Napster 2.0 Install

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jim Higgins, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. Jim Higgins

    Jim Higgins Guest

    Dell 8300, XP Home 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM

    I made the mistake of installing Napster 2. This software was a disaster
    from the start: It reconfigured my Roxio 6.0 and from there it was all
    downhill in a hurry. Roxio 6 ECD & DVD 6, with updates, no longer saw my
    DVD burner at all, my System Restore points were gone, my backup program
    (Backup MyPC) said that I had no DVD burner, and Napster 2 created a local
    drive, G: (as a partition on HDD 0), that was not there before. I have had
    to uninstall and reinstall Backup MyPC and Roxio 6 to get , more or less,
    back to where I was before but that local drive G:, that wasn't there before
    this disaster, is still there.

    This new local drive G: reads as a 39.1MB EISA Configuration FAT partition
    of HDD 0 NTFS and HDD 1 NTFS seems unaffected. Going to Control
    Panel|Computer Management|Disk Management does not give me the option of
    deleting that 39.1MB offending partitionpartition.

    Any suggestions?
    --
    Remove first letter left of dot to reply

    "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    decision."
    Benjamin Franklin

    Jim Higgins, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Jim Higgins

    Tom Almy Guest

    Please post if you have a resolution. Here's what happened to me:

    When the install finished with the reboot, WinXP announced I had "new
    hardware". What it did was assign drive letters using the default
    assignment order to *all* my partitions:

    1. The hidden Dell diagnostic partition became visible as drive H:
    (That's the 39.1MB partition you are now seeing!)
    2. My 3 linux partitions got drive letters but couldn't be accessed, of
    course. Assigning the drive letters ruined the partitions totally
    killing Linux.
    3. The drive assignments overran my networked drive assignments.

    Even after blowing away Napster, checking for viruses (none) and spyware
    (none), deleting the ruined Linux install, The Disk Manager doesn't see
    any drive letters assigned to any partitions, and if I add a drive
    letter to a partition it replaces the old. Partition Magic sees the
    partitions correctly. I had to use it to rehide the hidden partition.

    I did both a Goggle search and a search on the Microsoft Knowledge Base
    for the problem and came up empty. My son, who is an IT professional,
    never heard of this happening. I've sent in a letter of complaint to
    Napster. Glad to hear I'm not the only one -- I'd suggest that you write
    and complain as well.

    For the record, I'm running XP pro. I don't have Roxio installed
    (although that was part of the Napster install I feel wrecked
    everything) but use Nero Burning. The install didn't destroy any data
    (except in the Linux partitions) nor has it caused any software to
    malfunction.

    Tom Almy, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Jim Higgins

    nmore Guest

    Sorry about your problems. Sounds like Napster wasn't the only thing Roxio
    resurrected (remember GoBack 1.0?). Not very comforting that the company
    that makes the burner software our firm relies on for backup still has
    problems getting things to work right. Wonder if these guys send any of
    their work offshore...

    nmore, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Jim Higgins

    Alex Molina Guest

    Gateway 700x, XP Home 2.0 GHz, 512 RAM

    I ran into the same DVD burner (Sony DRU-500A) problems after
    installing Napster 2. Regardless of what software program I used, I
    could not use my DVD drive to burn. Reading data from the drive was
    OK. Luckily, I was able to use System Restore to resolve my problem.
    I've abandoned Napster and am now using iTunes. iTunes has been solid
    thus far.

    As far as additional local drives appearing, I don't believe this was
    an issue with my Gateway system, but I'm not positive.

    Alex Molina, Nov 1, 2003
  5. Jim Higgins

    Tom Almy Guest

    I don't believe Gateway has a hidden diagnostic partition on the drive.
    It's only an issue if you have hidden partitions, such as a Linux
    install, or you have multiple partitions and have changed their drive
    letter assignments from the default.

    Tom Almy, Nov 1, 2003
  6. I don't have a dell but I can relate. My install of Napster 2.0 causes
    my Norton 2004 to "un-activate" and renders it useless. I've tested
    the theory twice and it is true.

    This has been a nightmare. I've reported both problems to Norton and
    Napster with very little response. Let me know if anyone finds a way
    around this.

    And what is this mystery hardware item that Napster installs?

    Brian Wolters, Nov 1, 2003
  7. Jim Higgins

    Joan Guest

    Tom my Dell has they hidden utility drive. Will they effect an install
    for me. If so, can you show the hidden drive. I have PM 8 and I can
    see the Dell drive with this program. I also have Roxio's Creator
    Platium 5.0.

    Joan

    Joan, Nov 1, 2003
  8. Jim Higgins

    Tom Almy Guest

    Your hidden drive can be unhidden and rehidden using Partition Magic.
    I'd STRONGLY recommend not installing Napster under any circumstances.
    Their reponse to my complaint about their software putting drive letters
    on all partitions (including in my case destroying the Linux install)
    and asking them to fix the problem was:

    "We would like to help you with your request, but unfortunately we have
    determined that your help request falls outside of our typical
    commitment to Customer Support pertaining to the Napster service."

    Companies with that attitude don't deserve anyone's business. I suggest
    going with MusicMatch and/or iTunes which don't seem to have any
    problems. Roxio's poor customer support (Roxio owns Napster) I've
    experienced before and caused me to drop their burner software for Nero.

    Tom Almy, Nov 1, 2003
  9. Jim Higgins

    Brian Guest

    I just got a response back from Napster when reporting that it disables and
    "un-activates" my Norton Internet Security 2004:

    "Please make sure you do not have any firewall software running including
    Windows XP internal firewall. Napster can't access the server when a
    firewall is running."

    That is a bunch of junk! Sounds like they don't want to resolve my problem.

    Brian, Nov 1, 2003
  10. Jim Higgins

    Joan Guest

    Tom, thanks for your advise. iTunes isn't that a Mac program and can
    windowsXP use that program? Where do I get the program from?

    Joan

    Joan, Nov 1, 2003
  11. iTunes now has a windows client available for free download off the apple
    web site.

    alien hoobajoob, Nov 1, 2003
  12. Jim Higgins

    Tom Almy Guest

    It is a Mac program, but it's now available for PCs as well. Download
    from apple.com. (I haven't purchased from them yet, but at least the
    program doesn't trash my system!)

    Tom Almy, Nov 2, 2003
  13. Jim Higgins

    Brian Guest

    Does iTunes have the same $9.99 plan as Napster?

    Brian, Nov 2, 2003
  14. Jim Higgins

    Joan Guest

    Thanks Alien, I check it out.

    Joan

    Joan, Nov 2, 2003
  15. $.99 per song.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Nov 2, 2003
  16. Jim Higgins

    JoeyNYC Guest

    Well, I don't have a Dell or a Gateway - and actually a self-built P4
    2.8Ghz with Asus P4PE motherboard and Napster created havoc on my
    system as well. I found this thread through a Google search and I
    wish I had known about the problems before installing this crap. I
    don't mean to be angry, but this wonderful piece of software had
    rearranged all my drive letters and to top it off, it duplicated a
    drive partition. That is, my drive D: partition on my second HD was
    duplicated to a new drive G: (with the same volumn label as well) -
    and I can't for the life of me find a way to eliminate that drive G:
    Not in Computer Management, not anywhere. Even more odd, changes I
    make to drive D: are not reflected on drive G: (deleted files on D:
    are still there and accessible on G:) It disabled my DirectCD and
    deactivated both my Norton Personal Firewall 2004 and Norton AntiVirus
    2004. Further, when I reboot XP Pro, it goes through an integrity
    check (which turns out ok) on both D: and G:. Something is screwed up
    now and I can't find any answers.

    Thanks to Napster, I'm getting rid of every single piece of Roxio
    software from my computer.

    JoeyNYC

    JoeyNYC, Nov 2, 2003
  17. Jim Higgins

    Tom Almy Guest

    Please write to Napster. And while you are at it, write to any place you
    see review this POS and tell them what happened. I haven't been able
    to figure out if the damage is to the drive partition table or to
    the Windows OS itself. I was able to recover using Partion Magic,
    however the Windows Disk Manager still is messed up. You might try a
    Windows "repair" install, or try moving the partitions to a clean drive
    (one of these two should fix the problem).

    Tom Almy, Nov 2, 2003
  18. Jim Higgins

    Joan Guest

    Thanks Tom and Alien,

    I downloaded it and have purchased 5 Spike Jones songs. They are my
    favorites and saves me time from recording them from my LP's. Now you
    know how old I am. :-( Oh, iTunes also burns the CD. After I downloaded
    the files, nothing would play the files but iTunes, Roxio didn't
    recognize the files, but iTunes quickly burned the files to an Audio CD
    to play on PC's or regular players. I have the _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
    drive and was afraid it might not recognize it, but it did and burned it
    fast and perfectly. Now I can change them into MP3's if I want too.

    For several years now I've been thinking about a MAC. This nice great
    little free program is just pushing me closer to try a MAC.

    Joan

    Joan, Nov 2, 2003
  19. Jim Higgins

    Brian Guest

    Joey...I reported my issue to both Napster and Norton and neither have
    provided any help. Napster tells me not to run a firewall and Norton
    basically says to uninstall Napster.

    Brian, Nov 2, 2003
  20. From the Apple site:
    "QuickTime 6.4 software is required to import your music into the AAC format
    and to use music downloaded from the iTunes Music Store in other
    applications."

    Files in AAC format? So I have to play my songs with iTunes or QuickTime OR
    use iTunes to burn a CD and then rip them to MP3. Thanks but no thanks.
    When is Steve Jobs going to realize that the world doesn't revolve around
    him. He's worse then Bill Gates.

    I'll wait for a service that allows me to download standard MP3 files that I
    can use across all my devices and burn with any burner software.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Nov 2, 2003