Need Help Finding a Laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Edmund, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Edmund

    Edmund Guest

    Hey,

    I have been reading the group and it has been helpful... but I still
    have not found a laptop for myself. Here is what I
    need in order of importance.

    1) Good keyboard. (I intend to type a lot.)
    2) Decent battery life (I might be willing to get 2 batteries also.)
    3) Relatively inexpensive.
    4) Relatively reliable and not prone to breakdowns.
    5) Overseas technical support.
    6) Could play Counterstrike or Quake III on it (meaning adequate
    graphics card)

    I'm actually considering a celeron because it could save me money.
    Aren't mobile celerons a little slow? Centrino looks darn tasty, but
    would I need a centrino for my requirements?

    Thanks,
    Matt

    Edmund, Jan 18, 2004

  2. To fit points 1-5, you definetely need an IBM - there's no other laptop with
    the same combination of good keyboard and battery life... Go for a bottom
    of the range T40 - They are not bady priced, considering they come with a
    three year warranty for parts and labour. Also, you could consider the R50
    series. Or the A series, though they're being phased out, and are still
    oddly expensive, but apparently exceptional build quality.

    However, you're only going to get a 32MB Vcard at the moment at that price.
    The IBMs with larger graphics cards are VASTLY more expensive.

    Go for centrino - the difference affects all aspects of the laptop -
    size/shape/battery life/noise/fan/longevity/weight etc. etc. etc.

    Duncan.

    Duncan James Murray, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Edmund

    John Guest