    that money back. i've bought dvd burners on ebay for $20.
    the burner is NOT the fastest in town, it only has a 2mb buffer, but may
    be adequate for your needs.

    Jay B, Jun 6, 2006

  3. three separate mail in rebates required to be completed in a timely manner.
    if you are not up to the task of submitting rebates then it isn't no great
    value at $99 plus shipping. if you are competent enough to complete the
    rebate forms correctly then it is a great deal.

    Christopher Muto, Jun 6, 2006
  4. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    What is the hot recommendation these days for a combo DVD/CD burner for
    a Dimension 4600?

    powrwrap, Jun 6, 2006
  5. powrwrap

    NicKnayme Guest

    I have a 4550 with a NEC 3550A (paid $36-free ship-NewEgg)
    I was using a Lite-On 4X I bought at Wal-Mart over 2 yrs ago.
    Nic

    NicKnayme, Jun 7, 2006
  6. powrwrap

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'd recommend the Pioneer DVR-111D.

    www.newegg.com

    -or-

    www.zipzoomfly.com

    S.Lewis, Jun 7, 2006
  7. powrwrap

    Jay B Guest

    any 16mb buffer dvd dual-layer dvd burner, especially the plextor is
    hot! will also burn cd's of course.

    Jay B, Jun 7, 2006
  8. powrwrap

    Mike S. Guest

    TigerDirect, that's the catch.

    Just read an angry thread on one of the digicam newsgroups describing a
    rebate situation in which the fulfillment house was affiliated with
    TigerDirect; i.e. they were in on the scam and had no intention of paying.

    Add that to the baseline scuttlebut on this company:

    http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/nis/newsearch2.asp?ID=1&strBCode=06330000&Co
    mID=0633000027000500&ComName=TigerDirect%2Ecom

    Mike S., Jun 7, 2006
  9. good point... easier link... http://tinyurl.com/cmta9
    when the better business bureau dosen't like a company it has got to be
    really bad.

    Christopher Muto, Jun 7, 2006
  10. powrwrap

    Jay B Guest

    wow, that was pretty shocking to read the bad report.
    they've been around forever.
    i've used them about a dozen times over the last 5 years and never had a
    problem. only had a few rebates from them, and took months to get, but
    got every penny, never got screwed or mislead by them. and would
    certainly buy from again.

    the key to this and any vendor is to read the fine print and make sure
    you buy things that make sense. i certainly wouldnt buy a computer from
    them, or other certain things, but a stock item with a main brand and
    good rating should not be a problem.

    Jay B, Jun 7, 2006
  11. powrwrap

    S.Lewis Guest

    I knew that TD was bad. Haven't used them in several years. Wasn't aware it
    was to that degree though.

    I seldom have to venture outside of either NE or ZZF, and both are extremely
    credible.

    S.Lewis, Jun 7, 2006
  12. powrwrap

    Ben Myers Guest

    I've only been on the trailing edge of Tiger Direct, having to pick up the
    pieces of several failed systems bought from them. For a while, TD sold their
    own brand of white box computer made from the cheapest parts imaginable, hence
    the high failure rate. If I were to consider buying anything from TD, it would
    be only a name brand item... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 7, 2006
  13. I bought a new Sony DRU-810A burner 2 weeks ago after poking around the
    'Net, especially PCWorld. I've burned a couple of dozen DVDs with it and
    am happy with it so far. Paid $70 from mWave.com.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 8, 2006
  14. I wasn't going to say anything; but, since it's come up, I wouldn't do
    business with TigerDirect either.

    YMMV of course

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 8, 2006
  15. powrwrap

    pheeh.zero Guest

    Sony drive is actually Philips-BenQ and some of theirs are Lite-On
    drives.
    "Sony...in name only!"

    pheeh.zero, Jun 9, 2006
  16. powrwrap

    george Guest

    That was also my experience with TigerDirect...11 months to get a rebate
    cc'ing my state attorney general on everything from day one AND the product
    was defective (DOA) too...didn't know that and had to cut the bar code out
    within 24 hours for the rebate (before I installed the motherboard). That's
    two companies I won't deal with again.

    george, Jun 9, 2006
  17. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    Thanks to everybody for their input. I'll stay away from TigerDirect
    like I avoid AIDS infected dirty needles.

    powrwrap, Jun 9, 2006
  18. powrwrap

    powrwrap, Jun 9, 2006
  19. powrwrap

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, I try to limit my dirty needles to only those without AIDS.

    For $10, what's the risk?

    Tom Scales, Jun 9, 2006
  20. Not 10 bucks but a 100 bucks and than they get the 90 bucks back.

    Here is the rebate info

    Click here to download rebate information for:
    $20 (USD) Mail In Rebate on the NEC ND3550A Dual Layer DVD Burner with
    Software (Black, Retail Boxed) - N27-1888
    Valid 5/19/2006 - 6/15/2006.
    This rebate MUST be postmarked within 30 days of purchase.
    This rebate is in US Dollars.

    Click here to download rebate information for:
    $40 (USD) Mail In Rebate on eTrust Internet Security Suite 2006 with
    Purchase of N27-1888 ISS (N27-1888 & C655-5215)
    Valid 5/22/2006 - 6/15/2006.
    This rebate MUST be postmarked within 30 days of purchase.
    This rebate is in US Dollars.

    Click here to download rebate information for:
    $30 (USD) Mail In Rebate on eTrust Internet Security Suite 2006 -
    C655-5215
    Valid 6/1/2006 - 6/30/2006.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2224066&Tab=5&NoMapp=0

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jun 9, 2006