    will work on my 98SE computer.

    Or is there a way that I can get my computer to accept a Lexmark
    driver, since this printer was made by them.

    Hal, Nov 25, 2005

  2. Hal

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'd be surprised if the A920 has drivers specifically designed for Win98 or
    98SE. I suppose you have tried installing the A920 software/drive CD on the
    old system *first* before ever plugging the USB connect to the computer
    itself. ?

    If the A920 software has a WindowsME driver option, you might try that, but
    remember that you're attempting to couple relatively new (USB) technology
    with an OS that Microsoft doesn't even support anymore.

    Additionally, Win98 USB support was flaky/bad even at its best back
    then......

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 25, 2005

  3. if the two computers are networked then you could possibly connect the
    printer directly to the xp machine and then share it across the network...
    then try installing lexmarks windows 98 driver for the lexmark calls the
    x1185 and change the printer port to refer to the network location...
    however, i suspect it is hopeless.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 25, 2005
  4. Hal

    Hal Guest

    As soon as I put in the Dell Drivers CD I get a message that the
    Operating System is not supported. But that is not always an obstacle.

    I installed something else by going directly to its directory and not
    using the main startup program on the CD, but in this case that did
    not work.

    The interesting thing is that the driver files seem to have the same
    type of names as for the Lexmark printers.

    So I believe that there must be a way to get this thing to work.

    Hal, Nov 25, 2005
  5. Hal

    Hal Guest

    I think I might not be doing your idea right.

    I downloaded a 98SE driver for the x1100 series which states covers
    x1100 to x1185, but the installations stops because it reports that
    the printer is not connected. But when I start up my 98SE computer,
    the New Hardware Wizard comes on and reports DELL A920 PRINTER so it
    is connected, but still can't get the Lexmark 98SE drivers to install.

    Second, I tried setting it up so that it will use the A920 as a
    network printer connected to my Dell Dimension 8300 computer running
    XP. But Windows 98SE asks me to install the driver for the printer
    even though the printer will be on the XP computer.

    So round and round I go :-(

    Hal, Nov 25, 2005
  6. Hal

    Hal Guest

    I think I figured out why the Lexmark x1185 driver installation
    program insists that a printer in not connected.

    I believe it is looking for a Lexmark printer, and the printer is
    reporting that it is a Dell A920, although it was make by Lexmark.

    Would you know of a way around this problem?

    Hal, Nov 25, 2005
  7. Hal

    Tom Scales Guest

    Honestly, I think you are stuck. Putting it on the XP machine doesn't help,
    as 98 still needs 98 drivers. Unfortunately, 98 is so old that Dell didn't
    bother with drivers for the A920.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 25, 2005
  8. Hal

    Ben Myers Guest

    You might try the Windows 98 drivers for an older Lexmark printer, especially
    one that works through a parallel port and does not have any sort of fancy
    program to monitor the status of the printer. Install the drivers, do not print
    a test page, then manually associate the drivers with the printer networked on
    your XP computer. This is all speculation on my part, although I have had
    success doing this sort of thing with HP inkjets.

    I suspect that Lexmark is like HP. They've developed printer drivers by
    deriving them from earlier printer drivers, and the printer firmware and printer
    control commands are likewise derived from earlier models.

    Give it a try. At this point there is not much to lose... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 25, 2005
  9. Hal

    Steve Guest

    Hal,

    You need a driver for the A920 printer on Win98se right? Sorry, the
    Dell A920 printer does not work with Win98se. Upgrade the OS or copy
    files from the 98 box to the XP box. If you dont beleive me go to
    support.dell.com, Select the product model for your printer and select
    find downloads and change the OS (only XP and 2000 are compatible)

    Steve, Nov 28, 2005