    What i hook up to what controler knob i don't know ill have to think
    about it any sugestions.

    Thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Depending on the layout of your case, ducting might help a bit (or a lot, or
    possibly not at all :) ). I'm assuming you have a "normal" arrangement:
    tower case, one 80mm fan in the PSU drawing air in from the back of the PSU,
    two 80mm case fans below the PSU and a HSF that pushes air onto the sink..

    What you want to do is get cool air into your HSF. A good way to do this is
    to cut a big hole in the side of your case, chuck an air filter in it, and
    duct the hole directly to the top of your HSF. An easy material to work with
    is old icecream containers (particularily the lids and bases). Of course,
    this impacts a bit on the removability of the side of your case, so there's
    another option. This involves isolating the airflows.

    I'll assume that your HSF vents vertically (though the same ideas apply for
    horizontally and 4-way exhausting HSFs), and is in the "normal" ATX position
    below the PSU. Essentially you place a piece of plastic in your case that is
    in the same direction as your motherboard, but at about the same height as
    the fan on the HSF. You also need to do some ducting to make sure your
    intake fans are blowing into the top layer, and exhaust fans sucking from
    the bottom layer, so a bit of careful plastic placement is needed. As
    mentioned, icecream containes are very good for this as they bend really
    easily. I've done it on my dual-cpu rig with a lot of success (sorry, bad
    photo):

    http://www.emboss.co.nz/ducts/ducts1.jpg

    I've made a few tweaks since then (mainly in spaghetti central) but there's
    been no noticable difference in temperatures so haven't bothered to upload
    another photo.

    For joining, use masking tape or normal sellotape (the former preferred) for
    testing, then ideally use electrical tape (even better if it's
    self-amalgamating) for final placement.

    Michael Brown, Jan 2, 2004

  3. And what you have now works ow well, before and after temps ?

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 2, 2004

    CoCo Guest

    hi

    why dont you use 120mm fans? i modded 3 machines now to use 120mm fans as
    exhaust fans, very quiet and gives high cfm throghtput in the whole box.
    (homemade 120mm hole for the fan and no stamped holes in the front.)

    better hs? there are lots of good hs....
    (my two last artic cooling copper silent 2, 2200rpm 18db up to amd 3200+,
    www.artic-cooling.com)

    coco

    CoCo, Jan 2, 2004

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Alos, taping up the slots where the clip exits the heatsink on each side,
    forcing all the air to go through the fins, has been known to lower temps a
    few degrees.

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2004

    Top-poster Guest

    Take your side panel off - get a big drop.

    Top-poster, Jan 3, 2004
  7. I just put a 120mm fan at front 76cfm, and a side fan i also put a
    80mm fan on the bottom of my PSU to blow air intoit and out of the PSu
    with its out fan ?>? why sounded a good idea at the time.

    The temp is stable at 55c now idle going to add a top fan to see if
    that helps any just want to get it to 50c idle in australia its
    arround 30,34,40,45c in summer prob 35 average all summer.

    Gettting vantec fanbus so i can test and run my fans to see what fans
    cool the best.

    Thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 3, 2004

    Gene Puhl Guest

    I'm in Perth WA, on the really hot days, the covers come off....

    Gene Puhl, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Perth Hot ?

    With that sea breeze ??, try inner Sydney The heat just builds up and
    we boil :0

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 3, 2004

    Gene Puhl Guest

    Boxing Day-42C
    35C inside the house=hot!
    No sea breeze that day, what followed was Perth's hottest night on record,
    28C @ 4 in the morning was the minimum

    Gene Puhl, Jan 3, 2004

    Hank Guest

    What? Refrigerated cooling hasn't made to down under yet??

    Hank

    Hank, Jan 3, 2004

    Amir Facade Guest

    I guess no one gets skis for Christmas down under.

    Amir Facade, Jan 3, 2004

    Larry Gagnon Guest

    You have received many replies on fan suggestions, which is part of the
    equation. The other part of the equation is your ambient air temperature
    surrounding your PC case. This is vital to achieving reasonable CPU temps.

    I live in Canada (better for PC temps than Oz I'm sure!). In the morning
    here (after reducing room heat overnight), my M/B temp is 15deg C and my
    idle overclocked XP2500 (to 3200) CPU temp is about 24 deg C (38 at full
    load). In the afternoon when the room gets heated up artificially and by
    sunshine my M/B temp is 25-27deg C and my CPU idle jumps to about 38deg C,
    at 100% load it gets to about 54deg C (in the afternoons). You can see what
    a huge variation ambient air temp makes. My suggestions (other than fans,
    which are obvious) are:

    1) place your PC case on the floor, where it is cooler, preferably
    non-carpeted.
    2) ensure good air circulation around your PC case, with lots of free space
    3) open windows for circulation
    4) close blinds, make sure no direct sunlight near your PC case
    5) air conditioning as a last resort! (fans are cheaper!)

    Good luck...

    Larry Gagnon, Jan 3, 2004

    Gene Puhl Guest

    Water skis

    Gene Puhl, Jan 4, 2004

    Gene Puhl Guest

    Not in my old house. Pretty much all new houses have air conditioning.

    Gene Puhl, Jan 4, 2004

    Mike Moseng Guest

    Ummm, just a lurking rookie here but... If it were me I would check
    the basics before adding bigger fans, cutting holes, ducting, and
    stuff like that. Like maybe trying to re-seat the hsf with some
    quality new goop, and moving cables, drives and wires around so as to
    provide better airflow. As long as you got the hole in the side I
    guess another fan wouldn't hurt depending on how you have the airflow
    set up now. too many fans blowing and not enough sucking defeats the
    purpose, as well as the opposite.

    Well, just my 2 cents worth. But I'm old school and believe more is
    not always the best. Of course if all else fails you can just shove
    the hole thing in a can of LN2! :)

    Mike Moseng, Jan 5, 2004