NEC PCMCIA USB adapter does not recognise all devices

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by losttoy2000, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. losttoy2000

    losttoy2000 Guest

    Hi,

    I got a NEC PCMCIA USB 4-port adapter. The card is unbranded but the
    drivers shipped with it on the CD are written by some OrangeWare corp.
    Under Linux, "lspci" shows:
    NEC USB Controller Rev 43

    The CD has the drivers under the folder, "uPD720100", so I am assuming
    thats the chipset.

    Here's the strange part. I tested the card with two laptops, Dell
    Inspiron 3800 and Dell Latitude C600. The devices I tested were:
    - BenQ 64MB drive - USB 1.1
    - Adcom Ethernet to USB adapter - 2.0
    - Sony 256MB Memory stick - 2.0
    - Scientific Atlanta cable modem - 1.1
    - D-Link 560M USB modem - 1.1

    Only one device works - the Adcom Ethernet to USB adapter. I checked
    all devices under three OSs - Linux (2.4.26 and 2.4.20), Windows XP Pro
    SP2 (fully patched) and Windows 2000 Pro SP4 (fully patched).

    If I do a tail of the log messages on Linux:
    - the D-Link USB modem is improperly allocated resources and fails to
    come up. - the cable modem is recognised but packets are only able to
    leave the interface not come back. So TX works but no RX. Very weird.
    - No *reaction* is evoked when I plugin the two mass storage devices.
    The LED on the Sony lights up when plugged in but the LED on the BenQ
    does not light up!!

    All these devices work fine when I plug them into the in-built USB 1.1
    port on both the laptops.

    Am I looking at buggy drivers, buggy chip or a faulty chip?
    Thanks,

    Siddhartha

    losttoy2000, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Is there a DC power-in connector on the card ? If there is, try giving
    the card 5V DC (up to 1A or so) - and see if things things change ...

    Martin Slaney, Nov 11, 2004

  3. losttoy2000

    losttoy2000 Guest

    Yes, the card does have a power-in connector. And someone else also
    pointed out using the built-in USB port or the PS/2 port to power the
    USB PCMCIA card. Apparently, the PCMCIA slots only have 3.3V power
    whereas the USB devices require 5V.

    I have the USB to power-in cable but thats kind of stupid to use
    because I bought the USB PCMCIA card after the built-in port's plastic
    thingy broke making it very fragile. I'll probably use PS/2 power cable
    or an external power supply.

    Thanks,

    Siddhartha

    losttoy2000, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Almost certainly the card requires an external +5 volt input to properly
    be used with all USB devices.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 11, 2004