Need Dell edition of Windows Media Center Edition 2005..

Discussion in 'Dell' started by allegro, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
    with my system.
    A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
    minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.

    I tried again and again, but no luck.
    So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.

    I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me a
    new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but then
    it was running fine, so)

    Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and key
    for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.

    But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
    that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
    -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
    That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy of
    a friend..
    I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
    newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
    otherwise those 12mb of files would do.

    The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

    -------- The needed files ---------
    In folder \I386:
    DPCDLL.DL_
    EULA.TXT
    NT5INF.CA_
    OEMBIOS.BI_
    OEMBIOS.CA_
    OEMBIOS.DA_
    OEMBIOS.SI_
    PIDGEN.DLL
    SETUPP.INI
    SETUPREG.HIV
    UNATTEND.TXT
    WINNT.SIF

    In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
    WIN95UPG.INF

    Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

    You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
    the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

    Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

    @ECHO OFF
    :START
    MKDIR C:\XPbios
    MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
    COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

    Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
    folder-, then save it and double cick it..

    On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
    you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

    allegro, Mar 6, 2005

  2. This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and
    getting a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system
    actually ship with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention
    doesn't make sense because most people would NOT have a need to
    reinstall their system within the first 30 days.

    What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a
    fee that you are unwilling to pay?

    I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
    that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005

    Patrick L. Parks, Mar 6, 2005

  3. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Yes, i did post this before because i've been trying to get a copy for
    ages..
    I did call and email Dell for about a month i guess.. I have the emails to
    prove it. (In Dutch)
    Yes, my system shipped with MCE2005, and i haven't changed anything, except
    i changed the tvtuner for a Hauppauge PVR500MCE dual tuner card..

    Well, that was what i thought also.. Most people don't reinstall it that
    often, but i wanted it clean without some stuff Dell installed..
    Because someone mentioned in this group it could be the 21 days/30 days
    thing, i thought maybe that's the problem..
    Now i'm unsure, did Dell somehow screw up my system/order details? It show's
    correctly if i use Dell's System Profiler thingy..

    Dell told me they can't supply me with a replacement cd, because i should
    have got one with my system.. I told them i DID have it, but it is not
    working..
    However, still no luck.. I also asked if i could just send my copy to them
    first, and recieve a working copy in return..
    Dell didn't mention a fee (probably because they refused to send a copy),
    but i have no problem paying a small fee.. But Dell, please just send me the
    cd..

    I understand some people may think i just want a free copy of MCE2005, but
    if that would be the case i'd just downloaded one of the several copy's
    posted every week on usenet..

    I just want my Dell copy working again, and hoped i have more luck finding a
    copy here (or someone willing to upload one) than on other groups..
    Someone promised a copy on another group, but never posted or uploaded it..
    No possible way to contact him..

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    allegro, Mar 6, 2005
  4. allegro

    Johoo Guest

    Allegro is right. Dell Netherlands isn't very helpfull if items are missing
    or "broken". Lost manuals or cd's, changing waranty, changing owner,
    spare-parts. All these things are very difficult for the dutch dell guys.

    harrie

    Johoo, Mar 6, 2005
  5. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Ah,

    I see you know what i'm talking about.. However, i've should have know..
    When i bought my other Dell, a Dimension 8300, a year ago i had some earlier
    nasty experiences with Dell "Support"..
    I have no idea if stat's something Dutch or Benelux specific experience..
    But since it's a great machine.. I thought what the heck.. Next time i
    really have to think twice..

    But, i really hope someone in this newsgroup is more helpfull in supplying
    me with a working copy, 'cause Dell isn't really helping..

    So, if someone could just upload the disc -preferred- (or the needed files)
    to my XDrive account or if that's easier, a newsgroup that would be great..
    I would love to get my system back up and running like it should.. The
    language of the disc isn't important, i prefer Dutch, but UK/US is also OK.

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    My XDrive account:
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    Username:
    Password: upload

    That way you don't have to sign up..

    allegro, Mar 6, 2005
  6. allegro

    RRR_News Guest

    allegro,
    1. Have you tried to see if you can copy to a blank CD using another PC,
    your Dell CD. There may be something wrong with your CD-ROM.

    2. Or run a cleaning CD disk in your CD-ROM.

    3. Since you say that the Restore CD is useless, have you tried apply JUST
    water, and wiping the face of the CD? Don't use any alcohol or ammonia based
    cleaner.

    4.Or bring the CD to a computer repair shop, and see if they can clean it,
    or at least burn a copy for you.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    RRR_News, Mar 7, 2005
  7. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I cleaned it, used Isobuster and other recovery tools, and i actually went
    to MyCom (a computer shop in Holland) where they tried different machines to
    get the data off it..
    They used some sort of polishing device/solution to try to repair it..
    Nothing worked.. It just seemed the cd itself is not pressed/written
    correctly..

    I've tried anything i could think of..

    That's why, the Dell userbase is some sort of last hope for me..

    If someone could just help me.. I just need the cd to work, but Dell doesn't
    seem to care and the cd itself is useless.. (MyCom tried everything they
    could to recover the disc/data, they tried to convince me the were better
    then Dell.. At least they tried.. That's more than i can say from Dell..)

    Well, i still hope someone here can help me with a copy..

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    allegro, Mar 7, 2005
  8. allegro

    ric Guest

    seeing as no-one seems willing to help here, you might have more luck
    downoading a dodgy copy of mce2005 off usenet, and extracting the files
    you need from there.
    however, i'd be quite forceful with dell first: you bought a product,
    and part of it is faulty. this is their responsibility to sort out:
    duff disks are not that uncommon. call, speak to a supervisor and
    explain you have faulty media and need it swapping out. this shouldn't
    be a big issue with them...

    ric, Mar 7, 2005
  9. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Just wanted to update the posting;
    Called Dell a few hours ago, but still they refuse to send a replacement. No
    idea what to do next..
    Went to a computershop called ViComputer, explained the whole thing and told
    them what i tried (and MyCom) to get the disc to work..
    They offered to try getting a copy of the data, but they also failed to get
    the data off.. They tried extracting to an iso, disc to disc copy, disc to
    image.. And off course tried to copy the files manually..
    Nothing seemed to work and they confirmed the disc itself is bad... They say
    there is absolutely no possible way to get the whole disc to fuction.. In
    fact, one of the technical guys placed a bet: if i could get the data back
    myself or with the help of another firm i get a free coupon of ?50,-.. He
    was that sure..

    So, it really seems i'm screwed unless someone here could help me out..
    I guess there should be a fellow Dell user with a Dell branded disc of
    Windows XP Media Center Edition in his possession?
    Does anyone could upload a copy to me or to a newsgroup?

    A full Dutch copy is preferred, but a UK?US version (or the needed files) i
    can work with..

    I'm really desparate and frustrated with Dell, so if someone could help me
    out that would be great..
    If wanted, i can offer a small fee for uploading.. (Paypal)

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

    allegro, Mar 7, 2005
  10. allegro

    S.Lewis Guest

    Allegro,

    Granted the apparent stupidity of all this, why not call Microsoft and ask
    them what legal options you have so far as they're concerned?

    I fully realize they'll want to push support back to Dell for the OEM CD.
    That's not my point. My point is that they may be able to offer some
    suggestion as to options for obtaining a copy that they themselves would
    consider "legitimate".

    Be that:

    1) an uploaded copy
    2) a Dell OEM copied CD from another Dell user
    3) a downloaded copy used in conjunction with your Dell COA/key (if that
    would work at all)

    I'd also move to speaking with U.S. customer care via a posting or private
    message to the moderator here:

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=customer_care

    Sure, it's the U.S., but perhaps you could get a solution by shaking the
    tree from the states end.

    There has to be a solution to this.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 7, 2005
  11. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I can answer this one fast because i allready tried contacting MS about this
    when i got my first rejection of a replacement cd from Dell.
    Then i tried MS, and ofcourse they told me i had to contact Dell for
    support, they can't help me with a OEM copy.
    However, i was told by support staff, that as long i have a Dell OEM MCE2005
    cd key and licence i can use both a downloaded copy or a copy from another
    user as long it's a Dell copy..
    They also said, that if i keep my original (defective) disc when using a
    copy, that would be the best option.. Had something to do with proving
    ownership or something.. I guess it's the same as making a safety copy, i
    just have to resort to another disc for that..

    The problem is, i just can't find a Dell copy, not on the usenet or
    anywhere.. (most people i know with a Dell use XP Home or Pro, not MCE..)
    So, that's why i try here.. I just need a nice Dell user who could help me
    out by letting me have a safety/backup copy..

    And the other thing; i did contact the US CC of Dell a few months ago
    regarding an issue with my other system and the inability of Dell
    Netherlands to deal with it.
    They told me, they would like to help but could not because they could not
    use my order details, etc because it was ordered from the Dutch site..
    They promised to contact the Dutch Dell department, but haven't heard
    anything since and the issue wasn't resolved by them..

    So, i'm kinda lost... MS did not have a real problem when i get copy from
    another Dell user, as long i have my original cd, key and licence..
    However, i still need to find the disc itself.. Shouldn't be difficult, Dell
    group, fast internet connections.. Someone should be able to help me out, i
    guess..
    So please, let me now if anyone could upload the Dell branded MCE2005 disc,
    Dutch version would be best.. But i can use another language if that's the
    only option..

    Allegro.

    allegro, Mar 7, 2005
  12. allegro

    S.Lewis Guest

    How about e-mailing Michael Dell's office? At this point, it surely
    couldn't hurt - and by all means offer to return (in exchange for a working
    replacement CD) the original flawed CD....

    The guy gets tons of e-mail, I'm sure, but I'd imagine he has a staff to
    parse and push through legitimate problems such as these. Shoot, I'd try it
    as it can't hurt anything.

    I'd also continue posting to the Dell community forum, here, and other
    places looking for a Dell user who has the MCE CD. If I had it, I'd burn a
    copy for you this second.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 7, 2005
  13. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Thanks,

    I'll try mailing Michael Dell, although i don't think it will help..

    And, i did try the Dell comunnity forum, however didn't get much response
    there, while here at least people reply..

    So i'm still hoping someone on this group has it and would be so kind to
    upload it..

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    allegro, Mar 7, 2005
  14. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I'm still very interested in a copy of the Dell branded Windows XP Media
    Center Edition 2005.
    If you've read this growing thread, you'll see i've tried everything to get
    Dell send me a replacement disc, which they refuse/don't for unknown
    reasons..
    I also tried cleaning/recovering the disc and the data on it, even 2
    computer stores did everything they could think of.. Didn't work..

    I also have to mention i have original (defective) Dell MCE2005 disc, cdkey
    and licence and the assurance of MS i'm OK with any downloaded or borrowed
    copy of MCE2005, as long as i have the licence, key and orig. disc. They
    say, it does have to be a Dell copy, not regular OEM to be legit..

    So, if someone on this group does have a copy of MCE 2005 from Dell, and is
    willing to upload it to a newsgroup or my XDrive account, that would be
    great..

    Best would be the Dutch copy, but any other is fine also i guess.

    It's been a month or so, and i'm getting very tired of Dell's response (or
    lack of it..) It's really frustrating me..

    So, maybe someone here could help me out. I'm willing to pay a small fee for
    the upload if wanted..

    Thanks in advance,

    Allegro.

    XDrive account
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    allegro, Mar 7, 2005
  15. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Mail to Mr. Dell sent and i also posted again on the Dell forums, and here.
    Problem is, best would be to keep the message as clearly as possible.. ("In
    need of MCE2005 cd, please upload..")
    But of course i have to explain why i need it, that's OK. But i think most
    of users with MCE2005 think: "i'm not gonna read all that.."
    And maybe that's why noone yet offered to upload the disc.. Most other
    reactions are great, but
    think i didn't try all i could to get the disc working again.. ("Do you have
    a dvd-rom player? Dell's MCE is on dvd..")

    So, i still hope someone would react that actually HAS the disc and is
    willing to upload..
    Since i posted to the Dell forum and here, i posted it wherever i could
    think of.. No idea where i could post besides these, since this is Dell
    specific..

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    allegro, Mar 8, 2005
  16. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Since no one seems to have it at the moment, i'll just wait if someone
    replies and is willing to upload. Otherwise i just have to post this request
    again.
    Since i really wanted the system to run, i had to resort to a pirated copy..
    I'm not very happy with that, but since no one will upload atm..
    I just have to wait and see if someone would be so nice here to help me out,
    since i know this isn't running a legal copy.
    Running a Dell copy with my orig. Dell key and licence is..
    But at least i have it running for now, although i would feel better with a
    Dell copy..
    Hi,

    Still hope someone could help me out with this.. A Dutch uploaded copy would
    be best, but other languages would work also..
    Or just those 12mb of files to change a regular in a Dell copy.. I'm willing
    to pay a small fee for it.. It's
    also possible to send it by regular mail.. (Or usenet)

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    I picture i took with my budget camera of my defective copy (Dutch):
    http://img87.exs.cx/img87/1228/dutchdellmce1bg.jpg

    XDrive account
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    Best would be full (Dutch) disc, other wise 12mb of needed files would help:

    allegro, Mar 10, 2005
  17. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I wanted to update this thread, since i called Dell again today.
    After been connected many times with diferent support personel, finally got
    some confirmation:
    The software return period (still not sure if it's 21 or 30 days) is the
    reason i don't get a replacement.
    Besides that, they removed MCE2005 from the software list, because they only
    got a few orders and most people only want XP Home or Pro.

    So, i guess this means i can forget any help from Dell.. I also mailed
    Michael Dell himself, but i think even he can't help me if they dropped
    support for MCE2005 in the Netherlands..
    This seems to me like a total lack of service and support, even if i'm
    willing to pay big bucks Dell can't help me.. I thought they should at least
    have a few copies of MCE2005 (Dutch) in the factory.

    So, unless someone was lucky enough to get a Dutch Dell copy of Windows XP
    Media Center Edition 2005 disc, and is willing to upload or mail it by
    regular mail.. I can just use any Dell copy of MCE2005.. Does not matter if
    it's UK, US or any other language..

    Uploading the full copy would be best, but if that's too much too ask, about
    12mb of needed files would convert any regular OEM copy to a Dell copy..
    Only thing is, i don't know the precise directory structure and label
    (discname) anymore.. Somene could help me out? Anything i missed?
    I tried cleaning the Dell dvd again, tried to polish it, but it was a bit
    too much i guess.. Now i only get a "no disc" message after a few minutes..
    But, since i never written down the directory structure or label/name of the
    disc, i just have no idea what is on the Dell disc that's not on the regular
    OEM?
    I did not do a side by side comparison, but the 2cd's of the regular OEM are
    800mb together, the Dell disc was larger if i remember correctly..
    So, if someone could list the cdlabel and directory structure that would be
    great..

    To upload the full disc or the 12mb of needed files -specified below- (and
    maybe the content i'm missing), you can use any binaries newsgroup or my
    XDrive account:
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    So, maybe someone here could help me out. I'm willing to pay a small fee for
    the upload if wanted..

    Thanks in advance,

    Allegro.

    My Dell copy (now it's in much worser shape)

    allegro, Mar 14, 2005