    luckly my intel e7500 is still alive so is my old 9400 gt
    is the new brand a good brand or should i call him and tell him to put
    different one i

    PcGAmeR22, Apr 20, 2012

  2. PcGAmeR22

    Paul Guest

    The Dell hard drive has a recovery partition. If you ever want
    to restore the OS to factory conditions, you can use that recovery
    partition. The Dell OEM OS should only install, if a Dell motherboard
    is detected. (The BIOS SLIC table, is how the OEM OS knows it is
    to activate automatically.)

    If you put an Asrock motherboard in its place, then you'll have
    future problems with OS restoration. It might require installing
    Windows again, using the license key on the computer case sticker,
    to make it work. The license key on the sticker, is not the same
    as the restore partition license key.

    You want to "write down" the license sticker value, before parting
    with the computer case. That license key is useful if the OS
    needs to be reinstalled. You should not let them keep the
    old computer case, until you've recorded the license key value for
    the future.

    Before taking the computer home from this "repair", be absolutely
    certain you understand what they've done to the OS, and whether
    anything they've done, affects your future usage of the computer.
    Ask them how they got Windows to run, with the Asrock motherboard
    present, and if at some future time you need to reinstall Windows,
    what they used to do the reinstallation. Perhaps they should give
    you a CD with a copy of the OS they used, so you can reinstall
    the OS if needed, some day in the future. If they're misleading
    you on the details of this, you may find you'll need to go back
    to them, pay another $200, to have the OS put back. Make sure you
    understand what they've done, and insist it be done right, before
    you leave.

    Don't leave the store, without physical possession of the sticker
    on the Vostro case, or at least write down the numbers/letters
    on the sticker.

    *******

    The computer case would likely need to be changed, because the
    new motherboard doesn't fit in it.

    But when I look at this picture, the motherboard layout looks pretty
    conventional (microATX). I would question them, as to why the computer case
    needed to be changed. The Asrock motherboard likely has the same
    outline as this motherboard does. Only the front panel header pins
    might be different, and a wire assembly can be re-wired if that
    is the case. (Dell uses 2x5 with four pair cable harness - the Asrock
    could use something different, line a 1x4 for computer speaker etc.
    You can rewire or re-pin to fix this, if you're good at repairing
    computers.)

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos230/en/sm/MT/sysbd_diagram.htm

    *******

    Asrock motherboards range from good, to ones which should be
    labeled "not for noobs". I have an Asrock LGA775, which
    required considerable experimentation, to make it work.
    (The clock generator cannot be adjusted, because the wrong
    code is in the BIOS.) I ended up, using a hacked BIOS from a
    German web forum, to get the most from my Asrock motherboard.
    So the boards vary as to how good they are.

    You would need to mention the model number of the Asrock
    motherboard, and "google" the model number, to get more info
    on how good it is. Asrock hardware design can be decent, but
    sometimes their BIOS design efforts are pitiful. (They release
    many BIOS updates, without fixing the bugs the users want them
    to fix.)

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 22, 2012

  3. PcGAmeR22

    Eidelmaim Guest

    seeing how you had to have a new motherboard installed and it is mos
    likley using a different chipset... i ran into the issue of the O
    having to be reinstalled... to ge around having to buy a new license yo
    can call microsoft.. and this does work, i have used it several time
    before... tell them you have replaced the motherboard in your compute
    because it went bad and windows will not activate... DO NOT tell the
    that you have a new case, they will tell you its a different computer..
    you8 do this and 7 times out of 10 they will give you a new license ke
    over the phone and you dont pay for it. make sure they understand it
    the SAME computer but with a new motherboard with a different chipse
    than the previous one

    Eidelmaim, Mar 13, 2013