    used Malwarebytes and AdAware full scan. They found a few, but I had them
    cleaned. I ran it again, with zero results the 2nd time. Ideas, anyone?
    TIA, Paul

    Paul H, Jul 19, 2010

  2. Paul H

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In "Paul H"
    What's your measure of speed? Running programs locally, or accessing the
    Internet?

    When you run Task Manager and look at the "Performance" tab, what do you
    see?

    Look at the "Processes" tab, sorted on CPU; what's at the top? What
    percent of CPU capacity is consumed by the top few processes?

    What do you see on the "Networking" tab when you think there's nothing
    going on?

    Bert Hyman, Jul 19, 2010

  3. Paul H

    Bob Villa Guest

    You mentioned disk clean-up? Have you used CCleaner? Run MB in
    SafeMode if you can.

    Bob Villa, Jul 19, 2010
  4. Paul H

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    I have just cleaned up such a case.
    Check whether the hd is in pio mode instead of dma mode.
    Procedure:
    right-click my computer, select hardware, device manager,
    then click on IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    Check each of the disk channels(advanced mode) whether dma
    is selected and used.
    If not , delete the channel(s) and reboot.
    On reboot they re-install automatically and try to use dma.
    When successful, speed increases about twentyfold.

    Sjouke Burry, Jul 19, 2010
  5. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    What is MB?

    Paul H, Jul 19, 2010
  6. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    Running the programs. Once loaded (very slowly), IE access using Google is
    like lightning! Task Manager shows nothing out of the ordinary.

    Paul H, Jul 19, 2010
  7. Paul H

    Bob Villa Guest

    You have it, MalwareBytes.