    don't need a card that supports Raid, all it has to do is support the DVD
    Drives and allow booting from them. Or...I can't believe I am the only one
    with this issue - is there something I'm doing wrong? Help is needed.

    Ken, Mar 17, 2008

  2. Ken

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    I don't have the answer to your problem, but I believe that you should be
    able to use a SATA optical drive on the Intel controller without trouble.

    My mainboard (Abit IP35 Pro) uses an ICH9R chipset, which is quite similar
    to your ICH8R. I have 4 disks in a RAID 10 array, and a SATA DVD burner. I
    didn't have to do anything special to get the optical drive recognized. The
    controller is set to RAID in the BIOS settings. My OS is Vista Home Premium
    X64.

    At boot-up, the BIOS messages includes one that an ACHI BIOS is installed.
    (Until I installed the SATA optical drive, I got a message that the ACHI
    BIOS was *not* installed.)

    Good luck.

    Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    Bob Knowlden, Mar 17, 2008

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I also have an abit IP35 Pro MB (really like it except abit does not honor
    their rebates!!) and it works just like you say but my "old" ASUS P5B Deluxe
    BIOS looks different and does not work the same. Seems like the IP35
    BIOS/Chipset lets you look at each SATA port but once you say Raid in the
    P5B its all Raid or at least it does not like my SATA DVD drive. The system
    boots like everything is OK but Vista will not read data from the drive. As
    a last resort I will try de-raiding the ASUS system and see if it will
    handle that configuration. I had this same problem a year ago when I built
    the ASUS system but I thought the latest and greatest BIOS might solve the
    problem.

    Ken, Mar 18, 2008
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I stand corrected! The Intel controller on the P5B Deluxe supports Raid and
    SATA DVD/CD Drives - it just does not show it in the BIOS like the abit IP
    35 Pro board. I was using a defective CD! As soon as I used a different CD
    everything worked properly. Thanks for the response it made me rethink what
    the #$%^ was going on.

    Ken, Mar 21, 2008