    stealing is OK if you don't like the person or company from whom you are
    stealing. I think that would be a particularly powerful message for you to
    impart on your children.

    Tom Scales, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Dan

    Dave C. Guest

    Odd. The few times I've installed linux, it's been easier to install AND
    use than any version of windows, including windows XP. The only thing
    that's stopping linux from dominating the OS market is Microsoft Office*.
    The "compatible" programs for linux will never be compatible enough,
    unfortunately. Yes, they can open and save files in Microsoft office
    format. The problem is, you don't know UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE if anybody ELSE
    can open those files. -Dave

    *That, and games. But if most businesses switched to linux, you'd see more
    games ported to linux soon enough.

    Dave C., Jan 21, 2005

  3. Dan

    Mac Cool Guest

    Dave C.:
    You're a Linux phenom.

    Mac Cool, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Dan

    BobR Guest

    IsaacKuo wrote in message
    When I first got my Debian CDs, I had to use Parted(command-line) before I
    could do anything. I was so impressed, I will never use ms fdisk if I have a
    choice(parted, cfdisk, etc.)!
    The real mind-blower for me was the fact you can change the kernel to what
    you want.
    I took out things I knew this machine would never need, 'moduled' the things
    I thought I may need in the future, and 'built-in' the things I do need.
    Stock kernel booted in about 40 seconds, my kernel boots in about 10 seconds
    and has never crashed (knock on wood.).

    Then I have another partition on another drive (hdb) with Debian
    Sid(unstable) installed, which runs much more stable than the Woody(release)
    install.
    My lilo-conf is a real mess, but, it all works, {linux, linux-old, linuxSid,
    win98[1]}.
    I go back, and forth. I'm learning/working in C++ with wxWidgets, and want
    to be sure my programs compile/run in Linux and windows.

    Well, enough babble, I think I'll fire up an IDE somewhere and tinker!

    [1] - I successfully installed win95b on this Pentium 4, but it wouldn't
    run, wonder why (duh! <G>). I won't go winXP!!

    BobR, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Dan

    kony Guest

    Even so, you just gave them justification...
    If the prior version is defective, they're entitled to money
    back or a working replacement. User can't steal what they
    paid for right? If they pay for an OS (like XP) that's
    marketed as secure, and the email client can't even open an
    email without risk of infection, unless
    patched/safeguarded/virus-scanned, extra measures, it's not
    secure. XP is defective too, IMO. I don't think anyone
    should steal windows, rather that MS should be forced to
    patch it. They should be fined so severely for every day
    these issues go unaddressed that within a year, if all but
    the obscure problems aren't fixed then they're bankrupt.

    In a way this kinda parallels the whole situation with the
    RIAA, people stealing MP3s. Some may just do it because
    they can, but others aren't willing to pay $15+ for a CD
    with only one or two songs they want. Same people might not
    be willing to pay MS over $100 for defect pathes, USB2, or
    48bit LBA support (and still not get defect resolution??),
    they just want what they paid for already to be supported,
    not in a half-assed fashion but appropriate to the profits
    made, the price of it.

    I don't think WInXP brings enough value-added featues
    (beyond those things that should've be patched in past OS)
    that most people would pay over $100 if they already have a
    prior OS license. Well actually I think it's detrimental to
    add the features to 2K that MS did then call it XP, but I
    digress. Perhaps some had OEM license that is
    non-transferrible, but others didn't. A complex issue with
    so many variables, and it doesn't help that some people may
    feel cheated. It is complex because it is legally stealing,
    by a government that does not hold MS to the standards of
    defect or monopoly seen elsewhere, many people ARE forced to
    choose windows as Linux is not a viable alternative for
    them.

    Then again I can't read minds, some might just do it because
    they can. I'd heard that MS is checking licenses now for
    some of (all but the most critical?) windows updates and
    denying people, so at least those "stealing" windows aren't
    able to continually update it, but that doesn't diminish
    that I still think MS should have to patch their past
    versions of windows for _paying_ customers. They did make
    billion$ off of them, is that too much to expect even if it
    weren't legally necessary (excepting that our goverment
    seems to apply different standards to the software industry,
    and MS in particular, compared to other industries). I
    suppose my advice is to pay for windows but jump ship as
    soon as linux meets one's needs. That is, if one doesn't
    feel Windows is worth paying for.

    kony, Jan 21, 2005
  6. Dan

    Craig Guest

    Linux has patches to
    http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletinsByType/vndr_linux_bulletins.html

    Craig

    Craig, Jan 21, 2005
  7. Dan

    Dave C. Guest

    Translation: I can put the disc in the drive. -Dave

    Dave C., Jan 21, 2005
  8. Dan

    Sparky Guest

    Sparky, Jan 22, 2005
  9. Dan

    Mac Cool Guest

    kony:
    Just a note, the only reason I consider 95/98 defective is because of
    the inherent memory leak that required the system to be rebooted
    occasionally.
    Opinion doesn't justify theft even if it's my opinion ;)

    Mac Cool, Jan 22, 2005
  10. Dan

    kony Guest

    So if I offer to sell you a tomato, but mail you an apple...
    if you come over and pick a tomato off my vine did you steal
    it?

    kony, Jan 22, 2005
  11. Dan

    Phred Guest

    Maybe sacrifice your prejudices rather than your principles?

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Jan 22, 2005
  12. Dan

    Brooks Moses Guest

    Yes.

    Arguably you've also stolen his money, but two wrongs don't make a
    right.

    - Brooks

    Brooks Moses, Jan 22, 2005
  13. Dan

    kony Guest

    Nope.

    Once I have accepted payment he didn't.
    Arguably I've committed fraud, but there aren't TWO wrongs.

    Problem is, this applies to the concept of stealing but not
    directly to windows. Since MS never patched windows, one
    cannot "take" the tomato, and grabs a pear instead... that
    would be stealing, except that if I'd defrauded millions of
    people with my apple scheme, I'd be in prison already.
    There's the double-standard, MS appears to be above the law.

    kony, Jan 22, 2005
  14. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! The rest of your shite was as fuckwitted as that line,
    you fucking brain-dead twat.

    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?=, Jan 23, 2005