Need advise on new Athlon 64 rig

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by XYZ, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. XYZ

    XYZ Guest

    MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Motherboard)
    Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle Socket 754 (Retail)
    1-Corsair VS512MB400 512 MB DDR 400 Cas 2.5
    ATX Case (Need advise on a case)

    ATI Radeon 9600xt (This is my current video card which I plan to continue
    using in the new system.)

    I'm considering these parts to upgrade my current Athlon 1600+ system.
    Shooter Games are probably the most demanding thing I use my computer for.
    I'm trying to keep the cost below $400. Am I doing a good thing or am I
    making a big mistake by not spending more and getting a socket 939 setup?

    Is this something that would overclock well? if so what type of results
    might I expect to see? Is the ram I'm considering of good enough quality
    for overclocking?

    Is it okay to have only one stick of ram? I sometimes see 512k advertised
    as "two" 256k sticks.

    I also need some advise on a good case with a power supply. My current case
    along with the other left over parts will be used to upgrade my Daughter's
    computer. All I ask for is a Plain Jane case that is easy to take apart for
    upgrades and maintenance and provides enough power and ventilation for the
    new
    Athlon 64. I don't need it to look like an alien space ship with lights and
    bright colors.

    I'm considering zipzoomfly.com to order everything from. They seem to have
    good prices and a good reputation. Is that a wise choice?

    It seems kind of scary going from the XP 1600+ which is 1400 MHz to a Athlon
    64 2800+ which is only 1800MHz. On the surface it doesn't seem like much of
    a jump. I know that the benchmarks show a much bigger difference.

    Well I hope you guys can help me out. I'm sorry for asking so many
    questions but this all seems so overwhelming at times. Thanks for all of
    your help.

    XYZ, Jan 1, 2005

  2. XYZ

    Falcon Freak Guest

    Learn how to spell advice and then maybe somebody will offer some to you.

    Falcon Freak, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Socket 754 is OK, but you may not find CPUs in a couple of years
    if you are thinking about an upgrade then. Also socket 754 CPUs do
    not support dual channel memory (see below).
    You only need 2 sticks for dual channel mode, which socket
    754 doesn't support. Dual channel memory is a performance
    boost for memory intensive stuff, not sure about gaming
    though.
    I have an Antec Sonata and would reccomend it to anybody. It
    comes with a decent power supply, and is a low noise design
    that works reasonably well for the price.
    Why not get a 3000+, it costs $20 extra for a full 2GHz.

    John Saunders, Jan 1, 2005
  4. XYZ

    XYZ Guest

    Sorry, I've been so advised. Thanks for your advice. Too bad spell
    checkers don't look at the subject.

    XYZ, Jan 1, 2005
  5. XYZ

    Mitch Crane Guest

    I've always had good experiences with them and with newegg.

    As for your hardware choices, I pretty much agree with John.

    Mitch Crane, Jan 2, 2005
  6. XYZ

    Ed Light Guest

    What -- you can't "advise"? It's not so hard.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jan 2, 2005
  7. XYZ

    Ed Light Guest

    You can check out most places at http://resellerratings.com

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Go with socket 939 if you can. It does costs more now but you will be
    able to uppgrade later on, socket754 CPU are getting phased out slowly
    and 939 is what amd will use thru 2005 anyway.

    Der Steppenwolf, Jan 2, 2005
  9. XYZ

    Falcon Freak Guest

    No probs :)

    Falcon Freak, Jan 2, 2005
  10. XYZ

    Falcon Freak Guest

    Falcon Freak, Jan 2, 2005
  11. Ok This is the set up i just rigged up myself. Not sure how much it
    helps but like yourself ive rigged it to become a gaming/multimedia
    system play alt of fps games myself

    AMD 64 3500+ Newcastle Socket 939
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    Corsair XMS Dual Channel 1GByte TwinX
    Asus Exteme Platinum EAX800XT 256MB PCI-Expresss
    200 GB Harddrive
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Pro
    Xaser Super TowerIII 2000

    Naj

    Najum Hussain, Jan 2, 2005
  12. XYZ

    Ed Light Guest

    Right. You see it.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jan 3, 2005
  13. XYZ

    Falcon Freak Guest

    Poor English is becoming more common - we need to put a stop to it.

    Falcon Freak, Jan 3, 2005
  14. XYZ

    Ed Light Guest

    Not everyone will check their posts as if they were turning them in to a
    professor. Reading usenet involves a bit of mental insight into what posts
    with errors are supposed to mean. I don't think you'll be able to change it!

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jan 3, 2005
  15. XYZ

    borolad Guest

    Falcon Freak, aptly named, and a trolling discontent overflowing with
    the central conceit and corrosively constructed arrogance that makes
    him devoted to the proposition that he and only he is correct.

    Character building first requires a character to build, Falcon Freak,
    bereft of the crutch of humanity, will walk hand in hand with himself
    through the portals of the USENET - alone - and hopelessly floundering
    because he and only he has the tools of " good English "

    This kind of grotesquery, this bucolic supremacism, this vernacular
    tyranny, this self evidently sense of witless hyperboly is ' maladie
    de fin de siecle ', but Falcon Freak will of course be the only
    affiliate member of the human race - not to see it.

    You can preach all you want, do it as forcefully and as
    arrogantly as you will. Those empowered with free will
    will back their arses up into your face and leave you
    looking like a turd with ears.

    P.S. did you miss Ed's Smiley's

    BoroLad

    borolad, Jan 3, 2005
  16. XYZ

    Mitch Crane Guest

    wrote in
    Corrosively constructed? Alliteration is fine when it makes sense. This
    doesn't.
    What is "the crutch of humanity"? Humanity is a crutch or the crutch of
    humanity is some other thing?
    I think you mean hyperbole (not to be confused with Hyper Bowling 4000).
    I think you are trying to say that Falcon Freak is behaving like an ass
    (which he is), but apparently you've accidentally been set to maximum
    verbosity. The message kind of got lost in the pretentiousness.

    Mitch Crane, Jan 3, 2005
  17. XYZ

    borolad Guest

    It makes sense to those who are creative not pedantic- see below
    Ah well there you go again - open your mind. Perspective - you use it
    or lose it, where you came from, where you are going, and where you
    were created are much more important than picking me up on my grammer.
    No M8 I meant what I said, " grotesquery " for example may not exist
    in any thesaurus, but it's my word, it's the way I speak - we have no
    need to limit our language - limitations are restrictions we place on
    our own lives ....argue for your limitations and sure enough they're
    yours!

    Grammer with an 'E', not an 'A'

    Sufficient then that my missive is understood by those that read it,
    it does not need correcting by you or anyone else. This is also the
    case for the O/P we all knew what he meant. He did not need a net-cop
    spell checking, grammer correcting chastisement giving lesson from
    anyone.
    Oh yes I always go with verbose, poetic, abstract, spiritual, don't
    let the clouds of correct grammer obscure you view. Express yourself
    anyway you wish - you see a cloud doesn't know why it moves in the
    universe in a specified direction and at a given speed, it only feels
    a compulsion - we are human breathing souls who think emotionally not
    texbook English. Let your 'inner learning creature' out to roam free
    Mitch Crane, you will make more friends an learn more that way.

    Of course you are free to change your mind and choose a different
    future, or a different past. Problems if they exist are gifts, there
    is no such thing a problem without a gift for you in it's hands, so
    seek problems because we need their gifts.

    Be creative, verbose, poetic, abstract, spiritual and your friends if
    you have any will know you better in the first minute you meet, than
    your acquaintances will get to know you in a thousand years.

    Your missing the whole point, it's not supposed to be perfect English,
    in accordance with the rules of grammer. Noun adjective or verb, so
    what, my point was / is that this is the USENET not school. All
    contributions are welcome providing they don't discriminate against
    anyone.

    Conscience is the measure of the honesty of our selfishness listen to
    it carefully Mitch Crane.

    Falcon Freak made an unjust distinction because of the O/P's English.
    This is discrimination [ from the Latin - discriminare ] this kind of
    prejudice should be highlighted and this I did do.

    Next it will be Jews, Gypsies, Catholics etc, better go kill them all
    now - just in case their grammer is bad - yeh!, right, that'll sort
    it.

    BoroLad

    borolad, Jan 3, 2005
  18. XYZ

    YanquiDawg Guest

    Oooh,"grotesquery", I like it!!

    YanquiDawg, Jan 3, 2005
  19. XYZ

    borolad Guest

    Good on yer yanquidawg, get free of the restriction the whole big
    round world will still know what you were trying to communicate !

    Use any word, vernacular or otherwise to communicate it's nice to
    learn about other peoples language.

    BoroLad

    borolad, Jan 3, 2005
  20. XYZ

    Mitch Crane Guest

    wrote in

    I submit your posts as evidence to the contrary.

    Mitch Crane, Jan 4, 2005