Need Help Replacing ASUS A7v266e ASAP

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Pharoah, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Pharoah

    Pharoah Guest

    Greetings:

    Here is my config:

    Asus A7v266e
    Athlon XP1800
    1 Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR (2x512)
    WD 120GB ("C" Drive)
    Seagate 40GBn ("D" Drive)
    MSI TI4200 128mb Graphics Card
    Yamaha 48X CDRW ("E" Drive)
    Creative Audigy Platinum Internal
    Digital Doc 5
    3.5" Floppy
    Time Warner Cable connected to Linksys BEFsx41 Router/Firewall
    WinXP Home on "D" and Pro on "C"
    Lian Li PC60 Aluminum Case

    Here is the situiation:

    I built this machine 2 years ago and all was working fine. Recently I have
    had the following problems...

    1) Cooling fan on the MSI video card has bad bearings and whines. I'd like
    to replace the fan as it is cheaper than buying a new card.

    2) Cooling fan on the Via KT266A North Bridge has stopped working.

    3) Prior to having the 1Gig Crucial PC2700 DDR (2x512mb), I had only 512mb
    of Crucial PC2100 DDR (2x256mb) and one stick failed leaving me with only
    256mb working. I know this because the system crashed last week (it never
    did before) and when I rebooted I got the dreaded continuos beep of no/bad
    memory. I pulled out each stick until I found the bad one and left the other
    in. When I replaced the memory the board was dead. I might have been static
    charged. I tried putting the old 256mb back in, but no luck. I have power,
    but no post.

    4) I want to get a new mobo as I have tested the new ram in another machine
    as well as the old and both are fine. To replace my A7v266e, it would only
    be about $35-$40 plus shipping, but are there other new boards that would
    work better with this setup? Do they have faster fsb or better bios options?
    I do not need onboard sound since I have the Audigy card, but it would be
    nice to have it and disable it. Could I disable it through the bios or would
    I have to change a jumper.

    I would prefer a board that is above all reliable, has a bios with a soft
    menu to make all adjustments and advanced enough to handle me getting a new
    cpu in the near future. I might even consider getting SATA drives. Do any
    boards support both IDE and SATA?

    I need help ASAP. The machine is down and I hate using my kids machine to do
    any work.

    Please post serious only replies. Thanks in advance.

    Pharoah

    Pharoah, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Pharoah

    slower Guest

    I have the same video card , but i like the msi boards also. Bios is
    easier to manipulate and msi videocard with msi mainboard only made
    since. I recommend any of the top nd boards but the one that I am
    using now are the k7t266pro2,

    slower, Feb 14, 2004