Mystery Alarm on EP45-UD3L

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by (PeteCresswell), Jul 31, 2013.

  1. I get an audio tone from my EP45-UD3L during periods of heavy lifting -
    sometimes intermittent, sometimes steady.

    Right now, running an app called HandBrake which is transcoding DVD to
    ..MPEG4 disc-to-disc, the alarm is steady. CPU use is pretty much pegged
    in the very high nineties per Process Lasso.

    I kill HandBrake and the alarm stops immediately. No time for core
    temps to drop - although they did drop quickly from high sixties to high
    thirties within a few minutes.

    Fire HandBrake up again and CPU use immediately rises from low teens to
    very high nineties and the CPU temps begin to rise - but the alarm does
    not come on until about five minutes later when it starts intermittently
    and becomes steady within a minute. Core 0 at this point is running at
    69-70 C. The other 3 cores are in the low sixties.

    Seems logical that an audible alarm would be for things that threaten
    the mobo/CPU so I'm thinking "Temp".

    But that begs the question of why the alarm stops instantly when I shut
    down HandBrake - certainly before the CPUs have had to cool.

    ??
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jul 31, 2013

  2. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > I get an audio tone from my EP45-UD3L during periods of heavy lifting -
    > sometimes intermittent, sometimes steady.
    >
    > Right now, running an app called HandBrake which is transcoding DVD to
    > .MPEG4 disc-to-disc, the alarm is steady. CPU use is pretty much pegged
    > in the very high nineties per Process Lasso.
    >
    > I kill HandBrake and the alarm stops immediately. No time for core
    > temps to drop - although they did drop quickly from high sixties to high
    > thirties within a few minutes.
    >
    > Fire HandBrake up again and CPU use immediately rises from low teens to
    > very high nineties and the CPU temps begin to rise - but the alarm does
    > not come on until about five minutes later when it starts intermittently
    > and becomes steady within a minute. Core 0 at this point is running at
    > 69-70 C. The other 3 cores are in the low sixties.
    >
    > Seems logical that an audible alarm would be for things that threaten
    > the mobo/CPU so I'm thinking "Temp".
    >
    > But that begs the question of why the alarm stops instantly when I shut
    > down HandBrake - certainly before the CPUs have had to cool.
    >
    > ??

    Most GA UD3 MB's have a known problem called "coil whine".
    You can try turning off the cpu power stepping.
    My UD3R whines every now and then. My first UD3R was so
    bad that I took it back and got another.

    Paul in Houston TX, Jul 31, 2013

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    Paul in Houston TX wrote:
    > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >> I get an audio tone from my EP45-UD3L during periods of heavy lifting -
    >> sometimes intermittent, sometimes steady.
    >>
    >> Right now, running an app called HandBrake which is transcoding DVD to
    >> .MPEG4 disc-to-disc, the alarm is steady. CPU use is pretty much pegged
    >> in the very high nineties per Process Lasso.
    >>
    >> I kill HandBrake and the alarm stops immediately. No time for core
    >> temps to drop - although they did drop quickly from high sixties to high
    >> thirties within a few minutes.
    >>
    >> Fire HandBrake up again and CPU use immediately rises from low teens to
    >> very high nineties and the CPU temps begin to rise - but the alarm does
    >> not come on until about five minutes later when it starts intermittently
    >> and becomes steady within a minute. Core 0 at this point is running at
    >> 69-70 C. The other 3 cores are in the low sixties.
    >>
    >> Seems logical that an audible alarm would be for things that threaten
    >> the mobo/CPU so I'm thinking "Temp".
    >>
    >> But that begs the question of why the alarm stops instantly when I shut
    >> down HandBrake - certainly before the CPUs have had to cool.
    >>
    >> ??

    > Most GA UD3 MB's have a known problem called "coil whine".
    > You can try turning off the cpu power stepping.
    > My UD3R whines every now and then. My first UD3R was so
    > bad that I took it back and got another.

    And part and parcel, of that suggestion, is checking where
    the noise comes from. Is it coming out of the computer case
    speaker ? Out of the 5.1 sound system speakers ? Or does
    it appear to be a sound coming from inside the computer ?

    Knowing the source, would narrow down the possibilities.

    *******

    In the user manual, I see this BIOS setting in Hardware Monitor.

    "CPU Warning Temperature

    Sets the warning threshold for CPU temperature. When CPU temperature
    exceeds the threshold, BIOS will emit warning sound. Options are:

    Disabled (default), 60oC/140oF, 70oC/158oF, 80oC/176oF, 90oC/194oF."

    Since the processor is thermally protected (computer shuts off
    abruptly above THERMTRIP temp), you don't need that enabled and
    you can disable it for an experiment. Then monitor CPU temperature
    while your Handbrake run is taking place.

    (Example of a utility for monitoring temp, on the left...)

    http://www.skybuck.org/Winfast/TemperatureReadingsWith1GHZMode.png

    In previous generations of motherboards, a BIOS alarm of that
    type, would be a "European Police Siren" kind of sound. So the
    sound effect in that case, should be entirely unlike coil noise
    (which would be a single tone).

    You could also try CPU Smart Fan [Disabled], in the hope
    the fan would run flat out. Maybe the fan isn't running as fast
    as it could.

    *******

    If you're unsure the CPU fan is running as fast as it could, you'd
    need a special wire harness (Molex connector, two fan connectors),
    to effectively bypass whatever the motherboard is doing. I have at
    least one fan in my other computers, that bypasses the motherboard
    (so the fan doesn't burn out the copper traces in the
    motherboard - it's a one amp fan). Commercially, I've only had
    one CPU cooling kit, that came with that wiring harness, so they're
    not that common. Now, I just make them from parts, with a little
    soldering to fix things up.

    Molex ------- +12V ------------------------> three pin male
    ------- GND ------------------------> for CPU fan...
    ---X +---------< (RPM signal, out)
    ---X |
    | x--< three pin female
    | x--< connect to
    +---------> motherboard header

    What the cable does, is provide a constant +12V. Using two
    fan connectors (one male, one female), it makes the RPM signal
    available on the CPU fan connector on the motherboard. The BIOS
    sees an RPM signal, so it won't panic. You can use three wire
    cabling on the four wire CPU header and four wire Intel fan,
    by simply avoiding the PWM pin altogether (no connect to
    PWM pin). You offset the connector, so the PWM pin remains
    unused. On an Intel fan, it's pulled high on its own,
    indicating 100% speed is desired.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 31, 2013
  4. Per Paul:
    >In the user manual, I see this BIOS setting in Hardware Monitor.
    >
    > "CPU Warning Temperature
    >
    > Sets the warning threshold for CPU temperature. When CPU temperature
    > exceeds the threshold, BIOS will emit warning sound. Options are:
    >
    > Disabled (default), 60oC/140oF, 70oC/158oF, 80oC/176oF, 90oC/194oF."

    Bingo!.....I think...

    Found it set to 60/140, set it to Disabled.

    Fired up HandBrake an hour or so ago... it's been running ever since and
    no beeps. OTOH, I don't seem to be provoking as high core temps as
    last time.... but all four are 60+ and CPU is maxed out at 100% usage.

    So, my guess is that you nailed it.

    Thanks!
    --
    Pete Cresswell