my new 2001FP 20 inch LCD is doa

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Chris, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    My new Dell 2001FP monitor will no longer power on after just a few
    minutes (1-2) of use. It just acts dead.

    This is just an FYI for those who are starting to get their new
    2001FPs from Dell, case anyone else has the same problem. Any similar
    experiances posted here would be appreciated.

    ----------

    I plugged in my new 2001FP that I recieved today, and it seemed at
    first to be ok. I didnt have it plugged into my computer yet and the
    power lights and everything worked fine.

    I then plugged in the DVI cable (the one that came with the monitor)
    to my known good nVidia 4600, with the VGA connector still connected
    to my old Viewsonic 17" monitor. After switching the dive to use both
    DVI and VGA connectors (dual head) the LCD started working as the
    secondary. I then went to settings to change the new LCD to be the
    primary.

    *** Sometime between when I looked away to change the settings and
    looked back the power light on the monitor blinked a little and then
    went dead. ***

    I then for the first time looked at the monitors external power brick
    (2001FP has external power brick) and the green light was very dim.

    After unplugging DVI, and re-plugging the power in to the external
    power brick, the light on the brick would be solid green for a few
    seconds (power light on monitor would blink a little) and then go dim
    and then completly off.

    -----------

    After that I tried lots of things including just the brick by itself
    streight to the wall. If I let it sit for 5-10 minutes it would go
    green for a while when plugged in.

    It seems like either the power brick is bad or the monitor is killing
    it. Some devices have internal thermal fuses that separate and go
    back after sitting for a while. I dont know....

    I called tech support and getting a replacement "in the next 3-5
    business days", but I have no idea if that means it will ship in 3-5
    or if it will arrive in 3-5.

    I am worried that being this close to Christmass if maybe I will even
    see it in the next few weeks. I am also worried that I will get a
    used or refurbished one, when this was clearly DOA. I just paid for a
    new one.

    Chris, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Chris

    V@H Guest