    do to fix this? I'm not very computer savvy, so any simple solutions would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Happy new year.

    The Hanrahans, Dec 31, 2004

  2. ?? Under Windows, no less? I thought these things never happened
    under Windows.

    Check Dell's website and see if they have downloadable BIOS upgrades.
    If they have a BIOS more recent than in your model, that may be
    your solution. Can't help you much with the details, though.

    Pierre Asselin, Dec 31, 2004

  3. The Hanrahans

    Lee Rich Guest

    You might try the newsgroup alt.sys.pc-clone.dell and post your Dell
    questions there. There are a lot of helpful people on that group.

    Lee

    Lee Rich, Dec 31, 2004
  4. The Hanrahans

    bobb Guest

    Super-stupid question: Does the fan come on at all?

    bobb, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Yes, the fan comes on quite a lot.

    The Hanrahans, Jan 2, 2005
  6. The Hanrahans

    bobb Guest

    OK, at least we know now the fan is not broken.

    Reset bios to factory and reconfigure and see what happens. Be sure it
    says Power Management=ON. Go to the Dell's specific forum and ask for
    help there if you are unsure how to go about this. Dell has one 1
    year warranty?

    The vents may have become choked with dirt, use some compressed air on
    them but the best way is to dissasemble the unit and clean, but that's
    dissassembly typically is not for the faint of heart.

    Ur kids know not to use the notebook on any soft surface (ie. bed)
    without some sort of rigid pad right?

    bobb, Jan 2, 2005
  7. The Hanrahans

    scott_19512 Guest

    I have had a Inspiron 1000 for about a year now. It does get warm if
    you block
    any vents or fan exhaust. My thought is the computer is shutting down
    because of this overheating. As long as you here the fan working it
    should cool ok.
    Are you aware that the fan does have two speeds. The higher fan speed
    will kick
    in if the cpu gets really warm. I would check with Dell especially if
    its still
    in warranty. Maybe you have a loose heatsink for the cpu which may
    cause the
    cpu to shut down. It would be expensive to have to replace CPU if you
    fry it!

    scott_19512, Jan 3, 2005