Need help: HP9854B screen shows only an chess board.

Discussion in 'HP' started by Juergen Sievers, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I could get an defect HP9854B for my little private collection.
    The system looks very proper and I'm full of hope to get it back to
    running state.

    But for that I need some help from HP Expert which knows this system
    hopefully as an senior HP technician.

    I have nothing about this system, no manuals; no service books an no
    knowledge about this system. So everything would be miraculous to get.

    The system shows an enigmatic screen if powered up. I made a picture
    which could be seen here (http://www.nadhh.hanse.de/10subm_Computer/
    05subm_Hewlett-Packard/10subm_HP9854B/Images/defectscreendump.jpg).
    The screen (the active area) is filled up with small black and white
    blocks. Periodically the screen collapses or changes and it seem there
    is something like the system's prompt line is shown for some
    milliseconds.

    Would be kindly to give some indications to me where I can look for
    that error. Schematics and other diagrams I could already get from
    here (http://www.hpmuseum.net/collection_document.php).

    Regards
    Juergen

    Juergen Sievers, Feb 20, 2007

  2. Juergen Sievers, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Hi Juergen,

    This pattern looks like a RAM problem.
    Locate the RAM chips, unplug them (if possible), clean the pins,
    then re-insert them again.
    HP equipment often have a selftest mode, check out for a dip switch.
    Maybe it is only a bad power supply, so you should check out that too.

    HTH
    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Mahringer, Feb 20, 2007