1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Need advice viewing internet movies

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by sherwin dubren, Dec 25, 2009.

  1. I am looking for the best way to connect my nvidia geforce 8500gt card
    to a non-HDTV set in another room to transfer internet movies.

    I believe my card has streaming ability and the internet is running off
    of Comcast cable under Windows 7 32 bit. I also have the PC going to a
    hard wired router.

    Can I simply run a cable from the graphics card to the other room and
    plug it into the TV?

    The TV is a Panasonic CT27D11 with either a S-video, component plugs, or
    standard video input plugs. The graphics card has TV-out and HDTV out,
    or it has DVI, S-video, and VGA plugs (not sure input or output). The
    S-video plug on the graphics card has some peculiar 7 pin plug which I
    hear needs an adaptor for standard cables.

    If I don't hard wire this hookup, I'm not sure if it can be done through
    Comcast and/or their DVR. I'm new to this technology, so please forgive
    my possible confusion on what may be a simple hookup.

    sherwin dubren, Dec 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. sherwin dubren

    Cronos Guest

    Where do you get streaming internet movies? You mean like the ones at
    youtube? You need to determine what your video card uses for HDTV out.
    If it can use component then use that and you should have got an adapter
    with the card for that purpose. You need to look up how many feet the
    cable can be before degrading too. You need to do somewthing about audio
    too and don't know what your options are. If you had an ATI 4xxx or 5xxx
    series video card you can send both video and audio over HDMI but a long
    enough HDMI cable is very expensive and they can't go over too many ft. too.
    Cronos, Dec 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  3. sherwin dubren

    Andy Guest

    Buy a PS3 and stream anything from your PC via the router.

    Merry Christmas

    Andy, Dec 25, 2009
  4. sherwin dubren

    Paul Guest

    Did your 8500GT include a mini-DIN to component YPbPr cable, as
    shown in this picture ? That might solve the problem of
    connecting the computer analog video output to a TV set.
    You also need to run an audio signal to the TV set as well.


    There is a manual for the TV set here.


    You would be playing the movie on the computer, and the TV
    set would function as your second display. You would start
    the movie playing on the computer, then run into the other
    room to view it.

    This article hints at many different options for mini-DIN
    connectors, which is why it is reassuring if a bundled
    adapter cable is present in the video card box. You'd start
    by counting pins on the connector, as the first step
    in figuring out possible output options. Having the
    right cable in the video card box, eliminates that step.
    (It is actually a consideration when buying a video card.
    Get the adapters with the card, if at all possible. It is
    cheaper that way, much cheaper.)


    Video cards can put out composite (one RCA connector),
    S-Video (four pin mini-DIN) or component YPbPr (three RCA connectors),
    to name just a few. The faceplate of the card has some pin count
    mini-DIN on it (7 or 9 pin ?), and then you plug in various adapters to
    get at the signals in a useful way.

    Paul, Dec 25, 2009
  5. sherwin dubren

    Mary Hanna Guest

    Use a AV sender the Cable Run will be to long..
    Mary Hanna, Dec 25, 2009
  6. sherwin dubren

    Mary Hanna Guest

    The Only thing he can use us a AV Sender, the Cable run is far to long..
    Mary Hanna, Dec 25, 2009
  7. sherwin dubren

    Paul Guest

    The TV set only accepts 480i. It is a CRT based TV set. The
    bandwidth required of the cable will be low. You can buy
    cables with 2dB attenuation in a 100 foot length, measured
    at 135MHz. 480i will require nothing even close to that.

    6.75MHz bandwidth for Luma [y] - 480i

    100Ft cable at 7MHz has 0.63dB attenuation. You could probably
    run several times that length without noticing.


    Paul, Dec 26, 2009
  8. sherwin dubren

    Mary Hanna Guest

    Being a TV tech, its not that Simple and has nothing at all to do with cable
    lose, its due to cable delay, the Chrominance and Luminance get delayed, but
    one gets delayed more that the other due to the bandwidth of the Luminance
    being much higher about 2-3 times from memory

    I did some test from my Video card to the other side of the room, about 7cm,
    the picture looked terrible, outlines on images due to the Luminance being out
    of sync with the Chrominance

    Tried using S-Video and just Composite Video cables

    So go get a AV sender.

    Even TV's them selves have this Sync problem and are fitted with a Delayline..

    "Why a delay line? A delay line keeps the faster, luminance image in step with
    the slower, chrominance image. The narrowband chrominance signal requires more
    processing than the wideband luminance signal. This processing takes a brief,
    but significant time. The delay line assures that the two images start
    scanning across your screen at the same time. Without the delay line, you
    might notice that the monochrome picture starts before the color overlay
    Mary Hanna, Dec 26, 2009
  9. sherwin dubren

    Paul Guest

    Group delay effect is demonstrated in a screen shot on page 1.
    In this case, 300 meters of CAT5 cable was used for transmission.


    I have trouble believing this effect is significant enough to prevent
    a TV from working in the same room.

    Paul, Dec 26, 2009
  10. sherwin dubren

    Mary Hanna Guest

    These ware early Test that I did with a GF 3 when trying to play games on to a

    If I need to see Movies from the PC I use AVI (Xvid) and copy them to my
    USB stick and play them on my Cheap Philips CD Player that Supports AVI and
    has a USB port..

    I friend with 2 similar Philips DVD Players, one has HDMI out but both have
    USB ports, he use a Multimedia Drive that he plugs into the USB port
    Mary Hanna, Dec 27, 2009
  11. sherwin dubren

    Cronos Guest

    What do you mean exactly by an "AV sender"?
    Cronos, Dec 27, 2009
  12. sherwin dubren

    Mary Hanna Guest

    Mary Hanna, Dec 28, 2009
  13. sherwin dubren

    Cronos Guest

    OK, thanks. Probably very expensive too. Another way is to hook cable
    from vid card to HT receiver than receiver to TV. That acts like a
    repeater so depending on distance may well be doable.
    Cronos, Dec 28, 2009
  14. sherwin dubren

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Dec 28, 2009
  15. sherwin dubren

    Cronos Guest

    Already have one but never used it for that purpose. Probably because I
    don't pirate movies off the internet and PS3 can stream videos directly
    off the web so don't have to do it from my PC via the router. Youtube
    videos look like crap on my 50" Plasma anyway.
    Cronos, Dec 31, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.