    Without burning/ripping ability, I wouldn't do it because I've got 4
    home systems, a system at work, and an MP3 playing car and wouldn't buy
    anything I couldn't use at all my locations like I can with physical media.

    Tom Almy, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Jim Higgins

    Bob Rekieta Guest

    Bob Rekieta, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Jim Higgins

    Tom Almy Guest

    Songs purchased from buymusic.com are in WMA format. There are no
    services now (or probably ever) that will download in MP3 format,
    however all downloads from iTunes and MusicMatch can be converted to
    MP3s by burning to a CD. (Some downloads from buymusic.com may not be
    able to burn to a CD). I also forgot about Rhapsody, but you have to
    pay to access it.

    Tom Almy, Nov 2, 2003

  4. I am running ZoneAlarm Pro and Norton 2003 with Napster 2.0.6.1 without
    any problems. Nero OEM seems to work fine also. You might want to give
    ZoneAlarm a try.

    Robin

    Robin Brumfield, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Jim Higgins

    JoeyNYC Guest

    Oh, you bet I'm going to write to Napster. I wish there was a phone
    number. I can't believe this crapware was allowed to be released when
    there seems to be some obvious critical problems. I had to
    re-partition the drive in order to get rid of the partition clone that
    Napster created. I then repaired the Windows installation and here it
    is, 1:56am, and only now is my system coming back to "normal".
    Because of this POS, I was unable to work on my computer at all on
    Sunday and I will now miss a deadline.

    I am so furious beyond belief over this - and to hear comments from
    their Customer Service Dept. that this is beyond what they handle and
    to not use a firewall - it just makes me want to reach through that
    phone and ring the neck of the rep.

    Grrrr!!!

    JoeyNYC

    JoeyNYC, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Jim Higgins

    JoeyNYC Guest

    I read what Napster told you and it just shows how I will never
    install any crap from Roxio ever again with support like that -
    especially for software apparently not thoroughly tested. Norton has
    good advice, but that's the problem - uninstalling Napster doesn't
    undo all the crap it screwed up in your system. I couldn't even go
    back to a restore point!

    JoeyNYC

    JoeyNYC, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Jim Higgins

    Brian Guest

    I may do a fresh copy of Windows because it just isn't running the same
    after Napster 2.0

    Brian, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Jim Higgins

    Brian Guest

    It is only Norton 2004 it is causing problems with. Since it requires
    "activation", Napster is somehow causing to deactivate.

    Brian, Nov 3, 2003
  9. Jim Higgins

    Brian Guest

    I wonder if doing a clean insall of Windows, then Napster and then Norton
    Internet Security would solve the issue? Honestly, I am tired of messing
    with it.

    Brian, Nov 3, 2003
  10. Jim Higgins

    JoeyNYC Guest

    Brian,
    That is sort of what I basically ended up doing. In the "repair" of
    Windows, it just practically reinstalled Windows and I had to d/l all
    those patches again, etc. But granted, it wasn't clean but it seems
    to be working fine now. I just need to copy everything around since I
    had to move all my files when I repartitioned one of my drives. I
    just got fed up and hopefully I'll be back to normal by tonight.

    JoeyNYC

    JoeyNYC, Nov 3, 2003
  11. Jim Higgins

    Jim Higgins Guest

    Benjamin Franklin
    I too am thinking about doing a clean re-install of XP Home and if
    downloading the patches again is a problem you could try the MS Update
    Rollup 1 for XP at the URL below.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-D7BE-48E3-ABCC-961602BD72C2&displaylang=en

    I only received a form email from Napster saying "Your comments and feedback
    are important to us. Please keep in mind that we are continually working to
    expand the Napster experience. Your feedback will be forwarded to the proper
    department. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have."
    They sure did expand the Napster experience for me. I am still trying to
    recover.

    --
    Remove first letter left of dot to reply

    "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    decision."

    Jim Higgins, Nov 3, 2003
  12. Jim Higgins

    Brian Guest

    Well, I am going to have to do that soon. My Firewall is just a mess now..I
    can't even read newsgroups anymore at home without disabling my firewall.

    Brian, Nov 3, 2003
  13. Jim Higgins

    Guest Guest

    www.emusic.com

    Tom> however all downloads from iTunes and MusicMatch can be converted to
    Tom> MP3s by burning to a CD. (Some downloads from buymusic.com may not be
    Tom> able to burn to a CD). I also forgot about Rhapsody, but you have to
    Tom> pay to access it.

    news> bo34o0$k4n$...

    Guest, Nov 3, 2003
  14. Jim Higgins

    Tom Almy Guest

    Wow! They need more publicity. Of course the limitation is they don't
    have any of the major labels.

    Tom Almy, Nov 4, 2003
  15. And as of November the 8th, the downloads are limited to a specified
    quantity.

    Robin Brumfield, Nov 4, 2003
  16. Thanks for the heads up.

    Robin

    Robin Brumfield, Nov 4, 2003
  17. Jim Higgins

    Brian Guest

    Here is another response to Napster, when I told them a "mystery" hardware
    item was installed after initial reboot:

    "Napster doesn't install any hardware device to your computer. It might
    have been just a coincidence."

    This is insane.

    Brian, Nov 4, 2003
  18. Jim Higgins

    Guest Guest

    Tom Almy writes:

    Tom> Wow! They need more publicity. Of course the limitation is they don't
    Tom> have any of the major labels.

    Yes, it is best for jazz, blues and other "older"
    fans.

    My teenager does not find much she wants there.
    But I got loads of stuff I love.

    Guest, Nov 10, 2003
  19. Jim Higgins

    Glenn Guest

    Brian...what version of Napster did you install when you discovered
    that it deactivated Norton? I may have seen something like this
    earlier. Did Norton become deactivated immediately after installing
    Napster or after rebooting your computer? I have Norton Internet
    Security 2004 on my system and recently installed Napster 2.0.7.3
    without any problems.

    Glenn, Dec 4, 2003