need help choosing video card

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by kcyates, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. kcyates

    kcyates Guest

    We bought the chronicles of narnia pc game for the kids for christmas,
    and santa brought them a new dell dimension 3000 desktop pc. They were
    so excited but, unfortunately the pc does not have a compatible video
    card! The requirements according to the box are:
    DirectX 9 compatible,
    64MB or TurboCache
    Direct 3D card with vertex shader v1.1 AND pixel shader v1.1 Support
    NVIDIA GeForce3 class or equivalent

    Could someone PLEASE tell me which video cards would work? I went to
    Newegg.com
    and got completely flustered! I am not real computer literate
    (obviously) so alot of the info
    that sites list for the video cards mean nothing to me....its like a
    foreign language. I have
    seen a few posts here and there where people mentioned they had to buy
    a new video card to play this game, but none of them said WHICH card
    they bought.
    If any of you smart computer people know exactly which card I need,
    could you please, please tell me?!
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you in advance!

    frustrated mom in VA :eek:)

    kcyates, Dec 29, 2005

  2. Unfortunately the system you've got there is not a very good one for
    games. The onboard video is Intel Extreme Graphics 2 which won't work
    for many more demanding games. And the machine doesn't have an AGP slot,
    which means an upgraded video card needs to be PCI (not PCI Express),
    the selection of which is fairly limited. The fastest you could likely
    stick in there would likely be a GeForce FX5500 or something, which
    would probably meet those requirements on that game at least..

    Robert Hancock, Dec 29, 2005

  3. Well, not a good choice. Dell makes good computers but the Dimension
    3000 you bought only has a very slow on-board gfx that uses system
    memory (shared memory) and also lacks proper expansion slots (AGP or
    PEG). I really wonder why you bought the old Dimension 3000, especially
    since the newer and much better Dimension B110 is also very inexpensive
    and would have come with intel GMA900 gfx which is way faster than the
    intel Extreme 2 in your 3000 and also supports DirectX 9...
    Well, the best would be to return the Dimension 3000 and get something
    better (i.e. the Dimension B110 which starts at 299$, check www.dell.com)...

    If that's not possible then the only thing you can do is to get a PCI
    (not PCI Express!) gfx card. There are some Geforce FX 5200 cards which
    go for ~40-60$. PCI is slow, but such a card probably would be enough
    for your game...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 29, 2005
  4. kcyates

    Bill Guest

    http://www.3dfuzion.com/cards_6200_pci_128.asp

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 29, 2005
  5. kcyates

    Peter Guest

    If you get geforce fx 5500 with 256mb memory you be good if you can install
    it. I had a 5500 and it played every game out their on low settings or
    defaults

    Peter, Dec 29, 2005
  6. I second this. Though $40-$60 sounds like a very inexpensive upgrade,
    swapping the PC if possible would be a much better investment, especially if
    you'll be buying other games for the kids in the future, which they are
    likely to ask for no doubt.

    Midnight Moocher, Dec 29, 2005
  7. If I had a motherboard with no AGP or PCI-Express slot then I'd, without
    hesitation, go for the (BFG??) 3D Fuzion Geforce 6200 PCI that Bill located.
    [Good find, Bill! Never knew there was a 6200 PCI version.] It is certain
    to be the fastest PCI card out there. If that one is too difficult to get
    hold of, I'd peruse http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445 which is
    The Ultimate PCI Card Roundup The article is two years old, so it doesn't
    include the 6200, but will give you an idea of the next best PCI card.
    Whatever one you choose, just be sure it has 128-bit memory or better. The
    ones with 64-bit memory are garbage.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Dec 30, 2005
  8. The Black Wibble, Dec 30, 2005
  9. kcyates

    Bill Guest

    http://www.c-source.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=3DFR6200&src=PG&id=n

    http://store.digital-orange.com/dh3dfr6200.html

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AQKWFW/ref=nosim/104-8843337-
    3029569?n=172282

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143038&ATT=14-
    143-038&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

    I'd say there's a few around.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 30, 2005
  10. kcyates

    Mangyrat Guest

    if you just have to get a card to make the kids happy then hit newegg and
    grab a pci 5700le card it will run most games just fine or good luck on
    finding a 6200 pci card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139166

    of if your really rushed just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a fx5500 pci card
    they are almost always in stock.
    the net will show them as out of stock but I see them all the time in the
    store back where the TV's and computer junk are.

    in a years or so when its time to replace that computer please ask on the
    net before buying if your not shur about it playing games. same with laptops
    every one says they will not be playing games with it but give it a month or
    so and they will be installing some kind of game and then wish they had
    gotten a better video card or more ram and all that.

    if a computer is really cheap their is a reason its really cheap

    Mangyrat, Dec 30, 2005
  11. kcyates

    Mangyrat Guest

    hey bill please dont confuse him buy listing links to AGP card's he only has
    cpi slots in that computer.

    Mangyrat, Dec 30, 2005
  12. kcyates

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Dec 30, 2005
  13. The Black Wibble, Dec 30, 2005
  14. kcyates

    Bill Guest

    Bah. Mea Culpa. Started the NYE celebrating early. Now let's see how I
    can screw up tomorrow.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 30, 2005
  15. kcyates

    Bill Guest

    Yup, just shoot me now. They're supposed to be carried at Best Buy,
    and CompUSA besides Chumbo. Either they're so knew they haven't reached
    the retailers or got sold out over Christmas.

    I see there is several of the FX5500 PCIs around. It would be an
    improvement, but I'd try to find the 3D Fuzion 6200 PCI first.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 30, 2005
  16. kcyates

    ragav.payne Guest

    I can see ur frustration but u've landed in the right place.
    The graphics cards configurations r like day n' night, they keep on
    changing
    frequently. If ur kids need to play the latest games with full eye
    candy turned on, you can go for the Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 Ultra.
    Geforce 3series have already gone under the dump so no use of buying
    them. if u need more info jus' go to www.Nvidia.com or send an email to
    me at

    ragav.payne, Dec 31, 2005