest test5 and even the prime95 torture
    test for ever and ever with no problems at all :)

    LarryLard, Apr 4, 2004
  4. LarryLard

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Good deal.

    If you get bored one day, you can go back and play with the settings -
    it's fun :)

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/