Need CPU Fan for Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P MB

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Bill, Aug 18, 2011.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have a Intel-860, I7 CPU on the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P MB
    I am using the Intel CPU fan that came with the CPU.

    In the last day of so, my CPU fan is starting to vibrate a little.
    If I push gently on the center of the fan it reduces or stops the
    vibrations (so this fan IS the cause). CPU temps with the stock fan are
    37 or so, so I am not panicking yet, but I hope replacing the CPU fan
    will eliminate the new noise and avoid a serious overheating problem.

    I do not overclock, except for the what the CPU coes on it's own.

    I was considering Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus becase it is quiet and
    has good reviews, but I was curious whether such a large fan hanging off
    of my vertical situated MB would be an issue. My Antel Solo case is 8"
    wide so I don't think it's height would be a problme.

    A fan which I could install without removing the MB from the case would
    be attractive (if it was also quiet). Can anyone help me with any
    suggestions?

    Thank you,
    Bill

    Bill, Aug 18, 2011

  2. Bill

    Paul Guest

    If you buy an aftermarket cooler, all that you need to do is make
    sure it has a standard fan on top.

    The CoolerMaster cooler on my current computer broke, and because the
    fan was standard, I could put a Vantec Stealth fan in its place. That
    meant I got to keep the heatsink portion, and was only paying for
    a new fan.

    I broke the fan on my CoolerMaster, by cleaning dust off the blade.
    Seems it wants a pretty light touch, during cleaning.

    You can look at the manual, to see how hard it is to install.
    Mine, I have the motherboard on a tray, and have to pull the
    tray out, to remove the heatsink, as the mounting nuts are on the solder
    side of the motherboard.

    The manual shows the retention plate on this one, stays on the motherboard
    when you remove the heatsink on the component side of the motherboard. So
    it's a better design than mine. There is a nut and bolt to hold the plate
    to the motherboard, then the mounting screw on the heatsink, plugs into the
    head of the bolt. So this design is decoupled a bit. You'll still have
    to pull the motherboard, to put it in place. But subsequent maintenance
    will be easier, as the plate on the bottom will stay in place and not fall off.

    http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/download/539/files/Hyper 212 Plus (fan bracket).pdf

    The manual is a 19.3MB download. Absurd, considering the simplicity of the
    content. There are 130 page motherboard manuals, smaller than that.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 18, 2011

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Paul, Thank you for your reply! I watch the CoolerMaster fan
    installation video on YouTube a few times yesterday. Then, today, I
    phoned Intel's Customer Service, to ask them to send me a new stock fan.
    At this point, I'm not sure the CoolerMaster fan is worth the amount
    of extra time that would be involved.

    It didn't even occur to me to contact Intel until I read about someone
    else doing so. Hopefully, I won't even need to remove the MB from the
    case to replace the heatsink/fan, and that will be a nice convenience.

    Thank you your help today and in the past!

    Bill
    (from Indiana)

    Bill, Aug 19, 2011