need comments on eMachines Notebook with Mobile AMD AthlonT XP-M Processor 2200+

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Xing Jin, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Xing Jin

    Xing Jin Guest

    I will appreciate your any comments on this notebook.

    eMachines Notebook with Mobile AMD AthlonT XP-M Processor 2200+ -
    Black

    Model: M5305

    Husky power with a Mobile AMD AthlonT XP-M processor 2200+
    contained in a sleek 1.4" profile.

    Mobile AMD AthlonT XP-M processor 2200+ with
    QuantiSpeedT architecture* and AMD PowerNow!T technology for optimized
    battery life
    *QuantiSpeedT architecture operates at 1.8GHz

    512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM for multitasking capabilities

    DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive

    Product Features

    15.4" widescreen WXGA TFT-LCD display with
    1280 x 800 resolution

    40.0GB hard drive

    ATI Mobility RADEON IGP 320M graphics, with
    32MB DDR shared video memory

    10Base-T/100Base-T integrated Ethernet card
    with RJ-45 interface; V.92 high-speed modem

    Weighs 6.5 lbs. with one battery/about 1.4"
    thin for easy portability; high-capacity LiIon battery

    Windows XP Home Edition operating system
    preinstalled

    AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Athlon, AMD
    PowerNow!, QuantiSpeed and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced
    Micro Devices, Inc.

    Product Details

    Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year

    Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year

    Product Height 1.36"

    Product Width 14"

    Product Weight 6.3 lbs.

    Product Length 10"

    USB Ports 3 (USB 2.0)

    Video Memory 32MB DDR (shared)

    Maximum CD-ROM Drive Speed No CD-ROM drive

    Maximum DVD-ROM Drive Speed 8x

    Modem 56 Kbps* ITU V.92 *Capable of receiving
    56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53
    Kbps.

    MPEG Yes

    Networking Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition

    Parallel Ports 1

    PCMCIA Slots 1

    Pointing Device Touchpad with vertical scroll
    zone

    Processor Brand Mobile AMD AthlonT XP-M 2200+

    Processor Speed 1.8GHz

    Screen Size 15.4"

    Serial Ports 0

    Speakers Built-in stereo speakers

    System Bus 266MHz

    System Memory (RAM) 512MB

    System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 768MB

    Type of Memory (RAM) PC2100 DDR SDRAM

    Audio AC '97 audio

    Cache Memory 512KB integrated on die Level 2

    CD-ROM Drive No

    CD-RW Drive Shared

    Battery Type Lithium-ion (LiIon)

    CD-RW Drive Speeds 24x10x24

    Diskette Drive Optional

    Diskette Drive Type External 3.5" 1.44MB
    floppy (optional)

    Display Type Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT

    DVD-ROM Drive Shared

    DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive Yes

    DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive Speeds 8x max.
    DVD-ROM; 24x10x24 CD-RW

    Game Ports 0

    Graphics ATI Mobility RADEON IGP 320M

    Hard Drive Type EIDE

    Hard Drive Size 40.0GB

    Included Software Microsoft Works 7.0, Money
    2003, Encarta Online, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Media Player, Real
    Player, Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, CompuServe, AOL 8.0, Norton
    AvtiVirus 2003 (90-day trial subscription)

    IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports 0

    Xing Jin, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Xing Jin

    Jomama Guest

    Depends on how much it is.

    They have a brand new one the M5310 for $1199.99

    Jomama, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Xing Jin

    Lisa Horton Guest

    I have one. I like it. It has a good screen and a good keyboard. The
    hard drive looks easy to replace/upgrade.

    I do digital imaging, so the wide screen is a real help, there's room
    for an image and all the palettes. DVD's look really really good. The
    speakers sound like tiny little speakers, but the sound quality out of
    the headphone jack sounds good with good phones or good speakers. 3 USB
    2.0 ports means you may not need a hub.

    The one thing I don't like about it is that you cannot disable the
    trackpad. The driver software has a provision to disable the trackpad
    when an external PS2 device is connected, but this computer has no PS2
    port, and a PS2 device through a USB adapter doesn't seem to count. A
    small quibble, I'm quite pleased overall.

    The new M5310 model adds firewire (good) and 802.11G, which is less good
    than you might think. Built in isn't as easy to upgrade to the next new
    standard as a PC card device is.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Xing Jin

    IS Guest

    I have a M5310. I really thinks it's an awesome machine. Definitely one of /
    if not the best buys out there.
    I have only one complaint about it and that is the fan noise. The mobile AMD
    is really good but it has fan noise. So I'm going to look around for a
    "quiet fan" it may help.

    Thanks.

    IS.

    IS, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Xing Jin

    John Guest

    The builtin 802.11g is actually a mini PCI card that can be accessed
    thru one of the two hatches on the bottom of the machine. In theory
    you should be able to replace it with any other mini PCI card in the
    future if needed.

    J.

    John, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Xing Jin

    i'm_tired Guest

    Straying from the discussion in this thread just a little bit if you don't
    mind: Do you happen to know of the M5310 comes with a driver CD? I've
    ordered the computer from Best Buy and expect it next week. I intend to
    format and install W2K, or if absolutely necessary, WXP-Pro. Does a driver
    disk come with the package?

    i'm_tired, Aug 30, 2003
  7. Xing Jin

    Lisa Horton Guest

    It comes with a set of 3 "restore" CD's, but on the third CD you can
    find the drivers to install separately.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 30, 2003
  8. Xing Jin

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Hmmm.... Are Mini PC cards common? I'm wondering now if I can put that
    (presumably) empty slot in my M5305 to use in some way. Maybe replace
    my Cardbus WiFi card with an internal card, freeing up my PC card slot.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 30, 2003
  9. Xing Jin

    i'm_tired Guest

    According to tech support from eMachines, the 802.11g card connects to two
    internal antennae. If the M5305 doesn't have those, it might not be
    worthwhile.

    i'm_tired, Aug 30, 2003