    Disk 1: FR500200.EXE 469kB
    Date: 17 Jun 1999

    Item Number: REFBIOS00300100
    Entry Date: 16 Sep 1998
    Version: 2.06
    Operating System: OS independent
    Applies to: BIOS
    FTP) Download:
    Disk 1: disk1_1.exe 560kB
    Date: 16 Sep 1998

    What confuses me is that version 2.06 shows an earlier date, 16 Sep 1998,
    than version 2.00, 17 Jun 1999. Moreover, my board lists the BIOS as
    version 1.09 (#20631) but has a date of 11/08/99 which is later than both
    above. On my board, the entire string at the bottom of the POST screen is:
    11/08/1999-SiS-5598-W877-2A5IIG5CC. Does anyone know if I have the latest
    BIOS version or whether the versions above are later? TIA,
    Mark

    mdp, Jul 14, 2003

  2. mdp

    mdp Guest

    I'm not ready to try v2.00 or v2.06 just yet. My v1.09 sees disks over 40GB
    fine and works great. I was asking to learn if the other versions provided
    more features to 'entice' me to flash. I like to experiment but I am also
    cautious. I would, however, like to save my v1.09 BIOS for archival
    purposes but have not found any version of Awdflash that will let me, I've
    tried v5.20, v6.03, v7.30, and v8.10b. I've tried using switches, e.g.,

    Awdflash origbios.bin /pn /sy

    but to no avail. I've tried running the application, put in a bogus flash
    file (to ensure it doesn't try and flash) and then 'yes' to save, doesn't
    work. Anyone know why or how?

    Also, it appears this MB may be the same as BCM's IN5558
    http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/in5598/IN5598.htm although BCM doesn't show two
    revision types (I've concluded that I have PB850 Rev B). Can anyone
    comment?
    Thanks,
    mdp

    --
    Please de-spam my address if replying to me
    I have a "US Made" PB MM955 w/PB850 mb. I tried using the BIOS

    I am currently using the v1.09 BIOS update in my PC. I know that version
    does recognize 40GB HDD's, the 1.07 version did not work for that size HDD.
    I have a Seagate 40GB HDD installed. I do not know if it will work for a
    larger HDD.

    I remember reading, that there was a "caution notice" with the 2.o6 or 2.07
    version of the BIOS, concerning a IDE controller conflict, I think. And that
    they might have updated the 2.00 version, so that the 2.06 or 2.07 version
    would installed properly.

    Be very careful when flashing/updating your motherboard, you could render
    your motherboard useless if done improperly. If offered, always use the
    back-up feature for the older version of BIOS, when flashing/updating.

    --
    Hope this helpful!!!
    Rich/rerat

    I found the following BIOS updates for the PB850 Rev B MB on the internet at
    this site:

    http://www.packardbell.co.uk/support/node201.asp

    Item Number: REFBIOS00300200
    Entry Date: 17 Jun 1999
    Version: 2.00
    Date: 17 Jun 1999

    mdp, Jul 16, 2003

  3. mdp

    Rich/rerat Guest

    I have the BIOS files for v.1.09 in a *.ZIP file if you need a copy of it. It is about 150KB in size. It includes the Awdflash file you need.

    I don't think that there are any reasons to go beyond v.1.09.

    --
    Hope this helpful!!!
    Rich/rerat

    Drop the "nospam", for replies.

    Date: 17 Jun 1999

    Rich/rerat, Jul 16, 2003
  4. mdp

    Ben Myers Guest

    My rule of thumb is that unless there is a specific problem to be solved or
    feature to be taken advantage of, do not update a motherboard BIOS. One false
    move and the board can be history... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 16, 2003
  5. mdp

    mdp Guest

    I experiment as a hobby. The cost of a board to me is simply the cost of
    the hobby. Pretty cheap as far as hobbies go. I take some risks but learn
    more. In the several years I've been "experimenting", I haven't been burned
    yet where I couldn't recover (had to hot flash once). I've posted here and
    other places before. It's easy to look me up. In situations where you're
    working on the machine you or your family uses, I agree completely with Ben,
    if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

    --
    Please de-spam my address if replying to me

    mdp, Jul 17, 2003
  6. mdp

    mdp Guest

    Hi,
    I got your email offering the BIOS - thanks. I responded back but I'm not
    sure you got it. I definitely would like it. Thanks.
    Mark

    Date: 17 Jun 1999

    mdp, Jul 19, 2003
  7. mdp

    NewB Guest

    Is that mb the original? or is MM955 different from 955?

    I bought a model 955 new and it has a different mb and bios. I think
    mine came with bios 1.09 or 1.10 but i since flashed it to 1.19:

    packard bell 955, pb930 mb
    BIOS Date: 01/15/99
    BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    BIOS ID: 01/15/1999-ALADDIN5-2A5KKG5DC-00
    OEM Sign-On: FR510 BIOS REV: 1.19
    Chipset: ALi M1541 rev 4

    I have seen comments about a later dated bios from PB for the 930/950
    boards, 10/99 i think, but haven't found an open source for it.

    NewB, Aug 5, 2003
  8. mdp

    Rich/rerat Guest

    I think PBell built the original Multi-Media (MM) 955 units with some motherboards (PB850mb) that they had left over from other PB models. Because this motherboard used the older EDO Simms RAM. Units after a certain date, I believe were built with another motherboard that used SDRAM RAM chips. Which I believe was the PB930/950mb. The same motherboard the PBell/NEC used in their NEC Ready 9888 PC.

    Many of the Memory Chip (Crucial, Kingston, etc...) companies would only list the 930/950mb for the MM955 PC in their chip list.

    There is an article about AMD & PBell in the summer of 1998 concerning the use of 333 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow CPU. It can be found at the following URL:

    "AMD-based desktop models include the Packard Bell 955 and NEC Ready 9888. Both will use the 333-MHz AMD K6-2 chip."

    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-217099.html?tag=bplst

    Info on my MM955, built in 10/98, purchased 11/98.

    333 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: SiS-5598-W877F V1.09
    Serial Number: 11/08/99 (I think is the BIOS date. Original BIOS was version 1.03 [1998])
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 11/08/99

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    Rich/rerat, Aug 7, 2003
  9. mdp

    Trash_44fr

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2019
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello,
    I'm late to the party but I'm also looking for the v1.09 BIOS for the PB850 MB.
    Thanks !

    Trash_44fr, Sep 22, 2019