Need external screen blanking while entering password

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Mickey Segal, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    While giving a talk today using a slate Tablet PC I had to go through
    contortions to log into our software on the Web without revealing my
    password. It would be helpful if there were a good way to do this.

    When I got to the password textfield I had to press the hardware button on
    the Motion Computing M1300 bringing up the "Dashboard" program and disable
    the external display. After entering the password I had to reverse the
    process. Since it takes a few seconds for the Dashboard to appear the whole
    process was awkward.

    Is there a better way of doing this?

    It is not hard to imagine OS support that could make this easier. If there
    were a property to designate for a textfield that turned off the external
    display when that textfield was displaying the TIP that would work, though
    the programmer would have to know of such a capability. A better solution
    would be to recognize textfields that replace characters with asterisks and
    assume those require external display blanking (possibly with some override
    for demos of signing in).

    Are such capabilities already available or are these the sort of things that
    get done properly only in version 3 or 4 of the Tablet OS?

    Mickey Segal, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I noticed something that may be relevant. Right-clicking the tray icon that
    brings up the Tablet and Pen Settings pops up a menu that has a "Turn off
    screen" entry. Recklessly I tried it, and it blanked out my screen for a
    few seconds and then the display came back, seemingly having done nothing of
    any use. Does this do something useful with a projector attached such a
    turn off the projector? I don't have a projector to test.

    Mickey Segal, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Are you running Tablet PC Edition 2005?

    Chris H., Dec 17, 2004
  4. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Yes, I'm running Tablet PC Edition 2005.

    Mickey Segal, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I figured out what this does and it was not what I am looking for. It
    blanks out the screen until the next time you touch the screen with the pen.
    It would be nice to have a "Blank external screen" item on this popup.

    Mickey Segal, Dec 17, 2004
  6. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Can't you log on to the system before attaching it to the display? When you
    tap the passcode in, Tablet PC Edition 2005 does not display the depressed
    keys.

    Chris H., Dec 17, 2004
  7. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    The problem is in running our software from the Web, which requires a log-in
    on the Web site.

    Mickey Segal, Dec 17, 2004
  8. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Oops. :cool: Sorry, there isn't a way to blank that in Tablet PC Edition
    2005. I'm pretty sure Microsoft was looking into that at one point, but
    probably won't do anything about it until the next operating system.

    Chris H., Dec 17, 2004
  9. Mickey,

    You may get some of the variations I just used to work. It will depend on
    the requirements of the exact system your logging into.

    For logging on to a couple web-sites. After I entered name, I had
    previously, put my password in the Clipboard. Then I would simply put my
    pen on the password edit field, when the floating icon for the TIP appeared,
    I would right-click the pen barrel and select the Paste option rather than
    using the TIP. Voila, My password would be inserted, and putting in a
    cr/lf would logon. Fast and easy. This is basically what most of the
    type-text-macros would do.

    Try it, it may work for you the next time you present. YMMV

    Hope this helps,

    Fritz

    Fritz Switzer, Dec 17, 2004
  10. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Good thought. This works for Java TextFields in Sun's Java but
    unfortunately it doesn't work at all for Java TextFields in Microsoft's
    Java, even when the TIP appears as expected (intermittently it doesn't
    appear as detailed at www.segal.org/java/tablet_events/). TextFields in
    Microsoft's Java don't even respond to right clicks with a mouse, though
    CTRL-V pasting works if you happen to have a keyboard.

    Mickey Segal, Dec 17, 2004
  11. Mickey,

    Yes, I can see how it wouldn't be a "universal" solution. I don't know if
    that exists anymore anyway. It will work in some situations, hence the YMMV
    needs to apply. :)

    Good luck nevetheless. At least it's better than booting a computer while
    the audience shuffles in their seats while you tap keys on the TIP.

    Fritz

    Fritz Switzer, Dec 17, 2004