Need helping attaching the wiring in a Silverstone TJ04

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Kompu Kid, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    I posted this in a smaller internet forum but no help yet. Your
    comments are appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Deguza

    ----------------------------

    I got a TJ04 case from a friend. I did not get a manual and looking at
    the Silverstone site there may not be any.

    The wiring in TJ04 are not terminated with multi-wire connectors. I am
    finding it a bit difficult to figure out where individual wires need
    to be attached.

    I looked around on Internet to see if there are any photographs or
    graphic guides, so far I could not find any.

    Anybody on this forum that may be aware of site sites?

    Alternately can anyone recommend a course of action for me please?

    A list of TJ04's wiring labels and my MSI P43 NE03 are here:

    http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=summary&_c=BlogPart

    Kompu Kid, Jan 8, 2009

  2. Kompu Kid

    Dave Guest

    Wiring of the Silverstone TJ04
    L-OUT
    R-OUT
    L-RET
    R-RET
    GROUND

    -----------------
    1 GROUND
    1 +D
    1 -D
    1 VCC
    -----------------
    1 GROUND
    1 +D
    1 -D
    1 VCC
    -----------------
    2 GROUND
    2 +D
    2 -D
    2 VCC
    -----------------
    2 GROUND
    2 +D
    2 -D
    2 VCC
    -----------------

    GROUND
    MIC POWER
    MIC-IN
    -----------------

    TPA +
    TPB -
    VP
    TPA -
    TPB +
    VG
    SHIELD
    -----------------

    PAIRS OF COLORED WIRES TERMINATED WITH TWO-HOLE CONNECTORS:
    POWER SW-P LED
    +P LED
    HDD LE

    RESET SW
    -----------------
    SINGLE wIRE THAT IS TERMINATED WITH A THREE-HOLE CONNECTOR LEADING TO THE
    FAN ON THE FRONT PANEL.

    This is all pretty standard stuff. If you've got the motherboard manual,
    you should be able to hook all this up in several minutes of
    inkering. -Dave

    Dave, Jan 8, 2009

  3. Kompu Kid

    Paul Guest

    The "manual" is pretty crappy.

    http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/tj02-04manual.jpg

    Looks like pretty standard stuff.
    http://www.ocmodshop.com/images/reviews/cases/silverstonetj04/jumpers.jpg

    Ref: HDaudio header explained - PDF page 23
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\A2928604.pdf

    Ref: HDaudio jack sense - PDF page 172
    ftp://download.intel.com/standards/hdaudio/pdf/HDAudio_03.pdf

    *******
    Wiring of the Silverstone TJ04
    L-OUT
    R-OUT
    L-RET <----- Not used, since motherboard uses HDaudio sound
    R-RET <----- Not used, since motherboard uses HDaudio sound
    GROUND

    GROUND
    MIC POWER
    MIC-IN

    JAUD1
    MIC-IN ---------> MIC_L X X GND ------------- one or both GROUND wires
    MIC-Power <--------- MIC_R X X NC
    L-OUT <-------Lineout_R X X (Jack_Detect_Return_via_resistor_gnd)
    (Jack_Detect_Send) X (no pin)
    R-OUT <-------Lineout_L X X (Jack_Detect_Return_via_resistor_gnd)

    If properly designed, the GROUND signal on the above two cables, will
    be joined inside the front panel of the Silverstone case. Connect
    one GROUND, then test both the headphones and microphone jack. If
    both work, you're done. If one of the two jacks does not work (and
    you've eliminated problems with control panel settings or mixer
    settings), then you'll need to electrically join the two GROUND
    wires, where they connect to the GND pin on the above header.

    Normally, you'd be connected wires to five pins on JAUD1. The other
    Jack Detect and Presence stuff, is not used. Only a few computer
    cases have a full implementation of HDaudio, and the five wire
    subset is the most common thing you'll find.
    -----------------
    This one is USB. There are two USB interfaces on one 2x5 header.
    One set goes on one side, the other set goes on the other side.

    1 GROUND
    1 +D
    1 -D
    1 VCC

    VCC ---> VCC X X VCC <--- VCC
    D- ---> USB0- X X USB1- <--- D-
    D+ ---> USB0+ X X USB1+ <--- D+
    GROUND --> GND X X GND <--- GROUND
    (No pin) X NC (no connect)

    -----------------
    This set is Firewire. The manual I'm looking at, says
    Firewire is optional, and I don't know if your motherboard
    includes it or not. Firewire is also known as IEEE 1394.

    TPA +
    TPB -
    VP
    TPA -
    TPB +
    VG
    SHIELD
    J1394_1

    TPA+ TPA+ X X TPA- TPA-
    Ground X X Ground VG
    TPB+ TPB+ X X TPB- TPB-
    Cable_power X X Cable_power VP
    (no pin) X X Ground SHIELD

    I do not recommend wiring this up. If the motherboard
    has a Firewire (1394a) connector in the I/O area, use it instead.
    Firewire devices are expensive, so a wiring error on this
    port can result in expensive damage (camcorder, firewire audio).
    Normally, a couple VP and VG wires might be used, to
    better carry the Firewire bus power when needed.

    What I do when wiring front panel Firewire, is use a multimeter
    to at least verify which Firewire connector pins on the front
    panel, are connected to VP or VG pins. You can screw up the TPxx
    (data) pins without much chance of hurting something, but
    getting some power wiring wrong (VP,VG) could spell trouble
    for an expensive Firewire device.
    -----------------
    PAIRS OF COLORED WIRES TERMINATED WITH TWO-HOLE CONNECTORS:
    POWER SW
    -P LED
    +P LED
    HDD LED
    RESET SW

    Use JFP1 for Power LED, HDD LED, Power Switch, Reset Switch.
    The polarity of Power Switch and Reset Switch doesn't matter.
    They can be rotated either way. The two LEDs have a polarity
    requirement. If the LED won't light, simply turn off the power
    and rotate the connector to reverse the polarity. If the LED
    polarity is not marked, I'd assume the white wire is (-),
    while the non-white wire is (+).

    JFP1
    HDD_LED (+) X X Power_LED
    HDD_LED (-) X X Power_LED
    Reset_Switch __/ X X \__ Power_Switch
    \ X X /
    (make no connection) X (no pin)

    The only time the switch polarity would matter, is if
    the body of the switch was part of the electrical circuit.
    Computer cases usually have plenty of plastic around
    the switches, such that there is no way for them to
    do anything other than float electrically. Thus, the
    polarity doesn't matter.

    Since MSI refuses to put a nominal label for polarity
    for the power switch, you can try the first time with
    (+) on the top right pin. I expect MSI is implying
    that a bicolor LED is to be connected to the header,
    but not every case will be using one of those. They
    should at least have marked the header with a (+) and (-).

    If the span of the Power LED connector on the Silverstone
    twisted wire is three pins wide, use JFP2 for the Power LED
    connection. If the span of the Power LED is only two pins,
    you can use the location on JFP1.

    If the computer case has a Speaker cable (for the system beep),
    you can connect that to JFP2. Speakers normally float, and
    polarity should not matter, but since MSI has marked the
    polarity on the diagram, you can follow it. If there is
    no (+) and (-) on the SPKR connector, assume the white
    wire is (-) and the non-white wire is (+).
    -----------------
    SINGLE wIRE THAT IS TERMINATED WITH A THREE-HOLE CONNECTOR LEADING TO THE FAN ON THE FRONT PANEL.

    Connect the fan wire to SYSFAN1, as it is near the
    front of the computer case. SYSFAN2 can be used for
    a rear fan. CPUFAN1 is used for the CPU fan. Either
    a three pin or four pin CPU cooler can be used. The
    plastic tab on each header, will guide the insertion
    of the plug. It should only (easily) fit one way.

    *******
    (The pinout information you provided...)

    Motherboard: MSI P43 NEO3

    JFP1
    PIN SIGNAL DESCRIPTION
    1 HD_LED + Hard disk LED pull-up
    2 FPPWR/SLP MSG LED pull-up
    3 HD_LED Hard disk active LED
    4 FPPWR/SLP MSG LED pull-up
    5 RST_SW Reset Switch low reference pull-down to GND
    6 PWR_SW + Power Switch high reference pull-up
    7 RST_SW + Reset Switch high reference pull-up
    8 PWR_SW-PowerSwitch lowreference pull-down to GND
    9 RSVD_DNU Reserved. Do not use.

    -----------------
    JFP2

    PIN SIGNAL DESCRIPTION
    1 GND Ground
    2 SPK-Speaker
    3 SLED SuspendLED
    4 BUZ+ Buzzer+
    5 PLED PowerLED
    6 BUZ-Buzzer
    7 NC Noconnection
    8 SPK+ Speaker+

    -----------------
    JAUD1

    PIN SIGNAL DESCRIPTION
    1 MIC_L Microphone -Left channel
    2 GND Ground
    3 MIC_R Microphone -Right channel
    4 NC
    5 LINE out_R Analog Port -Right channel
    6 MIC_JD Jack detection return from front panel microphone JACK1
    7 Front_JD Jack detectionsenselinefrom the High Definition Audio CODEC
    jack detection resistor network
    8 NC No control
    9 LINE out_L Analog Port -Left channel
    10 LINEout_JD Jack detection return from frontpanel JACK2

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 8, 2009