Need Help for Multi-Drive Computer Case Enclosure Setup

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Carlos / anifan115, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I need advice for building a case to hold all my IDE drives. I have
    about 12 hard drives in external enclosures. To make space and save
    power outlets I think it would be better to buy a computer case
    dedicated to hold and store the hard drives. I will put about 7 hard
    drives inside the case to start off... The supplies I would use are:

    A computer case like this one (Rosewill R-9859 Black SGCC Steel ATX Mid
    Tower Computer Case PL-300 Power Power Supply - Retail):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811147027
    and install 3-4 additional 80 mm for HD cooling.

    I would connect the two cables on the power supply mobo connector so it
    will power the drives without needing a motherboard to give it the an
    on signal. My friend says he knows how to set this part up (any advise
    on doing this would help).

    I would use a molex splitter (Converts one 4-pin Molex power connector
    into four
    http://www.microbarn.com/Power_Adapters_ADA-POWYX2--18-161-100881.html
    ) in order to have enough molex connections from the power supply for
    all the hard drives and some fans.

    For the IDE interface I would use seven of these USB 2.0 to IDE
    adapters.
    http://www.microbarn.com/ADA-UIDE--18-162-101149.html
    I would connect the adapters to one USB 2.0 hub that will connect to my
    computer.

    With this procedure, I free up seven power outlets and turn them into
    only one for the power supply. Additionally, I will only need to
    connect one usb 2.0 port in order to have access to all seven drives.
    And I will be able to carry all seven drives to someone elses house
    with ease.

    My concerns:
    Will using the 300W power supply only for the hard drives via the molex
    connectors push too much power to the drives causing damage to the
    drives? Do I need a power supply with less watts or will it not matter?
    Does anyone else think this can work? Is there anything I overlooked?

    Any advise or corrections would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Carlos

    Carlos / anifan115, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Carlos / anifan115

    Arno Wagner Guest

    The potential damage is not to the drives. As long as they get the
    right voltages, the drives decide how much power to draw. Basic
    laws of electicity.

    As to whether the PSU is large enough, that depends. If these
    are newer, standard 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm drives, then about 25W
    per drive should be enough power (they draw much more during
    start-up than during normal operation). 25W * 7 = 175W. The
    adapters and the USB hub should not matter. From the photograph
    of the PSU label, I would say the PSU has both enough power and
    anough current rating on the relevant lines (+5V and +12V).

    Fro the USB-Hub, you should make that it can power the adapters
    (i.e. it needs to be a powerd USB hub) and for easy combination
    that you can also power it from the PC PSU.

    You will in addition need to modify the on/off switch of the
    PSY, since ATX PSUs are controlled by the mainboard and you
    do not have one in there. For that you need to replace the
    power switch in the case with a swithc with two stable positions
    and use that to shorten out the power_on line towards ground
    to activate the PSU. See any description of the ATX mainboard
    connector on where to find these lines.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Carlos / anifan115

    Jeremy Boden Guest

    Your concerns are wrong.
    Performance (if it performs at all) will be awful.
    For multiple drives think SCSI - it can access the disks in parallel,
    not serially. There are other advantages...

    Jeremy Boden, Apr 14, 2006
  4. I will probably have two power cables. One for the hub one for the psu.

    Thanks for the advice!

    Carlos / anifan115, Apr 14, 2006
  5. IDE is fine for my needs, thanks.

    Carlos / anifan115, Apr 14, 2006
  6. Carlos / anifan115

    Arno Wagner Guest

    SCSI is cannot access drives in parallel. The bus is paralell, but
    that does not offer a sped advantage. However the basic SCSI bus speed
    is faster than that of USB, so you get more combines speed. And
    if the OP only uses one of his disks at a time, the sped will jsut be
    the same as if there was just one USB disk.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Carlos / anifan115

    Jeremy Boden Guest

    SCSI is cannot access drives in parallel. The bus is paralell, but
    that does not offer a sped advantage. However the basic SCSI bus speed
    is faster than that of USB, so you get more combines speed. And
    if the OP only uses one of his disks at a time, the sped will jsut be
    the same as if there was just one USB disk.
    [/QUOTE]
    What is the point in having 12 disks when you could have one big one, if
    you only access one disk at a time?
    With SCSI:-
    1) You can queue commands so you could send a series of requests for
    data which will be serviced as data becomes available. This offers a
    speed advantage.
    2) Random access times are typically much better (faster/better drives).
    3) There is virtually no load on the CPU, unlike the situation with IDE.

    Jeremy Boden, Apr 15, 2006
  8. Carlos / anifan115

    Joer1956

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Multidrive enclosure question.

    Hello,

    I read your email about the drive enclosure you were building and I am wondering if you completed it and how it works. Reason, is I have been needing to do the same thing.

    Please email me your answer

    Thanks.

    Joer1956, Nov 25, 2006