    but I dont want to spend more than I need. Thank you for any and all
    help.

    , Feb 8, 2006

  2. Ben Myers Guest

    Without an add-in IDE/ATAPI controller card such as a Promise brand one, the
    PB680 motherboard is limited to 8.4GB in capacity. WITH an add-in card, the
    operating system presents a limitation on hard drive capacity and/or maximum
    partition size.

    I have used, tested and defect-free 8.4GB drives here, as well as 72-pin EDO
    memory to take the system up to 128MB. While you're at it, kick the processor
    speed up to 200MHz. I still have some 200MHz Pentium CPUs here, too. Contact
    me off-line for prices. This stuff is not expensive anymore.

    The nice folks at UK Technical Support have a page with the specifics for the
    680:

    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/680.htm

    .... Ben Myers
    email:

    Ben Myers, Feb 8, 2006

  3. code_wrong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am, by some miracle, still running a PB c115 pentium 120 with a 680
    > motherboard, which is now 9 years old. No major changes other than
    > upping ram from 16 to 48 and scraping all the junk programs off. Have
    > realized the original cmos battery is years overdue for a change;
    > thought I might spring for a new hard drive while I have it open. Is
    > there a hard drive I can buy for her in 2006 that will not need a bios
    > card? What will original bios recognize on a 680 motherboard.
    > This computer has never given me a day of grief in 9 years, runs well,
    > but I dont want to spend more than I need. Thank you for any and all
    > help.

    I had a PB680 .. I installed a second ide hard drive (5GB) as slave about 7
    years ago .. worked fine . I partitioned it into 2GB partitions but I don't
    think that was necessary .. just my preference at the time .. .. I would
    guess any IDE hard drive up to 137GB will works for your system .. and if
    you can't use the whole disk then you can use it in your next system .. 10
    years hence

    code_wrong, Feb 13, 2006