NEC 4550A DVD burner in Coolmax enclosure can't run on Inspiron 5150

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by only4ng, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. only4ng

    only4ng Guest

    All hardware mentioned and system info are detailed at the end of this
    post.

    I have Coolmax 5.25" USB/Firewire enclosure which I have so far used
    only for 2.5 hard drives on my Inspiron 5150. Everything worked
    beautifully till days ago I put in my new internal NEC ND-4550A DVD
    burner.

    The DVD burner inside the enclosure will show as "Removable Disk" under
    My Computer. With DVD-RW media loaded when I click on "Removable Disk"
    icon, it will ask, ""The disk in drive G is not formatted. Do you want
    to format it now?" When I choose OK, the next message will tell me,
    "The disk can not be formatted.". Also with the above setup, the DVD
    burner cant be recognized by neither Nero or Alcohol 120%. In short,
    the NEC DVD burner just does not run on Inspiron 5150.

    I am using Phoenix BIOS A01 that comes with my Inspiron 5150. I am
    using the Coolmax enclosure via Fireware interface.

    I talked with Inspiron users at Dell forum. The problem does not seem
    to an old BIOS problem. I have read the BIOS releases notes for
    Inspiron 5150, but so far the notes did not specifically indicate that
    higher versions of BIOS would have better support for external
    peripherals such as DVD burner.

    Can anyone kindly advise what might be causing the problem? What should
    I start investigation with?

    Thanks for advising.

    ====Hardware mentioned in this post====
    - Coolmax Enclosure (CD-510B-U2F) USB/FIREWIRE 3.5"/5.25" IDE TO USB
    http://coolmaxusa.com/productDetails.as...atures&subcategory=combo&category=5.25

    - NEC ND-4550A DVD Burner
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/230

    ====System Info====
    - Dell Inspiron 5150
    - BIOS: Phoenix A01
    - 1GB RAM
    - Windows XP Pro SP2
    - Coolmax Enclosure USB/FIREWIRE 3.5"/5.25"

    only4ng, Oct 28, 2005

  2. only4ng

    Chris Hill Guest

    How is the drive jumpered? I'd jumper it to master and see what
    happens.

    Chris Hill, Oct 28, 2005

  3. only4ng

    Quaoar Guest

    Is a driver loaded for the burner? The fact that it is seen as a
    removeable drive indicates that the a suitable driver has not been
    loaded. It should install as a DVD drive although it might not be
    installed specifically as an NEC 4550A. For example, XP SP2 installs my
    external NEC3550A as "PI-109 1394/USB20 Drive IEEE SBP2 Device" in
    DVD/CD-ROM Devices.

    You must run this with the external power adapter. Even if there is a
    full size six conductor Firewire port on the laptop, there is no
    guarantee that it is powered or has enough power for the burner.

    As an external device not connected to the PCI bus, no jumpers are
    required.

    Quaoar, Oct 28, 2005
  4. only4ng

    7palmtree Guest

    @Q:

    Aha, the driver - may be the likely cause of the problem.
    But I don't quite get how the driver was installed in your scenario.
    NEC ND4550A I have is the bulk with no driver software. When I put the
    burner in enclosure,Windows XP SP2 didn't tell me like it usually does
    "New Hardware was install...", but Windows did show the burner as
    Removable Drive under My Computer.

    Can you kindly clarify how to get the driver installed?

    7palmtree, Oct 28, 2005
  5. only4ng

    Quaoar Guest

    Ahem, mumble, mumble.... I do recall getting a driver disk with the
    enclosure but none with the 3550a, but *if* I remember correctly, XP
    SP1, at the time, loaded the driver I referenced when I first connected
    the enclosure with drive in it via USB. I then used the iLink (4
    conductor, unpowered Firewire) connection without any difficulty.

    What might be going on is that XP 'sees' the enclosure first and you
    already had a removable hard drive associated with it. You might
    reconnect the enclosure with DVD drive and uninstall all of the
    references to it as a removable drive in Device Manager, shut down,
    disconnect the drive, reboot, and then see if XP finds the enclosure
    with the correct driver. [I think my recollection is correct since I've
    used the external drive on I think four XP computers without any
    difficulty in burning single-layer DVDs.]

    Quaoar, Oct 29, 2005