    something I'm overlooking. I've not tweaked any card settings but tried
    triple buffering on or off with same results.

    P.Xex

    Promextheus Xex, Dec 30, 2005

  2. I've noticed this as well, however it was working fine previously. I was
    just thinking that I recently installed the 5.13 drivers. Maybe I'll go back
    to the 5.12 and see if that fixes it.

    I have Athlon 64 3500+ with Radeon X800 XT Platinum AGP - DVI.

    I will let you know what I find out.

    HockeyTownUSA, Dec 30, 2005

  3. That would be good to know. Perhaps others also are having this problem.
    What resolution are you running it in? I don't expect to run it in the
    1776x1000 that I run the sking game in as the graphics are more intense with
    NFS.

    P.Xex

    Promextheus Xex, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Promextheus Xex

    DDC Guest

    Athlon 64 3200+ e6 + a8n5x bios 502 + non supported mem ddr400 running
    at 333. with pci-E rx800-td cheap card and it work better than my
    x700pro build buy ati. Also i use 5.13 dr.

    And the game runs fine at 1024x764x32 (max res of my crt) + everything
    set to max.

    DDC, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Running at 1024x768. Your PC and mine should be able to handle it with no
    problem. Like I said, I was running fine until recently then I realized I
    installed 5.13 drivers recently too. Haven't had a chance to uninstall
    reinstall yet though.

    HockeyTownUSA, Dec 30, 2005
  6. Promextheus Xex

    Jason A Guest

    I've been running NFS:MW at 1280x1024, with no problems, and a very
    similar setup.

    Catalyst 5.11
    Athlon64 3000+
    Radeon x850xt (PCI-E)
    2GB RAM

    If anyone wants the 5.11s, let me know, I can put them up on an FTP
    site. They are the version with the Catalyst Control Center, though...

    Jason.

    Jason A, Dec 30, 2005
  7. No need to post. They are available on ATI's site:

    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293

    HockeyTownUSA, Dec 30, 2005
  8. It turns out that I was running with the 5.11 cat's all this time. Just for
    fun I upgraded to 5.13 to see if there are any differences, and I noticed an
    improvement... but there are times at 1024x768x32 when you get these small
    game stalls, usually lasting about 1/2 a sec or less. Managed to crank up
    more of the advanced settings in the game. The only other apps I have
    running other than the windows system stuff is Norton Antivirus 2005 (with
    my GAMES directory excluded from scans), ATI remote control app, and a
    couple of other very minor apps in the system tray.

    Outside of the specs in my first post for this thread, I'm using Ultramon to
    swap primary and secondary so game will run on my Sony HDTV (DVI cable
    plugged into vid card DVI port... cards primary) set at 1776x1000. I'm
    assuming that when game kicks in it should reset the vid settings to the
    game settings. I've tried to get Ultramon to set the TV initally to
    1024x768 (even though I think this shouldn't matter). I've got the Catalyst
    Control Centre > Digital Panel Properties > Image Scaling set to "scale
    image to full panel size" so that it fills the full 50" area and not just a
    window look in the center. This distorts the image to look a little wider,
    but its worth it and it seems to make no difference whether this feature is
    on or off. I tried increasing my AGP apeture size from 128 to 256 MB but it
    almost looks like it set me back a bit instead of an improvement. I have
    512 RAM installed.

    There must be something I'm overlooking. I will keep experimenting.

    P.Xex

    Promextheus Xex, Dec 30, 2005
  9. Promextheus Xex

    Mark Guest

    You wrote in thusly:
    It is recommended that you keep the AGP aperture around 64MB to 128MB in
    size. Lower if you have a lot of on-board GFX memory.
    That's sounds like the majority of your problem right there, not enough
    physical memory. That, and perhaps swapping that is likely occurring.

    When is the last time you de-fragged your hard drive? Do you have a
    static or dynamic swap space? Separate hard drive or partition for the
    Pagefile? Can you tell if the delay happens when the hard drive is being
    accessed?

    Mark, Dec 31, 2005
  10. How much memory are we talking about... as it is no problem to get more. As
    for fragmentation, I uses O&O Defrag set on auto, but every few days I force
    it to defrag... I'm pretty picky about a messy hard drive. I've noticed
    that my pagefile is dynamic set at a range of 768-1536MB. I can set the
    size as static to my 250GB secondary hard drive and defrag (SPACE) the main
    to see if I get improvement. Not sure if delays occur during hard drive
    activity as I'm in next room.

    - P.Xex

    Promextheus Xex, Dec 31, 2005
  11. I forgot to ask... should I further reduce my AGP aperture size to 64 (now
    at 128) regardless if I may not have the right amount of on-board GFX
    memory?

    - P.Xex

    Promextheus Xex, Dec 31, 2005
  12. Promextheus Xex

    Jason A Guest

    My usual recommendation for RAM is "more is better." Presuming you're
    running Windows XP, anything up to 2GB should not be a problem. 1GB
    will quite possibly resolve the issue anyway.

    I'd say go to at least 1GB.

    Jason A, Dec 31, 2005
  13. I'm looking into buying 2GB today. Enough to disable the pagefile and speed
    things up for gameplay (I hope).

    - Prometheus Xex

    Promextheus Xex, Dec 31, 2005
  14. Promextheus Xex

    Pluvious Guest

    The hitching is currently not fixable but you can lessen the problem by doing
    some advanced tweaking.

    http://www.tweakguides.com/NFSMW_1.html

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Need for Speed Most Wanted\

    CacheSize

    This setting appears to control the amount of memory NFS:MW allocates for
    caching game-specific information. On my system this value is 3044530176. Since
    8 bits = 1 Byte, 1024 Bytes = 1KB, and 1024KB = 1MB, dividing this number by
    8388608 (1024x1024x8) should give you the amount in MB that the game is using
    for a cache. On my system this appears to be around 362MB (I have 2GB of RAM).
    Raising this value appears to slightly smooth out gameplay performance on my
    system. Experiment with values up to around half your system RAM to see if it
    helps smooth out your framerate.

    g_MotionBlurEnable

    This setting controls the motion blur effect, such as when you trigger Nitrous,
    as well as when you are moving at high speeds. Disabling this setting can make
    the image quality crisper and also improve performance particularly on older
    machines. To disable this setting set the value to 0, to enable it set it to 1.

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Dec 31, 2005
  15. Promextheus Xex

    Mark Guest

    You wrote in thusly:

    [Cut]
    Like 'Jason A' said, "more is better". I currently have 2GB. When you
    get to 3GB and above, Windows or motherboard devices starts to steal and
    dedicate memory for themselves. So for example if you installed 4GB of
    memory and you look in Task Manager, you might see 3.5GB available. It's
    something like that, don't quote me on it, I read it somewhere.
    If asked, I would recommend using Perfect Disk (not free). I tried all
    sorts of different programs and in my experience PD was the hardest
    working one of the lot. Regardless, you do defrag the hard drive, so
    that's not likely to be the problem.
    I don't like Windows managing my pagefile, so I have taken a couple of
    steps to insure that the pagefile is optimal. These include:

    1) Creating a 3.01GB partition on a separate drive on a different
    controller.

    2) Turning off dynamic allocation and setting a static 3GB.

    My pagefile sits on the assigned letter 'P' partition (for Page [1]) of
    a SATA drive that is not associated with the Windows active OS
    partition/drive. They (the OS and Page) are physically on different
    controllers and different drives. The partition is just big enough for
    the 3GB pagefile to exsist without wasting hard drive space. Combined
    with static allocation, the 3GB page file can not fragment in a 3.01GB
    partition and has the ability to work independently of the OS drive.
    This is NOT to be confused with using the same pagefile with different
    OS installations.

    [1] Besides the device letter 'P' for 'P'agefile, I've also assigned the
    device letter 'R' for DVD optical 'R'eader, 'V' for 'V'irtual DVD
    optical reader and 'W' for DVD optical 'W'riter.
    I think it's very likely that the game is eating into your 512MBs of
    physical RAM. If you do upgrade the amount of RAM in your system, other
    things you do with the computer will benefit. So, there is no downside
    to adding more RAM, even if it doesn't help with Need For Speed
    directly.
    I'm not really the best person to answer this. Even if you look up the
    information on Google you'll get slightly different opinions. I can say
    for sure that with my AIW 9800 Pro video card, I have my AGP Aperture
    Size set to 128MB in BIOS. I also have 2GB of memory should all of the
    128MB be needed. So with that in mind, here's a quote from TechpowerUp:

    First of all, AGP Aperture memory will not be used until your video
    card's on-board memory is running low. That means it will usually not
    impact your gaming performance because developers are trying hard to not
    exceed the on-board memory limits.

    The bigger your video memory, the smaller your Aperture Size could be.
    However with later games requiring more and more texture memory a good
    number seems to be 128MB Aperture Size for all cards with 64 MB to 256
    MB Video RAM.

    Setting the Aperture Size to HUGE values will not increase performance
    because this merely sets the maximum amount of physical memory that can
    be used. It only makes the GART Table bigger because every 4K page has
    its own entry, no matter if allocated or not.

    Setting the Aperture Size to too small values could result in running
    out of available texture memory especially on a low-mem video card. It
    is also possible that developers make use of the GART's features by
    creating textures as 'non-local'.
    I would not disable the pagefile. As I mentioned above, set aside a
    small partition and place a static pagefile in there on its own
    controller. Even if you don't have a separate controller, I still
    wouldn't disable the pagefile.

    Mark, Jan 1, 2006
  16. Promextheus Xex

    Jason A Guest

    Don't turn of the swap file. If you turn it off, and manage to require
    something to be swapped out, it's going to give a big hit.

    My swap file is set to custom size, 2046MB-4092MB. Gives Win enough to
    write crash information if it BSODs, and with the amount of space you
    can get on HDs now, doesn't take up a lot of room....

    Jason A.

    Jason A, Jan 1, 2006
  17. I really think it is an issue with the drivers. I have 2GB RAM, 256MB RAM
    ATI X800 XT PE, and dual Western Digital Raptors (10,000 RPM) with pagefile
    on other Raptor that the OS isn't installed on. I am reverting back to 5.11
    drivers and give 6.1 a shot when they are released.

    HockeyTownUSA, Jan 1, 2006
  18. Promextheus Xex

    Mark Guest

    You wrote in thusly:
    I really wouldn't know, I'm still using v5.1. :)

    I haven't notice any problems using v5.1, so I've kept them.

    I hate updating the drivers as I then have to consider updating the MMC.
    All in all it becomes a big PITA.

    Your earlier post suggested that you were going to go back to v5.12 from
    v5.13, now you're going back to v5.11. That's the kind of hassle I
    really hate going through. More power to ya, but when the dust clears,
    let me know how it worked out. Hehe.

    Happy New Year.

    Mark, Jan 1, 2006
  19. I bought a 1GB simm and have a total of 1.5+GB of mem. So far I've
    continued to keep the pagefile off with no problem what so ever but doesn't
    mean I'll be problem free forever. Running game for many hours and overall
    seems to run fine. The odd time I get a hiccup, but way better now.
    Running in 1280x960 to try to get it closer to a wide screen format. I've
    tried the tweak for widescreen, but HDTV doesn't seem to like it very much.
    Why didn't the developers include more resolution settings to choose.... did
    they think no one would need any widescreen settings? The catalyst setting
    are great that they slightly stretch the game to fit full screen on my tv.

    Promextheus Xex, Jan 1, 2006