    seies. It'sonly a 200-250 watt supply, but I've always heard that
    these use proprietary connections. Is/was this true?

    Damian

    Damian, Apr 18, 2007

  2. Damian

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yes, it's true. Good news is they still should be plentiful via aftermarket
    (ebay, etc.) Hopefully fairly cheap.

    If you mean you have an XPS R Dimension, you should be able to use any power
    supply from these models:

    XPS T
    XPS B or Br
    XPS Z (aka Dimension 4100)

    ....I'm not positive, but older XPS D, H models might work as well. The
    above I'm sure of.

    Happy hunting -

    Stew

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 19, 2007

  3. Damian

    Ben Myers Guest

    Stu et al,

    For sure the PSU on the older Dimension D units has the same perverted ATX
    connector. Also the Optiplex tower and desktop P2 and P3 systems.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 19, 2007
  4. PCPower&Cooling makes Dell power supplies with the
    proprietary plug. They even come with SATA power, now. See:
    http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/selector/dell.htm

    For the Dell XPS-Rxxx series, there is this:
    http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S36D

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Apr 19, 2007
  5. Damian

    paulmd Guest

    Yes, but you can find them easy. Power supply failures in Dells seem
    to be uncommon. In this era anyway.

    The R series is a pentium 2, which is definitely the proprietary
    version. I don't recall if the pentium Pros were the same connectors
    or not.

    paulmd, Apr 19, 2007
  6. Damian

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm fairly sure that they are. The proprietary ATX connector actually started
    back in the Pentium baby AT days! Intel made an OEM baby AT Socket 7
    motherboard with the ATX-type connector on it, instead if the usual side-by-side
    ones.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 19, 2007