    " printed in a foreign language"

    Printed to me, means printed as in, on paper, rather than "displayed" as
    in, what would appear on a computer display.

    Irene, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Don Linder

    Notan Guest

    Well, OP, which is it?

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Don Linder

    PC Medic Guest

    I generally avoid them (whiners) myself, but if you are going to flame, I
    wish they would at least be honest about their experience.

    PC Medic, Jul 14, 2004
  4. This is my first foray into this group and I have to comment on this
    thread. I bought a new Dell system (xp) in April and upgraded
    several items at that time. No one mentioned to me that 256 mg of ram
    isn't enough to get any kind of satisfactory output from this machine,
    that I should have been told I needed 512 mg......

    The programs Dell has put on this machine are a pain. For example,
    I will never buy McAfee. They drive me crazy taking over the machine
    much too often when I first log on "updating," without my input on
    whether it's a good time or not. At the same time, they've missed
    some emails containing a virus that Norton found through Earthlink
    and removed. AOL is there. I haven't used it and even tried to
    cancel but was told to wait until a few days before my "free trial
    period" was up. Microsoft's Outlook Express is there. I've had
    Forte' Agent for years and consider it the sweetest little software
    program for email and newsgroups available, bar none. Even though I
    have designated Agent as my default mail/newsgroup....the system
    doesn't always accept that, telling me periodically that my default
    mail system isn't set up properly.....No question Dell and Microsoft
    are in bed together..... I'm just about ready to tell Microsoft's
    Internet Explorer sayonara and go back to Netscape (although, didn't I
    hear that Microsoft bought them out too?) There are some programs on
    the machine I haven't even looked at yet.

    Be forewarned that when you buy Dell, in addition to Windows you
    become a captive audience to most of Microsoft's other programs, which
    they will all unceasingly bug you to buy when their trial period is
    up. I'm somewhat amazed by this as I thought this was the problem
    raised in the government's lawsuit against Microsoft. This is my
    fourth computer, my first factory Dell, although I did have a Dell
    clone that was built for me, and I never had any complaints with my
    previous three.

    In addition to Dell having a support center in India, I have to deal
    with Earthlink (not for much longer, I think) which also has their
    support centers in other countries. I have to wonder if Earthlink
    purposefully keeps cutting off my connection to the net whether I'm on
    the web or in my email program in an effort to upgrade my account from
    standard dial-up or they just don't have anyone locally (i.e., in the
    U.S.) working on local problems. I think when I try to connect and am
    told "unable to connect with the remote computer," they aren't kidding
    about the "remote" part. Boy do I miss the good old days.

    Incidentally, Irene, you've written some good responses, but I've
    gotta ask: you don't seriously think Michael Dell personally reads
    emails from his customers, do you?

    The consumer complaint group * www.planetfeedback.com is what I
    consider the best way to go. Complaints can be sent there and they
    will post the problem and also forward a copy to the company in
    question. Actually, it's a good place to go when researching items
    you wish to purchase.

    *this url will take you to Intelliseek....there, on the right hand
    side you will see where to click if you are a consumer.

    Virginia Taylor, Jul 15, 2004
  5. If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.

    You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.

    You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.

    Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.

    In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to this
    group.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Jul 15, 2004
  6. I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
    company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
    we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.
    Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
    loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
    who's to say they give one their pick?
    This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
    had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
    doesn't tell you about the garbage.
    Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
    latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.
    I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
    troll? Why don't you get a life?
    and which company do you work for, Rocky? Dell? Microsoft?

    Virginia Taylor, Jul 15, 2004
  7. Lol...your post speaks for itself.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Jul 15, 2004
  8. more squirrel droppings by a stupid squirrel. you're the biggest troll in
    this ng. can't you go find a tire to run under?

    stupid squirrel alert, Jul 15, 2004
  9. Don Linder

    Irene Guest

    Sadly, as does yours.

    Irene, Jul 15, 2004
  10. Don Linder

    Lenny Bruce Guest

    I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
    Windows XP will run OK with 256 megs but 512 is better. Dell's computer is
    complete but you need to have some minimum knowledge of what your computer
    will be used for and theeven hardware and software requirements. You don't
    need to be an expert. Freedom to customize requires knowledge to make
    choices. There is no one size to fit all. Home use computers can run from
    about $500.00 to $3,000.00 Obviously, there's a great deal of difference in
    what you can get.

    I object to Dells maketing $350 computers with 128 mgs of ram shared with
    video. There was an ad in today's Wall St. Jrl. This may be good marketing
    but is misleading. As in everything else, knowledge is power and the
    ignorant get burned.
    Just go to Dell's web site. The choices are clearly described. You could
    have asked a computer knowledgable friend for help or even posted your
    question in this group before your bought.
    This is the advantge of going to a local store and receiving advise and
    personal service. You pay a little more, but in your case, it would have
    been beneficial. Dell's web site DOES tell you everything being installed,
    but you have to read and understand what they are saying. You don't seem
    interested in learning even the basics of computers. Just a suggestion, you
    might look into a Mac for your next computer.
    You can use other email and news reader programs but you would also need to
    learn how to install them.
    I think Rocky was a little hard on you. You're not a Troll (a newsgroup
    trouble starter).

    Lenny Bruce, Jul 15, 2004
  11. Don Linder

    kgold Guest

    Netscape was bought by AOL.

    What you want to try is Mozilla, the open source browser. You might
    hit a rare "IE only" web site, but OTOH most malware targets IE, not
    Mozilla. If you have a slow connection, Mozilla's tabbed browsing is
    wonderful.

    kgold, Jul 15, 2004
  12. Thanks. I'll check them out...

    Virginia Taylor, Jul 16, 2004
  13. Unfortunately, I'd had such good luck previously, it never occurred to
    me this one wouldn't be of the same quality. I paid over one thousand
    for it, not including some of the extras I picked up at Fry's, and was
    told that would get me a good machine.
    How about a knowledgable son that's in the business? Can you believe
    I didn't even run it past him? As for posting in this group, I didn't
    even think of it until yesterday, letting my frustrations get the best
    of me and keeping me offline. Incidentally, I'm not saying all my
    problems are Dell related...Earthlink seems to be having some problems
    that add to mine.

    Also, I couldn't check out Dell's website as I couldn't get into my
    previous machine, which indicated memory module problems.
    Then I've misled you. I'm a big advocate of stand-alone auxiliary
    programs such as Agent, Netcom, Netscape,etc., having set up a number
    of them and using without any problems. My problems didn't start
    until I bought this Dell.
    Now you sound just like my son.
    This is what my present frustration is all about. I do know how to
    install and use them, they just don't function on my present
    equipment. I'm going to add another 256 mg of ram, and see if that
    helps. But I have to insist that I truly believe some of if not most
    of my problems are due to the fact that this Dell machine was set up
    to use the programs that came with it (example: when opening AOL, it
    announces Dell and AOL......) and doesn't make it easy to use one's
    own choices.

    I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to my tale of
    woe....v

    Virginia Taylor, Jul 16, 2004
  14. Don Linder

    shayne Guest

    You'll probably find the prices better at crucial.com then at Dell.

    By the way the reason you originally caught flack from some morons
    who post on the group is that you had the audacity to say something
    negative about Dell. However, there are more than enough helpful,
    knowledgable people here to make up for the few jackasses.

    Shayne

    shayne, Jul 16, 2004
  15. Don Linder

    S.Lewis Guest

    About 10 days ago, picking up an extra 256mb of RAM for a 4600 (2 x 128) was
    about $30 cheaper at crucial than adding it on the small business website,
    fwiw....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 16, 2004
  16. Apparently you did not go through Dell's "customize" process with your
    computer order. This would have allowed you to choose between McAfee
    vs Norton, and AOL vs Earthlink, and you'd have seen all the 3rd party
    software that would have (or could have) been included.

    However, when I ordered a Dimension 2400 (bottom of the line, special
    sale deal) machine for my missus, I found that "customizing" it would
    have lost the low price. So I had to take it as is. And delete all
    the puckey myself (including the myriad and redundant icons that
    littered the desktop--geez I hate a messy desktop).

    There have been threads in this group in the past on how to remove
    unneeded software. Asking for help here is likely to be more useful
    than grumbling about Dell, Microsoft, et al.

    --John W. Wells

    John W. Wells, Jul 16, 2004
  17. Don Linder

    Hank Arnold Guest

    You're joking, right? I've overheard (and even had) several discussions
    between sales personnel and customers in places like Circuit City, Best Buy,
    etc.. In general the level of understanding on their part is minimal. They
    are selling a product. I've heard statements that, to be kind, were
    misleading and wrong. I would ***NEVER** recommend buying a system at one of
    these places..... Let's not even discuss tech support for problems....

    I've known people who bought Dell computers without asking me or anyone
    else. These are computer illiterate people and every one was happy with what
    they bought. I was the only unhappy one since if they had talked to me
    first, I could have configured the system better, cheaper and more
    upgradeable, but they are very happy customers, regardless.

    Hank Arnold, Jul 16, 2004
  18. Don Linder

    Hank Arnold Guest

    This is what I've always experienced with buying components from Dell after
    the original machine is received. It's always been cheaper to buy from
    Crucial than from Dell.

    Lately, however, I've found that adding the memory as part of configuring a
    machine is more often cheaper than ordering it from Crucial. Up until
    recently, prevailing wisdom was to order minimum memory and order additional
    memory from Crucial. Doesn't seem to be the case now. Often it's better to
    get the memory from dell and give up the rebate. Used to be the opposite.

    Hank Arnold, Jul 16, 2004
  19. Don Linder

    Pinger Guest

    All true statements... also agree on Mozilla Firefox browser.. no pop ups
    with it either.. Find it a tad faster then IE on our cable system...

    Pinger, Jul 21, 2004