My Mac vs your Mac (Was: This year's iMac vs. last year's)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Priam, Aug 6, 2009.

  1. Priam

    Priam Guest

    I couldn't sympathize more with you since I had a similar problem. It's
    not that I'm not rich enough to buy those nice Macs... but I'd rather
    keep things this way.

    So, finally, I found a Mac that suits my needs and wallet. The problem,
    if you have space concerns, is that it looks more like a Mac Pro than a
    iMac. But check the specs compared to an iMac:

    Triple Core 2.8 GHz CPU | 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P mobo | some unknown lowest bidder mobo
    4 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3
    9400GT video card 1 GB RAM | 9400M with 256MB *shared* memory
    640 GB Western Digital HD | 320 MB Samsung HD
    Asus VW246H 24" 2ms monitor | 20" Lucky Goldstar monitor

    Price US: ~ $850 | $1,2000

    If you really need Bluetooth, WiFi and Firewire 800 -- the Gigabyte
    board "only" has Firewire 400 and 10 USB2 ports -- extra cards will set
    you back another $100, but it would be cheaper to buy a mobo with those
    integrated. But let's say a total of $950.

    It's "only" $250 less than the 20" iMac, but you get your 24" monitor,
    twice the RAM at higher speed, twice the HD space, a much more powerful
    CPU, a way better video card and enough space and PSU power to add extra
    HD. Even if it was the same price, it would already be a pretty good
    deal. Now you get $250 off!!!

    And, that's not all. Whereas the iMac runs proprietarized BSD-Unix
    software, my Mac runs open-source Linux-Unix. So you get all your
    software for free.

    Of course, if, like all those who spend about 16 hours a day on this
    group, you're a professional and you intend to shell out $1000 for Final
    Cut Studio, I do suggest you stay with Mac.

    Otherwise, Linux will provide you the likes of LiVES and KDEnLive, which
    will offer you all the HD video editing options you'll ever need, and more.

    So, if, unlike everybody on this group, you don't drink Laphroaig
    whiskey all day long while the money comes in, my Mac might be a sound
    alternative. :)

    Priam, Aug 6, 2009