    My temp for CPU is 44 for the northbridge - is this normal?
    I have just recently upgraded my motherboard and I noticed my CPU
    northbridge temp is at 44 degrees - is this ok?

    daviddschool, May 13, 2008

  2. beweerde :
    44 degrees is no problem (guessing the temp is in Celcius).
    I have seen CPU's with temps above 50 Deg C and running fine.
    Speedfan gives m a temp reading of 52 Deg C (AMD Athlon X2 5000), and I
    have no problems

    André, PE1PQX, May 13, 2008

  3. daviddschool

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "André, PE1PQX" typed:
    I worked on a PC for a friend who'd bought it as a "gaming machine". It had
    a (vanilla) Asus M3A mobo and a Phenom 9500 in a well-vented Tt Soprano
    case. When running Prime95 25.5 the reported NB temp in that would get to
    ~76°C. (On a cold day! It has a tiny little 30 x 30mm 'NB' passive heatsink
    held with two proprietary wire loops.) I thought there must be a mistake so
    touched the little heatsink with my finger. It sure was hot! My finger had a
    red mark for hours.

    I Googled and found others who had the same issues and had been unable to
    resolve it as after-market coolers don't fit. One guy who modded one to fit
    had the wire loops pull out of the mobo. It seems that they're only designed
    to hold the ~15 grammes of the factory-fitted HS.

    I tried a small fan blowing onto the HS but it only dropped the temp by
    literally a couple degrees. I jury-rigged a duct and a bigger fan as a temp
    solution/experiment but it made no difference. It seems that, when the HS is
    that small, no amount of airflow is going to improve it's efficiency
    significantly.

    Incidently, with that rig, using a stock AMD heatsink and running Prime for
    hours the CPU cores temp never went over 52°C. However I *really* wasn't
    happy with that hot little NB sitting in the middle of the board causing
    localised thermal expansion.

    ~misfit~, May 14, 2008