NEC 3500 A or Plextor PX716A DVD burner

Discussion in 'Asus' started by consumer, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. consumer

    consumer Guest

    Which of these two drives are recommended?
    NEC 3500 A
    Plextor PX 716 DVD burner

    I have problems with Plextor CD-RW burners. Two are gone already,
    same model Plextor 40/12/40A PX W4012TA, second one is a replacement
    from warrenty, but also gone.

    How reliable are these burners?
    Do they record as the maximum advertised speed provided compatible
    CD-R (RW)s
    are used?

    Does NEC have burn proof technology?

    Both drives work with Windwos 98 First edition???

    Any other recommendations on other drives?

    Appreciate any inputs!

    consumer, Jan 18, 2005

  2. NEC3520
    (I don't think you can even get a 3500A)

    It is a rather quiet drive. Very popular and one of the cheapest.
    Further there are a lot of modified firmwares for it. Look here:
    http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/
    sure, even the 2500A I use have it. This 2500A has been converted to a
    2510 with double layer and bitsetting, by pirate firmware from Herrie.
    Ups, why not.
    If you can get a burner software that can win98. It's from the
    stoneage.
    You know: a dvd-drive requires no drivers, if you don't boot on dos.
    Then the windows 98 startup floppy has a standard driver that can be
    used for CD-mode (not DVD I suppose).
    There should be a burner (pioneer or plextor) that supports double
    layer on minus dvd-discs that will come on the market soon. Else all
    use double layer discs of plus-standard.

    Some says that Nec 3520 support these new discs, but I am not so sure.
    It will probably come in future firmwares even from NEC. They normally
    throw a drive on the market fast and improve firmware accordingly.

    best regards

    John

    JK (at mail dot dk), Jan 18, 2005