NEC DVD Disk Drive Not Recognizing Inserted Disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TrickTrash, Dec 11, 2006.

  1. TrickTrash

    TrickTrash Guest

    I have had an NEC 4550 DVD writer for 6 months or so that's never given me
    any problems until recently.

    It won't recognize some of the disks I insert and I can't pin down what's
    causing it. I get a monthly magazine which has a dual sided DVD Cover Disk
    and on the A side -which is mostly applications- it won't read any data on
    the disk, but I can open the volume in Explorer, which -strangely- it shows
    as an empty folder. On the B side -which is mostly game demos- it will
    recognize the disk and autorun. I can't see enough of a difference between
    the 2 sides to see what might be causing it. The interface is presented as
    a Macromedia Projector Exe

    At first I thought it was a problem with the production of the disk but now
    I've come to suspect that it's something between the OS and the Disk itself,
    some driver or program or something. I'm able to watch, rip and burn all
    kinds of DVD's & CD's without any problems, but nothing I can think of to
    try or application to use to access any of the data on the A side of the
    recent Cover Disk's works. It also seems to be somewhat choosy, in that it
    sometimes does recognize a disk, although never one it has previously failed
    to recognize.

    Anyone have any ideas ?

    TrickTrash, Dec 11, 2006