    doing this on OS X.

    Must I create additional users accounts for network access?

    Any help or pointers to tutorial is greatly appreciated.

    Stu K, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Well -- someone on the OS8 or OS9 system cannot access anything on the
    OSX system without an account there. You can set up 'guest' with next
    to no privileges for this sort of sharing.

    If you need to limit it to a few users, they have to have their own
    accounts on the OSX system. Then you can put them all in a group and
    give only that group access to whatever folders. mumblemumble... I
    don't see any GUI/Prefs pane to set groups.

    Someone who's hacked more than I have knows where the group membership
    file is. I couldn't find it in 10 minutes via Terminal-- it's not in
    the obvious Un*x locations.

    Carl Witthoft, Nov 18, 2004

  3. I've never used it myself, but you might want to have a look at a
    program called SharePoints.

    http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

    "SharePoints is an application or a preference pane that makes it easy
    to add and delete share points like in the old Finder. In Mac OS X, by
    default, you are limited to sharing only what is in your public folder
    in your home directory. This program makes it easy to share any folder.
    In addition SharePoints also brings back users and groups management to
    Mac OS X as well as easy configuration of AppleFileServer (AFS) and
    Samba (SMB) Server properties."

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Stu K

    Steve Guest

    I put files and folders in my OS 10's Public folder, and turn on personal
    file sharing in the Sharing Preferences.

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Stu K

    Cindy Murray Guest

    You know, this is one of the things I have really *HATE* about OS X. We
    have a small LAN, and I had all the computers set up so that every
    member of the family can access every folder on every computer by
    creating a Group in OS 8/9. Then everyone could log in with their own
    name and do whatever they needed. I don't want to have to move my files
    to another folder -- I like them where they are! I should be able to
    allow access to whatever folders I choose -- it's MY computer, right?
    As it is, in order for the whole family to access each other's
    computers, we have to log in as the computer's owner (complete with
    passwords) -- which I don't like any better.

    Cindy Murray, Nov 20, 2004