NEED HELP: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe crazy SPDIF-out problem when recording audio

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Robert Holpper, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. hi,

    i use a asus a7n8x board under win xp prof., latest drivers, latest bios
    (1008), latest nvidia audio driver (different tried), etc.

    The phenomenon:
    When I record from an analogue audio source (eg. my USB radio) with any
    sound recording software, the sound which comes from the speaker (connected
    via SPDIF of the asus board) becomes switched off. and ONLY the sound which
    comes from the analogue 3,5mm audio input, NOT e.g. windows system sound.

    that's more than crazy and very magic, because when i record from an
    analogue audio source, i STILL WANT TO HEAR this sound through the SPDIF
    connected speaker.
    at the same time, on the analogue output of this board, the signal is still
    there. but i want, that the signal doesn't stop to become looped through the
    SPDIF output when i start to record.

    anyone here with the same problem, solved?

    regards,
    robs.

    Robert Holpper, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Robert Holpper

    Paul Guest

    If the support is not in the driver, then you don't get the
    function. The hardware is at the mercy of the poorly written
    drivers.

    For information on hardware, the ALC650 CODEC info is here:

    ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/alc650_data5.zip
    Unzip the file and look at "ALC650 Data Sheet_1.28.pdf" page 23.
    Setting MX6A.12 bit to "1" will cause ADC input samples to be
    looped to the SPDIF output.

    Looping paths, such as the path the MX6A.12 bit supports, are
    easy for the driver writer to support. If the looping path
    spans more than one chip, it is not likely that the path will
    be supported.

    Without the source for the driver, it is pretty hard to tell what
    is supported. Computer audio is so poor, that many products have
    no performance specs, for noise/distortion/frequency_response
    etc. Similarly, you cannot get a functional description of how
    the product works, so that everything you try is an experiment.

    It is miraculous that any sound comes from the speaker at all.

    This article, on Intel's Azalia, is typical of motherboard
    computer sound. The drivers barely work and are full of bugs.
    It is no wonder so many users replace the onboard sound with
    a separate sound card.

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040813/index.html

    Normally, I would suggest contacting Asus, but you know
    that the Tech Support people will not be able to answer
    any question about audio :-(

    And Nvidia offers no technical contact information, so you
    cannot ask them either:

    http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Hi Paul,

    thank you very much for your detailed information. aLTHOUGH i#VE DOWNLOADED
    wdm_a362.exe and treid every setting, there is still noch chance to set the
    SPDIF output to active, when I record from the analogue audio input. I'm
    very angry about ASUS and Nvidia, that this very simple function, which has
    to work, doesn't work.

    Best regards,
    Robs.

    Robert Holpper, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Robert Holpper

    sam.vanratt Guest

    Hi Paul and Robert,
    I'm using an A7N8X-X as settopbox and only work with S/P-DIF in and
    out and it works with the mfc driver (mfc is here Realtek) under WinXP
    XP1. I use the standard S/P-DIF koax brackets of my older P4C-800 E
    Deluxe (as I do not need sound at all there) put the prefered output
    to Digital/SPDIF and my Yamaha is doing the rest of my 7ch system.
    Couldn't blame anyone for bad/not functioning audio. If U want I can
    post you my exact driver versions as I store them in a system
    directory with version number.
    Cheers
    Sam

    sam.vanratt, Aug 20, 2004