Need good router: ordered Ispiron 6000 w/ "Intel Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps)"

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. So I ordered an Inspiron with an Intel 2915 a/b/g. I wanted the "a" because
    there is so much 2.4 Ghz sword fighting in my neighborhood (the phone almost
    doesn't work at all) that I figured having 5 Ghz would be worth having, if
    nothing else than to experiment.

    Also, my 2.4 Ghz phone causes the baby monitor to static up loudly, so
    heck---it's worth it just to find out.

    *BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys still is
    the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there something esoteric about
    the Intel wireless signal discipline that makes getting an Intel router a
    good idea?

    *THANKS*

    --
    Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need
    to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 17, 2005

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Tmax60 Guest

    Hi Tom,

    I have an Inspiron 700m with the IntelPRO Wireless a/b/g card and bought a
    Netgear WGU624 router for exactly the same reason you stated. It works
    flawlessly and I think using the 'a' band gives overall better wireless
    performance than the 'g' band. I got the router, brand new, on eBay at a
    substantial savings over other online retailers....

    Tmax60

    Tmax60, Jun 18, 2005

  3. Thomas G. Marshall

    Silverado Guest

    I have a Linksys WRT55AG router tucked in a corner in my upstairs den. I
    have a Dell 5150 with the a/b/g built-in and it works flawlessly. My laptop
    detects the A and G and lets me choose which to use. My wife has a Dell
    600m with the b built-in and it picks up the b signal. I use A. We don't
    have any interference with the wireless phones. There are several b systems
    in my neighborhood too.

    Good Luck,
    Karl

    Silverado, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Tmax60 coughed up:
    This confuses me. That router claims to be B/G outwardly. But if you read
    closely it claims to dual broadcast on both 2.4 and 5Ghz which means A/B/G.
    What gives???

    Does it do this by attempting to use both A and G and just ignoring the G?
    Or do you actually have the ability to tell this thing: "A band only"?

    --
    Unix users who vehemently argue that the "ln" command has its arguments
    reversed do not understand much about the design of the utilities. "ln

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 22, 2005
  5. Thomas G. Marshall

    Dan Guest

    I like the Netgears. I just installed one last week for someone with
    an Inspiron 6000 and it was extremely easy...automatically detected
    the cable modem, instant web access.

    Dan

    Dan, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Thomas G. Marshall

    Pen Guest

    For whatever it's worth, I've used
    Linksys with the Intel and it works
    well, but I had great difficulty with
    the Linksys and WEP, even with other Linksys
    equipment. Using no encryption or WPA, no problems.

    Pen, Jun 24, 2005
  7. Dan coughed up:

    For the record, I went with the WGU624 (netgear). I'll report back with any
    odd discoveries I make with the thing.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 25, 2005
  8. Silverado coughed up:
    Just so you know, I was going to default to this very linksys because you
    recommended it, and because linksys *seems* in the past to be the most
    stable. But I checked on cnet.com and it was filled with horror stories,
    far more so than any other modem.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 25, 2005
  9. For what it's worth, CISCO has a new beginners book out on home
    networking that of course features their subsidiary's, Linksys, routers. It
    is MS Windows oriented.

    Kevin Childers, Jun 25, 2005