Need advice on memory and cpu upgrade for A7N8X Deluxe

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Don Burnette, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    I currently have 1 gb of pc2700 Crucial ram, and an Athlon XP2400+ in my
    A7N8X Deluxe version 1.6 mb, running bios 1004.

    I have the itch to do a little upgrading, and would like some advice.
    I am looking at the XP3000+ Barton processor ( too much price diff with the
    3200+), and would like to go with a matched set of Corsair XMS series ram,
    preferrably pc3200 or higher.

    Now , my questions.

    1: With this mb, should I go with the 333 mhz Barton or the 400 mhz Barton?
    Would I achieve the same by simply getting the 333 mhz chip and lowering the
    mulitplier and upping the fsb to 400?

    2: Will my Thermalrite SLK800 heatsink with Delta80mm fan be sufficient for
    the 3000+ Barton? It cools very well for my 2400+

    3: At Newegg.com, which is where I order all my hardware from, they list
    several different matched sets of Corsair XMS series memory. Which set
    should I get for this board for best performance?

    Would appreciate any tips on the above.

    Don Burnette, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Don Burnette

    koop Guest

    I would recommend going with a different memory vendor than Corsair. I have
    been going round and round with them for almost two months over a
    replacement for my bad v1.1 TWINX512-3200LL set (they tried sending me back
    an inferior v1.2 set). Apparently they have run out of Winbond "B" chips
    used in the 3200LL v1.1 modules and are now using Winbond version C's in the
    new v1.2 2-3-2-6 modules. The new 3200LL's WILL NOT run at 2-2-2-6-200MHz
    as advertized. I have been through four sets of modules and three RMA's
    since the end of May trying to get a pair of modules that will pass Memtest
    at 200MHz, and it has been my experience with the three sets of v1.2 modules
    I have had there is almost no overclocking headroom.

    --
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=905761
    XP 2500+ @ 11.5*200

    koop, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Don Burnette

    jibby Guest

    Thermalrite SLK800 heatsink with Delta80mm fan is ok but ram is to lower a
    spec!!!

    jibby, Jul 21, 2003