    will be awesome.
    Thanks,
    Jay

    J.B. & Kathy, Sep 28, 2005

  2. J.B. & Kathy

    Hawkeye Guest

    ASUS A8V DELUXE if your going AMD is a good choice

    Hawkeye, Sep 28, 2005

  3. J.B. & Kathy

    Phil Guest

    Phil, Sep 28, 2005
  4. J.B. & Kathy

    farmuse Guest

    farmuse, Sep 28, 2005
  5. Not wishing to be funny about it, but if you are building a new system
    around a card, why isn't the card PCI-E?
    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
    Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

    Julian Richards, Sep 28, 2005
  6. J.B. & Kathy

    DDC Guest

    sell the card before the price dro donw to 300$ can that way you will
    get an auther card pci-e like a x800 and benefit from a pci-e
    architecture witch deliver smooter frame rate "not the x800 card" the
    pci-e slot. imo.

    DDC, Sep 28, 2005
  7. J.B. & Kathy

    JK Guest

    I recommend any ASUS motherboard with an Nvidia or ATI chipset, AGP, and the
    latest AMD socket (939 I think). Go AMD for gaming, absolutely the best
    bang for the buck.

    JK

    JK, Sep 28, 2005
  8. J.B. & Kathy

    Kevin Guest

    I assume you want an AMD64 cpu. If so, I would get this motherboard
    because it has both AGP and PCI-E (allows you to go PCI-E when it
    actually shows a benefit). Asrock is Asus.

    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16165&vpn=939DUAL-SATA2&manufacture=ASRock

    Kevin, Sep 28, 2005
  9. J.B. & Kathy

    J.B. & Kathy Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. I am planning on going with AMD so for now it
    looks like the ASUS A8V Deluxe is the one. This will certainly hold me for a
    couple years. Again thanks to all for your input.

    Jay

    J.B. & Kathy, Sep 28, 2005
  10. J.B. & Kathy

    Wookie Guest

    Go for the ASROCK 939SATA2

    Wookie, Sep 29, 2005
  11. J.B. & Kathy

    DDC Guest

    Have you try the agp 8x version ???.

    Anyway agp8x/pci-e are mostly the same but the name... pci-e are
    agp16x but with a different slot to make people buy supposedly new
    technologies.

    If it was't about the video card switching i would have done the move
    to 64cpu for long...

    DDC, Sep 29, 2005
  12. J.B. & Kathy

    TonyC Guest

    Whatever board you get it's the chipset that's most important, make sure
    it's nForce3/4.

    TonyC, Sep 29, 2005
  13. J.B. & Kathy

    farmuse Guest

    because it is not. because you can't have a device be two things.
    because he bought an AGP card. get over it.

    actually, the only compelling reason to go PCI-E is to upgrade to
    a new motherboard etc. AGP is still a fine and useful video protocol,
    despite what the industry says. I bet there are many many more people
    who will be using AGP in the next two years than there will be PCI-E
    simply because they have no need to upgrade. For every new PCI-E video
    card made today, there are hundreds of AGP cards that simply do not need
    to be replaced. Someday maybe, but the transition will be slow.

    farmuse, Sep 29, 2005
  14. J.B. & Kathy

    Kevin Guest

    Show me the benchmarks that prove what you say. No need, I already
    know you are full of it.

    Kevin, Sep 29, 2005
  15. J.B. & Kathy

    J. Clarke Guest

    It's actually a fair question.
    Which is exactly what the OP is doing.
    Which has exactly what relevance to the building of a completely new system?

    J. Clarke, Sep 29, 2005
  16. J.B. & Kathy

    TonyC Guest

    The end is nigh for AGP cards, newer models don't even come in AGP format
    only PCI Express.

    Whats the point of building a new PC to stick with AGP!?!

    Julian Richards, Sep 29, 2005
  18. J.B. & Kathy

    farmuse Guest

    right, and the op has an AGP card

    because many people build a new machine when what they have is
    fine. AGP is fine. PCI-E, SLI, and all that is silly stuff, the only
    reason to upgrade is if you HAVE TO in order to run newer apps, and the
    only reason to buy PCI-E is because that motherboard does not have an
    AGP slot. People buy what they really don't need.

    farmuse, Sep 29, 2005
  19. J.B. & Kathy

    farmuse Guest

    Whats the point of building a new PC to stick with AGP!?!

    That's a reasonable question.

    there are still plenty of motherboards that support AGP that
    are good choices, some folks do like to save money. lots of those
    motherboards are at bargain prices too.

    farmuse, Sep 29, 2005
  20. J.B. & Kathy

    J. Clarke Guest

    Which specific "newer models" do you have in mind?
    That's a reasonable question.

    J. Clarke, Sep 29, 2005