Need an Opinion About Upgrading Latop

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Greg, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I presently have a Inspiron 8600. 1.6 Pentium M (banias with 1 meg L2
    Cache). A 40 gig 5400 rpm drive and a GeForce Go5200 with 64 meg of ram. 512
    Meg of system ram and a 1280x800 screen.

    I was looking at either upgrading this system or just selling it and
    scrounging some extra cash and getting a Inspriron 6000. I figure they will
    be going down since Intel has released the Mobil processor.

    If I were to upgrade the 8600 I would get a Dothan with 2 meg of L2 cache.
    At least 1.7 GHz. And a ATI 9600 card with 128 meg of ram. Leave the drive,
    system ram and lcd alone.

    On the other had does the ATI X300 PCI express that much faster than the
    9600 AGP?

    I'm happy with the 1280x800 resolution on the 8600. And it has been a good
    machine. I would just like a faster processor and video card.

    Thanks
    Greg

    Greg, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Greg

    Pelle Guest

    U better get a new machine then....do u use it for gaming or?
    u cant put in a dothan CPU in it when it comes to graphics im
    not sure what can be fitted into it.

    What u can uppgrade is the RAM 1024 MB would be nice and maybe
    fit another harddrive to i would go for a 7200 rpm
    drive....upgrading the CPU or the graphics seems to expensive
    .....if u cant find the parts very cheap

    but i would not go for a I6000......get a Latitude model or
    Inspiron 9300 or 9400

    Pelle

    Pelle, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Greg

    Tom Scales Guest

    Completely disagree. I have the 6000 and 9300 and MUCH prefer the 6000.
    The 9300 is WAY too big.

    Tom Scales, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Greg

    Pelle Guest

    depends how u use it i guess....i use my 9300 for gaming and
    my Latitude D610 when traveling and surfing the web in my
    sofa.... and i must say i dont like the 6000/9300 design very
    much...the ergonomy of the latitude series are way better

    Pelle

    Pelle, Jan 17, 2006
  5. Greg,
    Unfortunately, most of what you want to do is not possible.
    Upgrading a notebook is not trivial, and I believe your chipset can't
    handle a Dothan chip nor can you upgrade the video card. Even if you
    could upgrade a video card, AGP and PCI-X are two entirely different
    buses (so a X300 is out of the question). It's good you like the WXGA
    resolution because there's no cost effective way of changing that
    either. At best you can certainly upgrade your RAM and put a faster
    Banias P-M in there. Honestly, you'd be much better off looking at
    selling the current machine and picking up a new one if you want to
    increase performance.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. It is possible to upgrade both
    the processor and the video card. I've already upgraded the video card in it
    once. From the nVidia 5200 with 32 meg of ram to the 64 meg version. And the
    Radeon 9600 will also fit in it.

    http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500video.htm

    And the parts list for the 8600C (which I have) shows both Banias and Dothan
    processors. Same motherboard and chipset in both.

    http://www.bay-wolf.com/parts_insp8600c.htm

    Greg, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Interesting, but I still maintain that it's not cost effective to
    upgrade. What type of applications are you trying to improve
    performance in? Are you certain it's the processor/graphics card that
    is limiting you? If it's gaming performance you're after, you'd be much
    better off saving for a machine that's capable of using an X600 or
    better card (if you're curious, I have an X300 in my D610, and my
    roommate has a Radeon 9700 in his 9100, I can run some benchmamrks to
    see how they compare).

    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 18, 2006