National Semiconductor HPC16083/HPC46003 High Performance microController Family - Info Needed

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by David Brown, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. David Brown

    David Brown Guest

    The HPC was a fine micro in its day - I believe it was one of the
    fastest microcontrollers available at the time (15 years ago?). It's a
    16-bit accumulator-based CISC cpu, with a reasonable range of addressing
    modes. We used to have an emulator for it, but it's unfortunately
    broken. It was an impressive system - a main board around 50cm by 50cm,
    with a "daughter" board at about 30cm by 50cm. The assembler was, as
    far as I can remember, free (or at least very low cost), while the C
    compiler from National Semiconductor cost extra. It's been about 10
    years since I've written a new program on the HPC, but the last
    modification I made to a HPC program was a couple of months ago.

    Talk to your National Semiconductor representatives about tools and
    documentation. If they can't give you the tools, but can authorize a
    free copy, then I can send you a zip of the assembler and linker (and C
    compiler, if they authorize that too). That might be easier to deal
    with than the originals, which I believe came on 5 1/4" floppies. The
    documentation would be harder - I think I only have it in dead tree format.

    As long as you don't have to debug anything (which you might avoid, if
    you are only modifying a working system), then the HPC is fine to work
    with in assembler, or even its (slightly limited and very old fashioned)
    C compiler. It's certainly much more programmer friendly than many
    8-bit micros.

    Good luck!

    David

    (If you want to contact me directly, I'm sure you can figure out my
    email address.)

    David Brown, Nov 25, 2005

  2. David Brown

    WYSIWYG Guest

    Hello,

    I inherited an embedded computer using the National HPC 46003 processor. I
    am obliged to correct some programming problems in the code but I have
    little information and no tools. I have only found some high level spec
    sheets and app. notes. I'll probably need to hand assemble the changes but I
    need sufficient info to build the object code. Does anyone have the User's
    Manual, assemblers, etc for this processor that can help?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    WYSIWYG, Nov 25, 2005

  3. I agree with David, a fine micro - every micro that National does
    seems to dissapear :-(
    Still have the tools and documentation - Even have some spare micros
    somewhere Im sure..

    Vic

    In Memory of tecNovia, Dec 2, 2005
  4. David Brown

    h_sam

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    Hi dear David
    I can't find any assembler or compiler for HPC series controller.

    please help me!

    Sam.

    h_sam, Sep 9, 2015