    will a recovery cd bring my computer back to its old os?
    or do i need to clean install from a win xp cd?
    if so where can i get a copy of windows xp with tablet pc features on it?

    beavis(\_/)89, Nov 24, 2006

  2. beavis(\_/)89

    Chris H. Guest

    Contact the manufacturer. For a small processing fee, they should be able
    to supply you with the machine's recovery media. The Tablet PC edition is
    not available retail.

    Chris H., Nov 24, 2006

  3. will the recovery work even though i have no recovey partition?

    beavis(\_/)89, Nov 24, 2006
  4. beavis(\_/)89

    Chris H. Guest

    If the manufacturer will furnish you with recovery media, i.e., CDs or DVD,
    then you use that to restore the machine to the original state when you
    first purchased it. That is what "recovery media" does - puts the system
    back in the condition when it was first sold.

    Chris H., Nov 24, 2006
  5. beavis(\_/)89

    Peter R Cook Guest

    Depends on the recovery CD.

    My Tatung doesn't have a recovery partition. The recovery CD for has
    everything I need on it - in fact it seems to be simply a customised
    Tablet XP installation CD with the appropriate OEM drivers included.
    This will actually do a repair installation.

    Recovery CD's I have for an old Compaq laptop contain an image of the
    original factory installed C drive. Recovery doesn't need a partition,
    but zaps the whole disk while re-installing the factory image.

    Some recovery CD's may need a recovery partition - because that is where
    they keep the image, and the CD is to boot the recovery software. This
    model seems ridiculous to me, as the most likely reason for NEEDING to
    do a re-install would be a dead hard drive.

    Without knowing which recovery model your manufacturer has chosen its
    hard to answer the question.

    These days I normally image the disk (with an Acronis boot CD) of any
    new laptop before doing anything to it - even allowing it to boot.

    Regards

    Peter R Cook, Nov 24, 2006
  6. beavis(\_/)89

    Sven Guest

    A recovery partition is normally a 'hidden' place where recovery media is
    stored. Typically you can hit some key during boot, or use an included
    utility to launch recovery from there.

    Most PCs these days also have a utility to create recovery CD/DVDs, in case
    your recovery partition is unavailable, which can occur if the drive dies,
    or you replace it with a new (larger) one. This should normally be
    investigated and taken advantage of soon after you get a new PC. This
    user-created recovery media often restores the full system to factory
    specs...including creating and populating a recovery partition.

    Of course, if you didn't get recovery media, or make them, and don't have a
    recovery partition, the only real option is to go back the the manufacturer.

    You mention you need to switch back from Vista. I gather that is from the
    Beta version? Are you expecting, or have access to, an RTM version? If so
    you might go with that as the Tablet functionality is there, unlike XP
    needing a special version. Then you may only need some device specific
    drivers from the manufacturer's site.

    Sven, Nov 24, 2006
  7. Peter R Cook shared these words of wisdom:
    If a manufucturer chooses this model, there normally is a feature for
    creating Recovery CDs/DVD form the partition.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Nov 24, 2006
  8. there is a feature for creating the drivers and contents of the recovery
    drive and i have made a disc using this feature.
    i will attempt to use the recovery disc and in case the recovery partition
    contained
    any drivers i will later install them using the driver and apps backup i
    created myself .
    unless you guys have other suggestions.

    thanks for the help

    beavis(\_/)89, Nov 24, 2006