need AGP video card recommendation for older system - please help

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Adam, Oct 20, 2012.

  1. Adam

    Buffalo Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > "Buffalo" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Adam wrote:

    >>> Thanks (Rene), will keep that in mind.
    >>>

    >> What OS are you running?
    >> Buffalo
    >>

    > Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    > Guest OS: Windows XP Pro SP3
    >
    > Why?

    Mainly because some of the better APG vid cards won't properly run on an OS
    below XP.
    So, I was just checking.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Oct 23, 2012

  2. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in message

    > Adam wrote:
    >> "Buffalo" <> wrote in message

    >>> What OS are you running?
    >>> Buffalo
    >>>

    >> Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >> Guest OS: Windows XP Pro SP3
    >>
    >> Why?

    > Mainly because some of the better APG vid cards won't properly run on an
    > OS
    > below XP.
    > So, I was just checking.
    > Buffalo

    Thanks for checking. I'm thinking about
    not investing more (unless it's dirt cheap) into
    that old system and focusing on the new build now.

    Adam, Oct 23, 2012

  3. Adam

    Robert Miles Guest

    Re: need AGP video card recommendation for older system - pleasehelp

    On 10/20/2012 10:57 PM, Adam wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> Adam wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay, let me see if I can get someone to do a similar soldering solution.
    >>> If not, it may be better to swap out this AGP video card.
    >>> The video defects are definitely coming from this AGP video card,
    >>> which now has a heatsink part attached (since the fan failed).
    >>> The video defects disappear when another PCI video card is swapped in.

    >> If you already had a fan failure on the video card (the fan
    >> was not spinning for some period of time), the GPU could
    >> already have overheated. Fitting another fan or cooler, if
    >> the abusive situation lasted long enough, isn't going to fix
    >> it. The chip could be damaged.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > If fan failures are still common these days,
    > what's the best preventative measure to take with new video cards?
    > Keep the case open and aim an external fan at the video card?
    > I ask because I'm about to put together a new build and
    > I don't want fan failure to damage another video card.

    Something that helps is to choose a model of video card where
    the hot air from the card is exhausted outside the computer's
    case rather than inside it. This keeps the insides of the
    computer cooler, and therefore allows more time to detect the
    problem.

    Some computers (such as my laptop) now have a device for measuring
    the temperature of the CPU and also one for the graphics chip, and
    will quickly shut down the computer if either reaches a certain
    limit (100 C on my laptop, and apparently not settable).

    Robert Miles, Nov 12, 2012