    explain how to properly remove this PCI card so I can again have an
    operating computer, using the connection on the motherboard?

    JR the postman

    Postman Delivers, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Postman Delivers

    mdp Guest

    Suggest using the drive manufacturer's diagnostic SW to boot from a floppy
    and test the drive. The following info excerpted from a previous post:

    Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:
    OnTrack Data Advisor:

    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

    IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:

    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

    Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:

    http://support.wdc.com/download/

    Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:

    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

    Seagate SeaTools:

    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

    Download:

    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html

    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html

    mdp, Jan 9, 2006

  3. mdp laid this down on his screen :
    mdp,

    Thanks for the rapid responce, however the drives are fine. They can
    be read in several computers.

    This is the first time I have had the pleasure of working with a card
    that will allow 4 hard drives in a win98, and then win2k computer. It
    was super to be able to move files around at internal operating speeds.

    I was able to organize the files on several drives with this card. Now
    I can not change the hard drive in the boot portion of the bios. I can
    reinstall the Promise card and get an error that I have not loaded the
    cards bios, but what I want to do is remove the promise card and use
    the connectors on the motherboard.

    Using the system configuration jumper block, J7B1 on the motherboard, I
    can still not find a method to configure the bios to use the
    motherboard connection rather than the promise card.

    I also tried installing win2k on a newly formated hard drive. No luck
    with the connection on the motherboard, however reinstalling the
    promise card I was able to install, but the operating system it will
    not boot, no bios loaded for the card...

    Have a win98, and a win2k drive that worked several days ago with the
    promise card, but will no longer boot with the card installed.

    JR

    Postman Delivers, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Postman Delivers

    mdp Guest

    I'm a little confused. Is your operating system on a drive that's on the
    Promise card?

    This may be unrelated but I've used many Promise IDE cards and sometimes I
    was unable to get the system to boot if I moved the drive from the Promise
    card to the MB or vice versa. The way I fixed it was to boot to DOS from a
    floppy then execute sys c: with the drive where I wanted it (either on the
    Promise or MB). It would boot after that. Must have something to do with
    how it maps command.com.

    mdp, Jan 10, 2006
  5. After serious thinking mdp wrote :
    Yes, all drives were on the promise card, with the exception of the the
    CD RW & DVD RW... Will try the sys procedure thanks... This one has
    me stumped. Lots if info avaiable for installing a promise card, but
    can not locate any information on removing one. Since I believe this
    card is failing, and would only allow the computer to boot
    occasionally.

    JR the postman

    Postman Delivers, Jan 10, 2006
  6. Postman Delivers

    dannysdailys Guest

    Postman Deliverswrote
    mdp laid this down on his screen
    Thanks for the rapid response, however the drives are fine. They ca

[...]

    JR[/quote:451afa9feb

    OK, I didn't read the entire lists of posts. I have many years o
    experience with RAID cards, but not Promise in particular

    Still, my experience with bios is just pull the card, take the boo
    drive, set it as a Master, plug it into the number one IDE socket an
    away we go. It should work

    1. Are you sure you're in the number 1 Socket, and the ROM driv
    isn't? It won't work if it is. When I use a controller card,
    usually use shortie cables for both ROM drives and use both the ID
    sockets. They have to be on anyway. It's easy to screw that up whe
    you're putting it back. It could have been just a blonde moment
    check it

    2. Are you sure you're setting your jumpers to Master, with a slave
    if you're hooking up two drives? Western Digitals have this jumpe
    setting. It won't work if you don't. Perhaps another blonde moment
    check that too

    With the card gone, the bios should still follow it's boot order.
    Drive 0 is now on an internal IDE channel instead of the Promis
    card. It doesn't matter to the system bios where drive 0 is, as lon
    as it's there

    I've swapped them in and out for years and have never had a problem.

    Except the last time, that's when I had a blonde moment. Today, I us
    DuaL RAID 1 serial drives on a onboard sil chip. Much easier..

    Maybe I don't understand the question

    If all the above is true, you may have lost your master boot recor
    when the card died. Booting to a DOS floppy, and typing fdisk.ex
    /mbr will rewrite your boot record and it will boot then. I don'
    know if you know what I'm talking about. I do hope so, you need t
    have a working knowledge of DOS if you run RAID cards, or RAID sets

    Buy a Sil next time. http://www.siliconimage.com

    Best of luck to y

    dannysdailys, Jan 10, 2006
  7. Postman Delivers

    pengulin Guest

    I'm confused - you couldn't boot with the HD connected to the primary on the
    motherboard either? Is this correct? If so have you gone into the CMOS setup
    program to establish that the primary on the motherboard is enabled? It's
    possible the motherboard's primary controller was disabled at the factory to
    avoid conflicts with the promise card.

    Second point, and maybe I'm leaping here. You mentioned that the problem
    started after removing "the secondary hard drive" which, if I understand the
    context in which you brought this up, may have actually been a slave drive
    on the same cable, rather than a HD on the secondary controller. If this is
    the case, after removing the other drive, you should have jumpered the
    remaining drive as a "single" drive, rather than a master. Depending on the
    brand and type of controller, failure to do so could yield in flaky behavior
    and/or non-recognition.

    pengulin, Jan 13, 2006
  8. pengulin formulated the question :
    I did change the settings, after removing the slave drive...

    I have not been able to find a way to use the motherboard connector,
    for the hard drive. The computer shipped with the card, and if it had
    been disabled, there should be a method to have it reconised.. But
    currently it is one that has me wondering. A bit tall for a large
    paperweight, and it is to cold to be a door stop this time a year.

    Postman delivers, Jan 13, 2006
  9. Postman Delivers

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the Promise card is not failing and in need of replacing, maybe the drive is
    failing? Absolutely the best way to figure this out is to run the diagnostics
    available from the drive manufacturer's web site. Do not reach any conclusion
    until you have done so... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 13, 2006