    What I need is a program or how to get my hard drive copied to a new hard
    drive? I bought a new drive for my laptop and cannot get the software off
    the new one can you's Please help? Thanks Dave

    68XLGT, Nov 2, 2003

  2. 68XLGT

    andre Guest

    Norton ghost 6.0 for one
    easy to use if you have win98

    andre, Nov 2, 2003

  3. 68XLGT

    yirm Guest

    Or PowerQuest DriveCopy (or DriveImage if you have more advanced imaging
    needs). I've been using DriveImage since version 2, and it's great. Except
    I can't stand the latest version (7). Fortunately, it comes with Drive
    Image 2002 (v6) in the box as well. It's a lot more feature rich than
    Ghost, though Ghost could be a good deal if you get as part of Systemworks
    Pro.

    -Jeremy

    yirm, Nov 2, 2003
  4. 68XLGT

    tc Guest

    But DI 2002 wont image to a dvd-r/ rw. I understand DI 7 will but only works
    with XP.
    Terry

    tc, Nov 2, 2003
  5. Use Ranish Partition Manager. Its free. Its not for the novice user
    though. You can copy a partition to another drive, or even a drive to
    another drive. Use Google and search for it.

    Mike McWhinney

    Mike McWhinney, Nov 2, 2003
  6. The nice thing about v7, if you're using Windows 2000 or XP, is that
    it doesn't have to leave the Windows environment in order to work.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Nov 2, 2003
  7. 68XLGT

    68XLGT Guest

    Thank you all for you input here another happy camper LOL..

    68XLGT, Nov 2, 2003
  8. Use PowerQuest Drive Image. Two ways to do this:

    -Connect both drives to a desktop as the 2nd & 3rd drives using two
    adapters, and use Drive Image's "disk-to-disk" copy

    or

    -Connect the old drive, make an image file (saved on the desktop's
    drive), disconnect it, connect the new drive, and restore the image to
    the new drive.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 2, 2003
  9. So image to two 2.1 gig files, or 6 or 7 files of 650 meg each, then
    burn them to a DVD-R/RW.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 2, 2003
  10. 68XLGT

    MAG Guest

    Guys-

    I also HATE version 7; I stick with version 6 ("2002"). I don't know
    why they made some of the changes. I'll admit I haven't spent too much
    time with it yet, but it seems that making recovery disks is harder.
    With DI2002, I just make my CD's bootable with DOS from Win98, plus the
    DOS version of DI 2002. Version 7 seemed to eliminate my ability to do
    this, requiring their special disaster disk. Maybe I misunderstood
    something.

    Marc

    MAG, Nov 2, 2003
  11. Their "special disaster disk" is nothing more than the installation disk,
    itself. You use this as a "boot disk."

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Nov 2, 2003
  12. I am planning to copy the internal HD of a laptop out to a new
    bigger HD connected via USB Box.
    Later I will remove the internal HD and install the bigger one.
    Will DI 7 do the work under XP ?

    Walter PAVESI, Nov 2, 2003
  13. 68XLGT

    rolphe Guest

    I have norton ghost 2003 working with PC HD > HD but with the
    laptop HD I have problems.

    I connected my laptop HD with a 2.5 > 3.5 converter to my IDE cable
    but the pc does not seems to see the HD.
    I tried the pc HD in master or slave.

    What do I do to clone this HD ??

    Grx Rolphe

    rolphe, Nov 2, 2003
  14. 68XLGT

    yirm Guest

    I emailed PQ tech support a question -- how to make a boot CD for Drive
    Image 6, since my laptop doesn't have a floppy for the recovery disks you
    can create. The tech wasn't able to help. (He said you could boot from the
    DI6 CD, but mine was downloadable.) Fortunately, I figured out, myself, that
    there is a a file, default.vfd in the C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\Drive
    Image 2002\VFD (by default) directory. You can use a CD creating program to
    burn this "WinImage" to CD using Floppy 2.88 MB format. So that overcomes
    my one complaint about DI6.

    But the reason I'm posting is because in my email, I complained in passing
    about how disappointed I was in DI7. The tech asked me why. Here's my
    response:

    ----

    Well, first of all, the process of restoring a system partition (backing up
    and restoring system partition is my primary use) is incredibly slow. It
    takes forever to just boot the recovery environment.

    Second, I have not been able to get the network to work. It recognizes my
    broadcom wireless adapter as a dell truemobile (which should actually work,
    cuz it's the same thing). But there are no settings for wireless that I can
    find. It doesn't recognize the broadcom ethernet adapter.

    Third, the v2i protector service periodically fails. What do I need this
    for anyway? I just want to back up and restore images. Never had problems
    with previous versions -- why an NT service to add overhead?

    Fourth, I'm having problems with programs that require challenge response
    activation over the Net. Sometimes I have to re-activate after restoring,
    sometimes not. Not sure whether this is program specific, or whether it has
    to do with the advanced options (MBR, original disk id, set drive active).
    And frankly, I don't want to have to figure it out. I just want it to work.

    Fifth, sometimes my system partition restores fail. Windows starts to boot,
    but then I get a stop error. Again, not sure whether this is the advanced
    options or what.

    Sixth, the Powerquest Recovery environment is now failing to load entirely.
    It will go through the white progress meter on the black screen. Then it
    will say "please wait." I wait, eventually the CD Drive spins down and I
    get a stop error.

    If it were just one problem, that would be one thing. But by now I have
    devoted literally hours to try to troubleshoot these issues. It's just not
    worth it to devote more time to DI7 when DI6 did the job I needed just fine.
    I'd ask for my money back if I thought I had a prayer. For my purposes
    anyway, a good program has become unusable bloatware.

    But thanks for asking. :)

    yirm, Nov 3, 2003
  15. 68XLGT

    yirm Guest

    Yeah. It should. DI7 should let you copy a system partition to a USB drive
    its PowerQuest Recovery Environment (CD boot).

    -Jeremy

    yirm, Nov 3, 2003
  16. FWIW, I also had many problems moving to a new hard drive using Drive
    Image - it took about 8 tries over the course of a week to finally get
    past the gotchas.

    Richard Grossman, Nov 4, 2003
  17. 68XLGT

    yirm Guest

    If only things were as easy as they say on the box.

    -jf

    yirm, Nov 4, 2003
  18. Here is my experiences and Errors as suggestion hot to procede

    I have DI7 and Partition Magic 7.
    Try to copy HD15MB in Laptop Sony Vaio with 4 Partitions C D E F
    - CD is G
    Installed HD 40 MB in USB Box Partitioned H (active) and I Logic

    ERROR - Copy drive C to I - Removed HD internal and installed
    the new 40MB - Reboot wit DI7 CD was not able to move drive C
    from I or to make it active.

    No way to use DOS Floppy to make anything.

    Reinstalled the original HD
    Reformatted HD 40MB in its USB Box and partitioned wit PM as H
    Active and I logic.
    Backed up (not copyed !!!) C on to I - Succesfull
    Did the same with D - E - F .... errors.

    Again change position of the 2 HD. With new 40MB in the PC
    booted from DI7 CD. Inside the PQ environment Restored the image
    of drive C: from partition I into first active partition of the
    new disk.

    Everithing worked ok and I could start the PC from the new drive.
    On C I have OS Win XP - Partiton Magic - DI an few other utility.
    I reduced the dimensions of I creating drive D E F.
    Tried to REstore the images of this 3 Drives from I ..
    impossible. Image demaged as suspected because the BU was not
    successfull.
    No problem. Connected the old HD in USB Box and copied the
    drives to the new HD with LL.
    I have all programs in Drive E and Data in Drive D.
    F is for Archiv.

    Now everithing looks OK but I have lost the Internet setup
    connections. Renstalled without problem.

    Sure it was long (USB outbox is slow) but worked.

    Walter PAVESI, Nov 7, 2003
  19. The most important thing I learned about Drive Image is to take the time
    to run a *complete* disk error check on all partitions on your existing
    drive and on your new drive before transferring the image to the new drive.

    Richard Grossman, Nov 11, 2003